Hume

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I assume that Howard is going to be first choice up front and that we continue to play 4-4-2, then it is now up to Hume and Fryatt to fight for the other place. A bit of genuine competition might just improve the pair of them!
I too could see Hume playing just behind a front 2 but I doubt that Ollie will change the shape of the team to accomodate Hume so it's down to him to work out how best to play with Howard.

whilst i don't see anyone else in our squad who has scored more than a goal every three games this season, Or who has 5 of those in the last 7 or 8 games. I would gladly see Hume transferred if it meant we brought in any of Norris, Martin or Commons.
The problem with Hume is that in theory he is a little jack in the box who links midfield with attack. In reality he is a bit of a headless chicken who detracts from the shape of the side, plays neither upfront or in midfield, can't pick a pass, isn't that quick, and doesn't get into the box enough. He is an enigma - in truth. Neither fish nor fowl.
He can go for a decent offer, as could Fryatt if it enabled us to have players to add to the TEAM.
If we keep either then they should both sit on the bench for a while and watch Howard and Hayles play TOGETHER and give a focal point for the team to play around. Fryatt and Hume are just as much to blame for our bad footy as the midfielders. If the midfielders new the ball was going to stick to our front men, then they would take more chances in getting forward to support them. Simple.
Iwan Roberts did two things. Laid the ball off and got to the far or near post for a cross. And he was good enough at it to make it look quite easy to get 15-20 goals in a season. Howard is the same. Hoepfully we can use him effectively.

Howard up front with Fryatt, DJ and Hume all battling out the place beside him I would think.

whilst i don't see anyone else in our squad who has scored more than a goal every three games this season, Or who has 5 of those in the last 7 or 8 games. I would gladly see Hume transferred if it meant we brought in any of Norris, Martin or Commons.
The problem with Hume is that in theory he is a little jack in the box who links midfield with attack. In reality he is a bit of a headless chicken who detracts from the shape of the side, plays neither upfront or in midfield, can't pick a pass, isn't that quick, and doesn't get into the box enough. He is an enigma - in truth. Neither fish nor fowl.
He can go for a decent offer, as could Fryatt if it enabled us to have players to add to the TEAM.

Difficult to argue against any of that. :icon_bigg :icon_wink :023:

If we keep either then they should both sit on the bench for a while and watch Howard and Hayles play TOGETHER and give a focal point for the team to play around. Fryatt and Hume are just as much to blame for our bad footy as the midfielders. If the midfielders new the ball was going to stick to our front men, then they would take more chances in getting forward to support them. Simple.
Iwan Roberts did two things. Laid the ball off and got to the far or near post for a cross. And he was good enough at it to make it look quite easy to get 15-20 goals in a season. Howard is the same. Hoepfully we can use him effectively.

Nice post Sparky, i'd agree with most of that. Regarding Hume Its probaly what Melton has been saying for a long time, but with not quite the same eloquence and beauty:icon_razz

Right. So let's get rid of our only proven goalscorer, because this forum thinks he's wildly overrated, and is full of miserable old guys who play their game on their computer.

Yeah, that makes sense. NOT.

Yesterday, I had a discussion about him with Melts, who agreed that 30 goals from 97/98 was a goodish ratio, but said he'd missed many and it should have been 50/55. Good point?

I thought about it and actually it's a crap point. With 50/55 goals from 97, he wouldn't be playing in the Championship, would he? Or for Leicester. He's about as good as it gets in our makeshift and cobbled-together team. And he appears to want to play for us, amazingly.

So tell you what - let's dump him! YEAH! That'll teach him!

It's called Tall Poppy Syndrome. Or in this case, very-short-for-a- striker-but-pretending-to-be-Tall Poppy Syndrome.

And as I said yesterday I am not a member of the Hume is a God club.

Oh, and as a postscript, the blessed and brilliant Iwan Roberts - 15/20 goals a season??? Who said that?? So did he score 45/60 goals for us in his time here? Really??

Truth - 41 goals from 100 appearances, 13 Div 1 /9 Premiership/ 19 Div 1.

