Ian Hollowpants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regard Ian Holloway as the most talented manager we appointed between Martin O'Neill and Nigel Pearson. The failures of the relegation season were, I believe, largely down to the abysmal choice of Martin Allen as manager and the behaviour of Gary Megson.

Ian Holloway took over a club in crisis as the 4th manager of the season, with a squad that was huge but short of talent and totally unbalanced (right back united). He had no choice but to desperately try and bring in new players over the transfer window.
Of his four permanent signings two were excellent. Howard would become player of the season last year and Oakley would become team captain. Hayles was a sensible buy for backup. Harry Worley was a mistake. The bringing in of the two Hungarian wingers was an act of desperation that might have worked but did not.

Having read Holloway's book I was looking forward to seeing what he would do with a pre-season and was disappointed when he left as I expected his replacement would not be as able. Obviously with hindsight we know that his replacement has been very impressive. I have also come to realise that Milan was right, if Holloway had stayed a section of the fans would have blamed him for the relegation and we needed a new manager for a fresh start.

For me as a proud Leicester supporter the unsavoury and churlish chants at Holloway when Blackpool came here were disappointing. This was no Mark McGhee or Dennis Wise who had behaved badly but a good man who had tried to save a club in trauma and failed.

One can never prove a what-if but I believe that it Ian Holloway or Nigel Pearson had been appointed instead of Martin Allen with his pre-season and his money to spend that relegation season would have been very different.

I regard Ian Holloway as the most talented manager we appointed between Martin O'Neill and Nigel Pearson. The failures of the relegation season were, I believe, largely down to the abysmal choice of Martin Allen as manager and the behaviour of Gary Megson.

Ian Holloway took over a club in crisis as the 4th manager of the season, with a squad that was huge but short of talent and totally unbalanced (right back united). He had no choice but to desperately try and bring in new players over the transfer window.
Of his four permanent signings two were excellent. Howard would become player of the season last year and Oakley would become team captain. Hayles was a sensible buy for backup. Harry Worley was a mistake. The bringing in of the two Hungarian wingers was an act of desperation that might have worked but did not.

Having read Holloway's book I was looking forward to seeing what he would do with a pre-season and was disappointed when he left as I expected his replacement would not be as able. Obviously with hindsight we know that his replacement has been very impressive. I have also come to realise that Milan was right, if Holloway had stayed a section of the fans would have blamed him for the relegation and we needed a new manager for a fresh start.

For me as a proud Leicester supporter the unsavoury and churlish chants at Holloway when Blackpool came here were disappointing. This was no Mark McGhee or Dennis w*s* who had behaved badly but a good man who had tried to save a club in trauma and failed.

One can never prove a what-if but I believe that it Ian Holloway or Nigel Pearson had been appointed instead of Martin Allen with his pre-season and his money to spend that relegation season would have been very different.

This is a top post. :038:

Immediately after I hated him but in retrospective, he was honest and absolutely gutted by our relegation. Possibly even hurt by it. The slump started before him I think...a long time ago.

I disagree probaly the worst tactical manager we have ever had.

Even in the last game against Stoke we sat back,knowing we had to win in the final 20 mins.

I disagree probaly the worst tactical manager we have ever had.

Even in the last game against Stoke we sat back,knowing we had to win in the final 20 mins.

Totally agree. I'll never understand this "we were a sinkign ship" opinion, we didn't really look in trouble when he came in.

Some of his decisions were abysmal, we used to joke that we half expected him to bring on Conrad and play him on the wing.

Allen and Megson were part of it no doubt, but the majority of the blame for our relegation still lies at his shoes imo.

None of that matters now though does it?

I hope he continues to do well at Blackpool.

None of that matters now though does it?

I hope he continues to do well at Blackpool.

I hope he fails miserably.

He's a media whoring clown who thinks he's some amazing comedian by makign playground jokes about his misses. Hate the Twat.

I remember spending the previous two seasons shitting myself during March and April.

What does that have to do with us being in trouble when he came in in November? :102:

Last edited:
I have no ill feeling towards Holloway. Rot had set in long before he came, he must have been putting out so many fires after Allen and Megson had been here that he didn't know where to turn half the time!

Had he been in from day 1 things would have been very different.

Great win today, Brown was excellent and Weale MON!

Blue army!

Had he been in from day 1 things would have been very different.

