If I woke up tomorrow as a Coventry fan I'd... BLANK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be bored out of my brains of watching my team sit pointlessly in lower-mid-table season after season after season having absolutely no excitement and absolutely nothing in the future which looks like I could get even remotely excited about. Hell, even a proper relegation battle would be more exciting than that!

Must be the most boring football club in the country to support.

Last edited:
Be too worried about what to buy my grandma for her 30th birthday to get upset about football.

Be bored out of my brains of watching my team sit pointlessly in lower-mid-table season after season after season having absolutely no excitement and absolutely nothing in the future which looks like I could get even remotely excited about. Hell, even a proper relegation battle would be more exciting than that!

Must be the most boring football club in the country to support.
A bit like supporting Leicester about five years ago. Never forget the names of Jason Jarrett, Rab Douglas or Iain Hume.

A bit like supporting Leicester about five years ago. Never forget the names of Jason Jarrett, Rab Douglas or Iain Hume.

Haha, I was actually going to mention similar to us in the Levein days. Their spell has gone on a lot, lot longer though. Decades really when you consider they were doing the same thing in the Prem for years.

Haha, I was actually going to mention similar to us in the Levein days. Their spell has gone on a lot, lot longer though. Decades really when you consider they were doing the same thing in the Prem for years.
It's not been great for them since they came down has it? Still, for a club that size working on a tiny budget year in year out to continually survive in the top flight for as long as they did can't be knocked. They, as all clubs do, are going through something of a dull patch. They may just tread water and achieve nothing for another few years (see Sheffield United 1994-2005) but eventually an unexpected promotion or a relegation or exciting cup run or something will happen to make them interesting again.

I think the best thing that can happen to them from their current situation would be relegation. This would force a wholesale clearout, give them a chance to get a solid, ambitious side together and develop a winning attitude they've not known in years, like we did, like Norwich did and like Southampton appear to have done, and actually put them in a good position to challenge the big boys to get back where I'm sure their fans feel they should be.

It's not been great for them since they came down has it? Still, for a club that size working on a tiny budget year in year out to continually survive in the top flight for as long as they did can't be knocked. They, as all clubs do, are going through something of a dull patch. They may just tread water and achieve nothing for another few years (see Sheffield United 1994-2005) but eventually an unexpected promotion or a relegation or exciting cup run or something will happen to make them interesting again.

I think the best thing that can happen to them from their current situation would be relegation. This would force a wholesale clearout, give them a chance to get a solid, ambitious side together and develop a winning attitude they've not known in years, like we did, like Norwich did and like Southampton appear to have done, and actually put them in a good position to challenge the big boys to get back where I'm sure their fans feel they should be.

Fair assessment, BM, fair assessment.

Re: If I woke up tomorrow as a Coventry fan I'd... BLANK

I'm not entering this unless there's a "If I woke up tomorrow as a Coventry fan I'd... BLANK" cheque book and pen up for grabs.

I maybe the only fan on this forum who has actually ever had a Coventry City season ticket, I started supporting Newport County in the 70's and moved on to CCFC when my family moved back from Wales to Coventry (actually Bedworth) in the 80's, I had a season ticket at Highfield Road in the '87 season (yes the only season Coventry actually won anything) I was 16 at the time and going down the footy with my mates was part of my weekend. I can say that most of the guys I knew then had pretty low expectation for the team and mid table was seen as almost unattainable, they'd had almost 30 years of scrapping around the bottom of the top division. After the '87 cup win there was a bounce in the support but Sutton United brought the fans back to reality.

If I woke up tomorrow to find that 15+ years of having an LCFC season ticket was coming to an end I'd probably head for the pub.

Last edited:
I maybe the only fan on this forum who has actually ever had a Coventry City season ticket, I started supporting Newport County in the 70's and moved on to CCFC when my family moved back from Wales to Coventry (actually Bedworth) in the 80's, I had a season ticket at Highfield Road in the '87 season (yes the only season Coventry actually won anything) I was 16 at the time and going down the footy with my mates was part of my weekend. I can say that most of the guys I knew then had pretty low expectation for the team and mid table was seen as almost unattainable, they'd had almost 30 years of scrapping around the bottom of the top division. After the '87 cup win there was a bounce in the support but Sutton United brought the fans back to reality.

If I woke up tomorrow to find that 15+ years of having an LCFC season ticket was coming to an end I'd probably head for the pub.

By the way what lead you away from the dark side and when?

This puzzles me. How is it possible to change what team to follow? You can change girlfriend, no problem. When she dumps you, which a football team is not very likely to do, you start looking for another eventually.

But to wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll swap Leicester for Exeter, or maybe Arsenal, who shall I pick?", how is that possible?

By the way, where has Newts gone?

I'd do a Winehouse

This puzzles me. How is it possible to change what team to follow? You can change girlfriend, no problem. When she dumps you, which a football team is not very likely to do, you start looking for another eventually.

But to wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll swap Leicester for Exeter, or maybe Arsenal, who shall I pick?", how is that possible?

By the way, where has Newts gone?

I didn't suddenly wake up and change my mind I hardly went to any football for 4-5 years and sort of lost interest in supporting any specific team (I'm not the tribe joining type tbh) when I went to University and only went to football matches as a neutral fan (mainly at the City Ground and Meadow Lane as I was living in Nottingham). The first city game I went to with my then girlfriend (now wife of 14 years) was a winning play off final and I was hooked again (even got to shake Claridges hand when he ran behind the goal to celebrate, Lee hates me for that!).

Funny thing is I am in Japan at the moment an one of our Japanese engineers was telling me he used to support Spurs but now he supports Arsenal, that is wierd!

"You can change your wife(partner), you can change your car, but you can't change your football team!"

A few years ago when City were in big financial trouble, I was asked who would I support if Leicester went under.
I replied I couldn't follow any other professional team with the same passion, feeling & emotion as I do for City.

"You can change your wife(partner), you can change your car, but you can't change your football team!"

A few years ago when City were in big financial trouble, I was asked who would I support if Leicester went under.
I replied I couldn't follow any other professional team with the same passion, feeling & emotion as I do for City.

I find it sad that someone could be so blinkered to any sports team to be honest.

You have to be able to walk away from anything if it's no longer making you happy, football fans that blindly follow a team without question actually make me angry because they don't put pressure on the club and accept any old shit in the main.

Last edited:
You have to be able to walk away from anything if it's no longer making you happy, football fans that blindly follow a team without question actually make me angry because they don't put pressure on the club and accept any old shit in the main.
I could no more change my football allegiance than I could the colour of my skin.

I could no more change my football allegiance than I could the colour of my skin.

Go out in the sun, spend time on a sunbed or lock yourself in a dark room and your skin will change colour :icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669