Post Match Hull 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think which players you mean. Neilson, Kermorgant and N'Guessan should never have beenanywhere near second tier football. Hobbs and Morrison are/were certainly nowhere near the standard of Sol Bamba (although admittedly they're arguably better than Mills has been). Inconsistent Fryatt and plainly substandard Waghorn aren't of the same quality as Nugent or Beckford, and don't have as much to offer in the future.

Neilson and N'Guessan were crap. Kermorgant, I always thought showed potential and should have been given more of a chance, but that's by the by as he didn't show anything here.

I guess we'll have to strongly disagree on the Hobbs and Morrison vs Mills and Bamba debate, they were both miles better under NP than Mills has been for us imo and while Bamba at his best it better than either, Hobbs and Morrison were both much more consistent than Bamba and I think more effective over an entire season, though nowhere near as fun to watch.

As Ive said before, I think people are forgetting just how good our defence was in 09/10 and how consistently good Morrison, Hobbs and Berner were that season, much better than any of our centre backs have been this season, though Koncheksy and Peltier have done well.

Though I think he will come good, there has been absolutely nothing from Beckford to suggest he's as good as Fryatt or Waghorn were under NP so far, let alone better than them and while I like Nugent, I am starting to wonder what he actually gains through his hard work and why he isn't scoring more. He is starting to remind me a little of some kind of mixture of Fryatt and Waghorn i.e. like Waghorn works hard, but isn't actually adding much to the team through his hard work. He's not really any more a prolific goalscorer than Fryatt and not really any more creative a player either. Though he's a much less frustrating player to watch, I'm not sure yet Nugent is actually any more effective for the team and our attack than Fryatt was.

Last edited:
Though I think he will come good, there has been absolutely nothing from Beckford to suggest he's as good as Fryatt or Waghorn were under NP so far, let alone better than them and while I like Nugent, I am starting to wonder what he actually gains through his hard work and why he isn't scoring more. He is starting to remind me a little of some kind of mixture of Fryatt and Waghorn i.e. like Waghorn works hard, but isn't actually adding much to the team through his hard work. He's not really any more a prolific goalscorer than Fryatt and not really any more creative a player either. Though he's a much less frustrating player to watch, I'm not sure yet Nugent is actually any more effective for the team and our attack than Fryatt was.
I feel Nugent and Beckford would be much better with a decent midfield. If only we had some way of finding out.

I get what you're saying, BM and I've thought the same, but after the last few games now I'm starting to question whether I can just blame their lack of goals on lack of service. I remember at the start of the season people saying "Nugent did everything but score" and I found myself thinking the same about him against Blackpool too, I'm starting to wonder if he's just not that good a finisher. One thing I can't criticise us for since NP has come in, bar maybe against Hull (which is understandable given us being down to 10 men for the majority of the game) is our ability to create chances, we have been creating plenty of chances since NP came back.

Time will tell anyway, but I certainly think it's too early to start saying blankly these are definitely better players than the players they replaced (i.e. Fryatt) when they haven't been any more prolific goalscorers than Fryatt was and they haven't really been creating any more than Fryatt did either. I agree, it could well just be down to lack of service in the way that we played under SGE, which is fair to point at, as we didn't create much under SGE, but we create a lot more under NP and I am now starting to wonder if that's not the case.

Last edited:
I feel Nugent and Beckford would be much better with a decent midfield. If only we had some way of finding out.

Seeing as it's basically now the midfield Pearson had when he was here, then surely you could say the same for Fryatt too, couldn't you?

I'm kind of just playing devil's (or Prof's) advocate because I do agree that Beckford and Nugent are better players than Fryatt, but I just feel Fryatt receives unwarranted criticism on here. He's already got 8 this season, which puts him 4th in the top scorers list (level with a few others) for the league. I still rate him as one of the top strikers in the Championship.

I think Hobbs is a good player, he just didn't fit in with Sven's building from the back style. Morrison is a bit of a weird one, because while he was good for us (although a bit inconsistent in the Championship from memory), only a League 1 club were interested in taking him from us.

Last edited:
Seeing as it's basically now the midfield Pearson had when he was here, then surely you could say the same for Fryatt too, couldn't you?

I'm kind of just playing devil's (or Prof's) advocate because I do agree that Beckford and Nugent are better players than Fryatt, but I just feel Fryatt receives unwarranted criticism on here. He's already got 8 this season, which puts him 4th in the top scorers list (level with a few others) for the league. I still rate him as one of the top strikers in the Championship.

I think Hobbs is a good player, he just didn't fit in with Sven's building from the back style. Morrison is a bit of a weird one, because while he was good for us (although a bit inconsistent in the Championship from memory), only a League 1 club were interested in taking him from us.

Yeah, agreed, Graz. I always thought Fryatt was a very good player for us under NP and is a good Championship striker and gets unwarranted stick, but I think that's the case with Fryatt, Weale, Hobbs, Berner and Morrison. IMO they are all good players, just that SGE and Sousa couldn't get the best out of them, for one reason or another, not playing them consistently may have had something to do with it.

