Hume - fractured skull

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought he got a lot of undeserved stick on here, just as Matty Fryatt sometimes does. .

I think most of the players last season deserved stick. However, Hume was less guilty than most. As for stick being undeserved I cannot think of any Leicester player this season who I think deserves stick though I have sometimes found Howard frustrating. I may change my mind on this if DJ Campbell hqas not learned the offside rule by his next appearance.

Another thought for you: To use the players I mentioned above, where would Morgan, Wise and Jones have fit into the 50s game? Would they have been kicked off the pitch? Would they indeed have made it as professionals?

The hardest player I ever saw was Eddie Clamp of Wolves though Tommy Banks (Bolton) and Jimmy Scoular (Newcastle) came close. I don't think anyone who remembers them would suggest that Dennis Wise was in the same class.
People have sanctified the memory of the Busbay Babes and especially Duncan Edwards (the most talented youngster I have ever seen) but Bobby Robson said that the thing he remembered about Duncan Edwards was that "he had a forearm like concrete."
One difference was that players then did not go down if they coujld help it. Bill Shankley would tell players "Never let them know they have hurt you."
I think the speed of the game may be one reasson for modern injuries. I think Blue maniac may have a good point when he suggests that frailer footballers just did not make it in those days.

I think most of the players last season deserved stick. However, Hume was less guilty than most. As for stick being undeserved I cannot think of any Leicester player this season who I think deserves stick though I have sometimes found Howard frustrating. I may change my mind on this if DJ Campbell hqas not learned the offside rule by his next appearance.

Oh dear.

If I continue to agree with you spion and me old mate Macky will think there's summat up, and Melts will do the 'i' word.

But actually. I do agree.... <cue bucket of bs from whoever's in a moany or ODD mode, or even OCD, judging by one interesting post tonight>

Oh dear.

If I continue to agree with you spion and me old mate Macky will think there's summat up, and Melts will do the 'i' word.

But actually. I do agree.... <cue bucket of bs from whoever's in a moany or ODD mode, or even OCD, judging by one interesting post tonight>

:shock:

read that yesterday a Welsh rugby player fractured his skull and carried on playing for 10 minutes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7756737.stm

AND????

Will he get his corpus callosum and his pre-frontal cortex and his temporal lobes back into working order by next Saturday? Or will he have one of those lovely question marks on his head that has been the subject of some merriment here?

Will he be just another brain injury that we kinda don't talk about unless they leave a guy paralysed and triplegic, in which case we set up a fund and bake cakes and send up balloons?

Freud/humour/transgression and way over the mark into inappropriate springs to mind.

But hey, what do I know? This is a man's world. :(

I'm clearly out of my depth.

Will he get his corpus callosum and his pre-frontal cortex and his temporal lobes back into working order by next Saturday? Or will he have one of those lovely question marks on his head that has been the subject of some merriment here?

Will he be just another brain injury that we kinda don't talk about unless they leave a guy paralysed and triplegic, in which case we set up a fund and bake cakes and send up balloons?

Freud/humour/transgression and way over the mark into inappropriate springs to mind.

I was just about to say that.

AND????

This is a man's world. :(

I'm clearly out of my depth.

Some poor blokes got a nasty head wound and all you can think about is baking him some cakes. Women.

A good nosh might be a bit more fitting with the scale of the injury. What does a guy have to do? Lose a leg?

What does a guy have to do? Lose a leg?

What "a guy has to do" is have a solicitor write a letter to the FA saying that he is going to take civil action once he has more information on the consequences of his injury and he will expect their cooperation.
It is a mistake to rely on "in-house law enforcement" which always (not just the FA) wants to avoid a crisis. It is always best to take legal action although he might be wise to accept a settlement out of court.
Have Gordon Taylor and the PFA made any comment to this injury to one of their members?.

Oh dear.

To agree with me is to agree with a self-confessed Blue Mongie who supports Andy King, thinks Max Gradel has talent, likes the work Alan Birchenall does for the club, is glad Milan bought the club and worst of all admires Ian Holloway.
Now you have stopped agreeing with me.

To agree with me is to agree with a self-confessed Blue Mongie who supports Andy King, thinks Max Gradel has talent, likes the work Alan Birchenall does for the club, is glad Milan bought the club and worst of all admires Ian Holloway.
Now you have stopped agreeing with me.

I am a friend and telly-conspirator of The Birch (did you ever see us together on Central Weekend? We were magic!) I like Max Gradel very much, but believe he is a warm-weather player, and in my head I kinda liked Holloway, as a guy, but found him inept as a manager who could keep us in the division. Pearson is so much better and tougher. Milan - I have no opinion about, except to say he bought the club. Fairy nuff. It's a big investment.

So have I stopped agreeing with you? YOU decide.

:)

Wouldn't you have hoped that MPs could find something better to do with their time though?

Definately, but seeing as MPs time at the moment is seemingly spent berating TV presentors, TV judges and complaining about people being kicked off XFactor this seems slightly more useful.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you have hoped that MPs could find something better to do with their time though?

No - MP's are almost entirely just lobby fodder made devoid of power by the managers of government business, the guillotine applied to potentially meaningful debates etc etc so anything that they can do to highlight issues that seem to be getting thwarted for lack of a due process, I regard as a rare piece of usefulness in the sense of their 'customer service' role to their's or others constituents.

The Hume case is a serious injustice. Here we have an individual committing what could be construed as an alleged GBH - and getting away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669