And he was a tall guy, typical striker, not a little useless hopeless first touch player like Hume

In an ideal world a player who is scoring a few goals (7 in 20 odd games) would be undroppable. However, we can all see that the shape of the side is not good.
Hume contributes to this lack of shape by dropping too deep and too wide leaving Fryatt isolated too often. You can blame this on the lack of service, but we have all seen that when Hume does get 'striker' style service he is not a natural penalty box finisher.
If he had Rooney like 'link man' ability, as has been pointed out, he would be at a higher level...but unfortunately he doesn't
At present we need an aerial threat up front (Howard or Hayles) and a strong penalty box finisher (Fryatt, Hayles, A N OTHER).
This, coupled with a box to box player with a bit of quality and some wide men, we might actually be able to look at having some shape to the side.
In this shape players like Clemence, Weso, Hayes, Mattock, Kissa and MCauley can hopefully flourish.
The competition will certainly help.

Hume might have a place in this shape, but if he's going to be our 'striker' off Howard in 442 then he's going to have to improve his finishing an penalty box play.

Hume might have a place in this shape, but if he's going to be our 'striker' off Howard in 442 then he's going to have to improve his finishing an penalty box play.

Agree with what you say, I would think that Hume will be a winger under IH and forward should DJ, Fryatt and Hayles all be unfit/out of form.

And I might be wrong but I thought that 41 goals in 100 games is pretty damn good especially when one of those seasons was in a really struggling team? Or was that the point?

In an ideal world a player who is scoring a few goals (7 in 20 odd games) would be undroppable. However, we can all see that the shape of the side is not good.
Hume contributes to this lack of shape by dropping too deep and too wide leaving Fryatt isolated too often. You can blame this on the lack of service, but we have all seen that when Hume does get 'striker' style service he is not a natural penalty box finisher.
If he had Rooney like 'link man' ability, as has been pointed out, he would be at a higher level...but unfortunately he doesn't
At present we need an aerial threat up front (Howard or Hayles) and a strong penalty box finisher (Fryatt, Hayles, A N OTHER).
This, coupled with a box to box player with a bit of quality and some wide men, we might actually be able to look at having some shape to the side.
In this shape players like Clemence, Weso, Hayes, Mattock, Kissa and MCauley can hopefully flourish.
The competition will certainly help.

Anybody who disagrees with this post is a loony. Spot on sparky.

I think we would be mad to sell him still, the only one who seems to be scoring on a fairly regular basis and he's not even meant to be an out-and-out striker. Keep him, he is a good player, but play him behind the front two in his proper f**king position please.

Agree with what you say, I would think that Hume will be a winger under IH and forward should DJ, Fryatt and Hayles all be unfit/out of form.

And I might be wrong but I thought that 41 goals in 100 games is pretty damn good especially when one of those seasons was in a really struggling team? Or was that the point?

It was the point that Hume has scored 30, playing much of that time out of position. Melts said he could have scored 50/55 which would have been outstanding in this division.

And 'especially when one of those seasons was in a really struggling team' - well what are we now??? What have we been for 3 years?

The fear I have of putting Howard up front is that we'll start playing hoof ball again. Having said that, he looks a good buy. But I wouldn't want to sacrifice Hume, or Fryett. DJ don't impress me much. He's got little positional skill and his reflexes are too slow despite his reputation for pace

I think we would be mad to sell him still, the only one who seems to be scoring on a fairly regular basis and he's not even meant to be an out-and-out striker. Keep him, he is a good player, but play him behind the front two in his proper f**king position please.

I agree. And he's developing some very good dead ball skills. That's useful. Behind the front two is a good position for him. He's NOT a natural wide player.

I agree. And he's developing some very good dead ball skills. That's useful. Behind the front two is a good position for him. He's NOT a natural wide player.

I think the biggest problem with Hume is that he isn't a natural striker and neither is he a conventional midfielder or winger and it would seem to get the very best out of him we would need to change our whole system and formation, which I don't believe Ollie will do and neither do I believe Hume's abilities justify this either.

It would seem Ollie will use 4-4-2 and IMO I don't see Hume fitting into that system without it affecting his natural game or our shape and pattern.

The best formations for Hume would be as the attacking midfielder / free role behind the front two. 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2

Last edited:
I do not know how much 'silly' money would make me want to sell Hume, but he is certainly showing he is a capable attacking midfielder, particularly as he has also discovered, or been allowed, to take a couple of great scoring free kicks.

Everton's interest in Hume may become more serious if MacFadden goes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00