It would have been interesting to see him given a fresh start, but i get the feeling he doesn't handle pressure too well which I think will mean he will always be a bridesmaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holloway is good at motivating underdogs, but fell way short at a bigger club when he didn't have that advantage. I don't hate him, but he failed miserably at Leicester and I doubt he'll ever do well at a "big" club.

I regard Ian Holloway as the most talented manager we appointed between Martin O'Neill and Nigel Pearson.

I rate him amongst the worst two Leicester City managers since the end of the Second World War.

He took over the management when we were heading towards another disappointing and mediocre season but with no real prospect of getting relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time in our history. Somehow, he managed to get us relegated. He was an appalling football manager and made things worse with his desperate efforts to gain popularity with the idiots and his puerile media features.

That said, nothing can justify the personal abuse directed by other idiots towards him and his family.

It's quite possible that his management style chimes with the set-ups at smaller clubs than Leicester and where he can cope better without the sort of expectations that are rightly or wrongly laid on a Leicester manager.

Agreed.

Yes we might well have gone down anyhoo, or even the following season, but from the start of his tenure in charge I saw nowt to get rid of my fears we would go down. In fact they grew the more I saw of his team selections and tactics.

I hate him, but in the way that I hold him ultimately responsible for the relegation(however much blame must be given to others, he was the one who wasn't up to the job in the end, and going in to the last two games WE were in the driving seat- and he failed, miserably) Thankfully that episode can be consigned to the history books and we don't have to think about it too much.

I also think IF he had anything about him he would've held his hands up, admitted he wasn't up to the job he was given, and resigned.

I certainly don't think we wold've come straight back up with him in charge, the mentality around the club would've been the same, and that was what needed a drastic overhaul more than anything.

It took MM long enough, but he did do the right thing in the end by getting rid of the twat.

I'm assuming the other manager you're referring to Redditch is Peter Twatlor?

Think we're all forgetting that dinosaur Harry Basset, who should not have been allowed anywhere near the team!

I rate him amongst the worst two Leicester City managers since the end of the Second World War.

It is remarkable how Holloway divides opinion.

Normally everyone agrees on managers. Everyone accepts that Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill were superb.

There has been mention of Mickey Adams. In his first season he did superbly in very difficult circumstances. The difficulties in the Premiership and then the La Manga crisis seemed to hit him hard.

I would expect that everyone accepts that in different ways Frank McClintock, Peter Taylor, Martin Allen and Gary Megson were appalling.

The strangest case was Peter Taylor. Every football fan I spoke to was sure Leicester had made a brilliant appointment. He was seen as "the next England manager but one". He did in fact manage the England team for one game as caretaker. Even in the season we got relegated I was complaining to some West ham fans that Leicester were too slow in sacking him and they all thought sacking him would be a mistake.

Gary Megson is a different case. I left for a trip to Spain with him firmly in charge; went onto the internet in a Spanish hotel to find he had up and left. That was the moment I felt the club was falling apart. Megson has not been given enough blame for the relegation season.

Redditch does not say who the other "worst manager" is. My two worst would be Peter Taylor and Martin Allen who both started off with close seasons and money to spend.

It is remarkable how Holloway divides opinion.

Normally everyone agrees on managers. Everyone accepts that Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill were superb.

There has been mention of Mickey Adams. In his first season he did superbly in very difficult circumstances. The difficulties in the Premiership and then the La Manga crisis seemed to hit him hard.

I would expect that everyone accepts that in different ways Frank McClintock, Peter Taylor, Martin Allen and Gary Megson were appalling.

The strangest case was Peter Taylor. Every football fan I spoke to was sure Leicester had made a brilliant appointment. He was seen as "the next England manager but one". He did in fact manage the England team for one game as caretaker. Even in the season we got relegated I was complaining to some West ham fans that Leicester were too slow in sacking him and they all thought sacking him would be a mistake.

Gary Megson is a different case. I left for a trip to Spain with him firmly in charge; went onto the internet in a Spanish hotel to find he had up and left. That was the moment I felt the club was falling apart. Megson has not been given enough blame for the relegation season.

Redditch does not say who the other "worst manager" is. My two worst would be Peter Taylor and Martin Allen who both started off with close seasons and money to spend.

Excellent post, some good points there, but I have to point this out, even though it will lead to the usual accusations of unnecessary pedantry. Adams has never spelled his first name with an 'e'. I've told you this before. Just... stop it.

:icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670