Hume - fractured skull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you two do the funnies/ironies (which are really funny/ironic, I have to say) in a back room while the rest of us debate the issue?

Elbow in head, so severe that it led to skull fracture, and still no word from the FA?

We really have to wonder what the FA really does, and if its acronym says what we think it says - not a lot.

This is an important issue.

Why don't you two do the funnies/ironies (which are really funny/ironic, I have to say) in a back room while the rest of us debate the issue?

:question:

Elbow in head, so severe that it led to skull fracture, and still no word from the FA?

Yes. The word is "we're bottling it".

We really have to wonder what the FA really does, and if its acronym says what we think it says - not a lot.

It does important things like deciding how much to overpay the England manager by, fining club managers for telling it how it is and appointing referees who can't see their own hands in front of their faces.

This is an important issue.

Assault on a football pitch in full view of thousands of spectators and several television cameras? I'd have to agree.

Or maybe they didn't think it was that serious.Bert Troutman played a whole match with a broken neck I believe

I don't understand why modern players get so many injuries. Old fashioned centreforwards went for the ball and didn't care who was in the way. Old fashioned defenders committed grievous bodily harm. Goalkeepers were seen as fair game. Anyone who saw players like Nat Lofthouse knows he would be redcarded every match in the modern game.
Every match Stanley Matthews played he was subject to sheer thuggery as the only way to stop him; yet I remember him playing season after season even playing in the 2nd division (Championship) at fifty.
Leaving aside Hume as a special case why is it that modern players get injured so easily.

I don't understand why modern players get so many injuries. Old fashioned centreforwards went for the ball and didn't care who was in the way. Old fashioned defenders committed grievous bodily harm. Goalkeepers were seen as fair game. Anyone who saw players like Nat Lofthouse knows he would be redcarded every match in the modern game.
Every match Stanley Matthews played he was subject to sheer thuggery as the only way to stop him; yet I remember him playing season after season even playing in the 2nd division (Championship) at fifty.
Leaving aside Hume as a special case why is it that modern players get injured so easily.

Players are more cynical now than they used to be.
True there were plenty of dirty players, but in general the intent was mainly to win the ball.

TH0_2611200815Hume_Photograph.jpg

Always said there was a question mark hanging over him. :icon_wink

Lots of overprotection has allowed the less physical players (aka better footballers) to become more common in the game. These players always existed, it's just that nowadays they can do much better than they did simply because such thuggery is no longer tolerated in the modern game. A tackle designed to break someone's leg with no intention of gaining possession is now a red card offence, whereas previously it was commonplace. That considered, then, could it be because the game has softened up that more players get seriously injured? When these types of 'footballers' (Morgan, Wise, Jones etc) make challenges designed to injure other players, they're usually doing it to someone who is there because they're a good footballer rather that because they can beat up goalies or hack down oncoming opponents. Am I being old-fashioned in thinking that a 'real' footballer is likely to be more fragile and therefore susceptible to injury in this type of challenge?

Another thought for you: To use the players I mentioned above, where would Morgan, Wise and Jones have fit into the 50s game? Would they have been kicked off the pitch? Would they indeed have made it as professionals?

Last edited:
the FA wont do anything about it because itd undermine the officials, even though it could now set a precedent where if a player gets sent off for a similar foul he could appeal and use the morgan incident to get his red card recinded, i guess it doesnt matter as long as us fans respect the officials.....:)

the FA wont do anything about it because itd undermine the officials, even though it could now set a precedent where if a player gets sent off for a similar foul he could appeal and use the morgan incident to get his red card recinded, i guess it doesnt matter as long as us fans respect the officials.....:)

Quite right. It doesn't matter how many players get seriously injured in pursuit of their careers, as long as the referees don't get their feelings hurt by managers saying, quite rightly, that they're shit.

Players have always got seriously injured through violence by the opposition.

I think there are two different features in the modern game: first, the pace of the game means that it's less possible for players carrying injuries to still be picked. People with long memories will recall that City teams of long ago seemed to be more or less the same from week to week. Second, players to-day recover more quickly because of improved medical teachniques e.g. years ago a knee cartilage injury could be career threatening; these days they are back within a few weeks.

They'll have difficulty getting compensation because Utd will argue that he could have had is leg broken in the next game. I just think he should speak to the police about ABH or GBH or whatever its and see if he can get Morgan locked up.

They'll have difficulty getting compensation because Utd will argue that he could have had is leg broken in the next game. I just think he should speak to the police about ABH or GBH or whatever its and see if he can get Morgan locked up.

The police didn't show any signs of interest at the time ,did they?

Hume should press charges if the FA won't take it any further.

My guess (and I am not a lawyer) is that criminal action against Chris Morgan would be unlikely to succeed but that civil action might. With criminal action the key would be intent not consequence. It would have to be proved that Chris Morgan intended to injure Hume and the actual extent of the injury would be unimportant. In a civil action the extent of the injury and its effect on Hume's career would be the key factor. Chris Morgan might deny intention but he can hardly deny having been negligent. Legally there would be no case against Sheffield United unless they had reason to believe in advance that Morgan would injure Hume (e.g. a threat to do so in the dressing room) which is most unlikely.
I do hope that Hume takes action as even in the unlikely event of him playing again I doubt if he would be the same player.

Only because of your infatuation with Iain Hume, I suspect any other player and you really wouldn't give a shit.

Totally untrue. I am not, and never have been, 'infatuated' with Iain Hume, I just thought he got a lot of undeserved stick on here, just as Matty Fryatt sometimes does. I'd only use the 'infatuated' word, and that only very sparingly, and in a footballing context, about Izett and Lennon.

And as for 'any other player' I'd feel exactly the same even if it was that wassock DJ, or even if it were a player from F*****. It's the principle, although I wouldn't be as incandescent with rage if it was a broken leg. It's that it's a skull fracture, and that can have lifelong repercussions which go far beyond playing football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669