Post Match Hull 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams did have the odd good game, which is why it's a fair comparison imo, in that his attempted flashiness and occasional good performance seemed to make people think he's actually doing something instead of giving the ball away.

There were plenty of people who thought Williams was a very good player when he was actually here, same with Stephen Hughes as well, but in hindsight I think everybody now realises they weren't. I think the same will probably be true of Wellens too, in that after he's left us, he'll be seen as being very medicore players for us whose occasional glimpses of great play were few and far between and I'm starting to think the same will happen with Gallagher and Dyer as well.

I do think Wellens is definitely better than Gareth Williams was fwiw, but not by enough. If we want to be challenging for automatic promotion we need much better.

Last edited:
But we must be promoted NOW
You jest, but some seem to think so. I'd rather see us go up in a couple of years and be in a position to stay there, rather than go up this season and come straight back down, which is almost certainly what would happen without a major rebuilding project (again) because so many of our players are mediocre even in this division.

And why on earth were we second favourites for the title before the season began?

You jest, but some seem to think so. I'd rather see us go up in a couple of years and be in a position to stay there, rather than go up this season and come straight back down, which is almost certainly what would happen without a major rebuilding project (again) because so many of our players are mediocre even in this division.

And why on earth were we second favourites for the title before the season began?

because our manager was a wiz in the transfer market

Completely agree, BM.

The mistake we made last season was using the January transfer window as a short-term one trying to get players in on short-term deals to try and get us promoted last season, rather than using it to start to build the squad for next season.

I hope we don't make the same mistake again. 4 or 5 permanent transfers needed at most in January really, short-term loan deals shouldn't really be thought about unless there is a possibility of us getting the players again next season, either on permanent or another loan. We don't want to see the revolving doors of loans like we did last time out.

We were second favourites because we spent so much, unfortunately SGE seemed to spend it all on quantity rather than quality and now we are choc-a-block with too many similar an average players.

Last edited:
I said post-Bristol City...a team takes time to build, not six months. The transfer policy was plain crackers in the Summer and there was a massive lack of logic behind the signings (see Cardiff on how to build a squad with options). We could have signed a maximum of five players and probably be well within the Top 10 ie. our current position.

We were second favourites because we spent so much, unfortunately SGE seemed to spend it all on quantity rather than quality and now we are choc-a-block with too many similar an average players.
The logic behind it is nonsense though. Even if we'd signed a whole team of Premier League-standard players (which we emphatically did not - we signed, at best, three) the fact is you can't just put a group of good players together and expect promotion. Going into this season, there were at least eight or ten sides better prepared for a promotion push. City shouldn't have even been mentioned.

I think Sven picked up some good central midfielders.... Fernandes and Johnson have the ability to be top players in this division, but it just hasn't come off yet. I want to see Fernandes playing in there with King and drop Wellens. The problem is just that we have so many centre mids and they're nearly all defensive. There isn't any pace or creativity in there.

I think we need 3 players in January. Two wingers, and I think Nige may look for another centre back (although if Tunch can get fit, maybe not).

I hope we don't make the same mistake again. 4 or 5 permanent transfers needed at most in January really, short-term loan deals shouldn't really be thought about unless there is a possibility of us getting the players again next season, either on permanent or another loan. We don't want to see the revolving doors of loans like we did last time out.

I disagree.

Yes, we got far too many loans in last season when we probably would've been better served trying to get in players to build ready for this season. Don't forget though that we did try/were in talks to bring Yakubu and Naughton back, as well as some of the others as well I think.

Personally, I think one or two loans, if they improve the squad, are a good idea. Pearson did brilliantly here with loans the first time around. If he can find another Tom Cleverely or Mark Davies then I'd be very pleased.

Last edited:
Fair dos (dues? do's?), Graz. 1 or 2 loans wouldn't be so bad, just not the situation we had last season when we had several players on short term loans and then as soon as one went back we just got another.