I do think Nugent and Beckford will turn out to be better players for us than Fryatt was under NP, but I can't really say they have been on the evidence I've seen from them so far, Beckford has certainly been much worse and Nugent about the same. Sure Nugent is a harder worker and misses less easy chances, but that doesn't matter really, working hard and the percentage of easy chances you convert isn't going to get you promotion, aiding your side to help them score goals (be that through taking all your chances, easy or otherwise or just creating a lot of them) and/or aiding your side in helping them stop the other team from scoring is all that matters really and Nugent hasn't scored or created goals for others at any higher rate than Fryatt did and Beckford has done it at a much worse rate and that's what's going to get you promotion, not how hard you work.

Last edited:
I'm confident that Beckford will go on a goalscoring run soon, he would've had two against Blackpool were it not for two fantastic saves from Gilks and we can't really judge him on the game at Hull because he was hauled off after Mills was dismissed.

It's early days, but I think he's shown a marked improvement under Pearson and I reckon he'll get better too, he just doesn't seem to be getting the rub of the green at the minute. I do think Pearson will bring in a couple of midfielders in January - we can't rely on Dyer and Gallagher to provide the quality we need on the flanks. We're creating a fair amount of chances at the minute without really having a balanced, talented midfield, so with a couple of additions I think we can create a lot more for the front two.

I think NP will go into Jan with 4 players he needs to get to improve the team - Winger (Sterwart from Hull?), Attacking Mid (Koren maybe??), Striker - a powerfull tank target man and a back up CB

I think NP will go into Jan with 4 players he needs to get to improve the team - Winger (Sterwart from Hull?), Attacking Mid (Koren maybe??), Striker - a powerfull tank target man and a back up CB

I don't think we need any more CB's - Bamba, Mills, St Ledger and Tunchev are more than enough. I think we'll probably look at buying/loaning a couple of wide players and maybe have a look at getting an attacking midfielder in - someone in the mould of Mark Davies would be lovely.

I wouldn't mind seeing us trying to get Ravel Morrison on loan from Man U, seems to have a very bright future ahead of him. Adam Clayton from Leeds could be a good shout too I reckon.

Is that a handbag or a manbag that super stevie is sporting?

A manbag I think with his bits & bobs in. He was wheeling a fairly big suitcase across the car park when we stopped him so most of his stuff would have been in that. On his way back to the North East no doubt to visit his kids. I almost said to him to drive carefully but I thought he might think I was taking the piss.

And where has Ross got his right hand?!

Possibly picking Steve's pocket like he does mine.:icon_wink

Nigel Pearson did not come out from the ground with the rest of the players/staff as we were told that after the radio/TV interviews he was going back to his home in Sheffield and had his own car. Ross then wanted us to ask Nigel for a lift:icon_bigg

Nigel Pearson did not come out from the ground with the rest of the players/staff as we were told that after the radio/TV interviews he was going back to his home in Sheffield and had his own car. Ross then wanted us to ask Nigel for a lift:icon_bigg

Nigel can deal with Ian Stringer but I'm not sure he could handle Ross for a Q&A :icon_bigg

Ok here's my two-penneth worth. I was at the game, it was a penalty although hard to tell seeing it first hand. Why oh why bring prima donna Gally on when we have our backs to the wall with 10 men and then stick him up front when he didnt run or make much attempt to win the ball?????? He is what I call a 'luxury' (I use that term VERY loosely) and no good in the situation we found ourselves in on Saturday. The only players who I thought put decent shifts in were Konchesky (nice finish) and Dyer. Wellens was shit and Bamba was hit and miss - he gave the ball away too many times in their final third -he will get punished for that soon!!!

“2-1 the tigers with 78% of the ball played in your half and as for signing stewart not a chance as there is a clause in np contract to leave stating he cannot poach any hull player this season and as for a team in decline??? when was you last in the prem you should not forget where you have been the past 4/5 years???”

From the comments section on this Mockery report

So Koren and Stewart signings are off the menu for now then

Last edited:
From the comments section on this Mockery report

So Koren and Stewart signings are off the menu for now then

Yeah, that guy sounds like he's definitely in the know regarding clauses in Nigel Pearson's contract. Surely if Hull didn't want him to sign their players they can just refuse to sell them rather than wasting their time trying to negotiate some ludicrous clause? Sounds like a bitter Hull WUM.

Prof, what's all this Morrison and Hobbs stuff? I seem to remember NP preferring to play Hobbs plus A.N. Other with Mozza at right back. In fact, I seem to remember a few dodgy performances when the two of them played together in the centre...

Prof, what's all this Morrison and Hobbs stuff? I seem to remember NP preferring to play Hobbs plus A.N. Other with Mozza at right back. In fact, I seem to remember a few dodgy performances when the two of them played together in the centre...

Morrison played at right back most of the time, I thought he was very good there. I remember one game at The Walkers when a player (I forget the fixture) had gone clear of Hobbs, Weale was in no mans land and all this bloke had to do was sidefoot it into the net, then out of nowhere Morrison comes sliding across to clear and saved a certain goal. Anyone with a better memory than me remember that?

I think that season the first choice back four was:

Morrison - RB
Hobbs - CB
Brown - CB
Berner - LB

I've just gone through the 09/10 match reports and they played together 8 times in all competitios (at centre back).

Morrison, Hobbs, Brown, Berner were the preferred four. Brown was eventually replaced by Bruce. Solano was preferred to Morrison towards the end, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566