Last edited:
Fair dos (dues? do's?), Graz. 1 or 2 loans wouldn't be so bad, just not the situation we had last season when we had several players on short term loans and then as soon as one went back we just got another.
Do you remember a time when you didn't edit every post?

The logic behind it is nonsense though. Even if we'd signed a whole team of Premier League-standard players (which we emphatically did not - we signed, at best, three) the fact is you can't just put a group of good players together and expect promotion. Going into this season, there were at least eight or ten sides better prepared for a promotion push. City shouldn't have even been mentioned.

I disagree. It depends on the individuals: Look at Charlton after 17 or however many signings it was this summer.

I think the fact just remains that imo our squad simply isn't that good and is no better than when NP left the first time, yes, yes, it has more "depth," but our first choice XI isn't any better, I think the fact NP has gone back to his old guard with regards to the midfield and we haven't looked any worse for it just underlines this.

Tbf, Hazzman has been saying this since about August, I think it took me a couple of months to realise the players we had signed are no better than the 09/10 side, which was why I found all this "if we rehire Pearson, it will be a step backwards" talk in the build up to his rehiring rather strange, what indication has there been that we ever actually went forwards from the 09/10 team for us to go backwards from it?

Last edited:
Do you remember a time when you didn't edit every post?

No, BM. It's a sad habit of the obsessive personality, I'm afraid. I always seem to want to add/take away something from my post after I've posted it, sometimes several minutes afterwards even.

edit: Or in case of the last 2 posts, the sad habit of the perpetual mistake ridden typer. I really should proof read my posts before I post them.

Last edited:
I disagree. It depends on the individuals: Look at Charlton after 17 or however many signings it was this summer.
I didn't say it couldn't ever work. Sometimes a squad is just rotten to the core and needs to be ripped apart and entirely rebuilt (see Leicester 2008, Forest 2005, Coventry 2012). Sometimes it works immediately. Sometimes it takes time.
I think the fact just remains that imo our squad simply isn't that good and is no better than when NP left the first time, yes, yes, it has more "depth," but our first choice XI isn't any better, I think the fact NP has gone back to his old guard with regards to the midfield and we haven't looked any worse for it just underlines this.
I agree.
Tbf, Hazzman has been saying this since about August, I think it took me a couple of months to realise the players we had signed are no better than the 09/10 side, which was why I found all this "if we rehire Pearson, it will be a step backwards" talk in the build up to his rehiring rather strange, what indication has there been that we ever actually went forwards from the 09/10 team for us to go backwards from it?
The departures of certain Pearson signings (specifically Neilson, N'Guessan, Morrison, Hobbs, Kermorgant and Waghorn) and also Fryatt were certainly representative of forward movement. My reservations were mostly because of Pearson's history of falling out with, and holding grudges against, some players at the expense of the team.

Last edited:
No, BM. It's a sad habit of the obsessive personality, I'm afraid. I always seem to want to add/take away something from my post after I've posted it, sometimes several minutes afterwards even.

edit: Or in case of the last 2 posts, the sad habit of the perpetual mistake ridden typer. I really should proof read my posts before I post them.
Now I'm doing it.

The departures of certain Pearson signings (specifically Neilson, N'Guessan, Morrison, Hobbs, Kermorgant and Waghorn) and also Fryatt were certainly representative of forward movement. My reservations were mostly because of Pearson's history of falling out with, and holding grudges against, some players at the expense of the team.

Several of those players were good players under Pearson though and better than the players we have in their positions now. Sousa or SGE just couldn't get the best out of them or refused to play them for one reason or another.

Several of those players were good players under Pearson though and better than the players we have in their positions now. Sousa or SGE just couldn't get the best out of them or refused to play them for one reason or another.
I can't think which players you mean. Neilson, Kermorgant and N'Guessan should never have been anywhere near second tier football. Hobbs and Morrison are/were certainly nowhere near the standard of Sol Bamba (although admittedly they're arguably better than Mills has been). Inconsistent Fryatt and plainly substandard Waghorn aren't of the same quality as Nugent or Beckford, and don't have as much to offer in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670