If I woke up tomorrow as a Coventry fan I'd... BLANK

Status
Not open for further replies.

H T B

I find it sad that someone could be so blinkered to any sports team to be honest.

You have to be able to walk away from anything if it's no longer making you happy, football fans that blindly follow a team without question actually make me angry because they don't put pressure on the club and accept any old shit in the main.

Who's the one with the problem?

Billyjof

Could never change my team. I worked at Elland Road for 2 years and never supported Dirty. Got caught up in the emotion of them scoring on a few occasions such as against Man U just because I hate Man U. When Leicester came I let everyone know who I was supporting which resulted in my taking a whack. I was young and daft, I'd just silently go about my business now.

David Gwilliam

This puzzles me. How is it possible to change what team to follow? You can change girlfriend, no problem. When she dumps you, which a football team is not very likely to do, you start looking for another eventually.

But to wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll swap Leicester for Exeter, or maybe Arsenal, who shall I pick?", how is that possible?

"You can change your wife(partner), you can change your car, but you can't change your football team!"

A few years ago when City were in big financial trouble, I was asked who would I support if Leicester went under.
I replied I couldn't follow any other professional team with the same passion, feeling & emotion as I do for City.

I could no more change my football allegiance than I could the colour of my skin.

I do find these comments interesting. None of them have said whether they grew up in a Leicester supporting family or even whether the posters were Leicester born and bred. I imagine this makes a difference.

Blaarev mentions Arsenal and Exeter supporters as though they would have the same problem. As someone who switched from Worcester City to Leicester City I am sure that it would be easier to switch from Exeter than from Arsenal. If you are an Arsenal supporter your team is constantly on TV and in the news/papers; Exeter supporters have no such reinforcement. It is possible to support more than one team if you support a small one. I was a loyal Worcester supporter and attended their matches but my glory teams were Man U and Bolton who I only saw two or three times a season..

For me supporting a team means seeing them live - other people are able to support a team by remote control and that is fine for them but not for me. . If you move to a city that will usually limit you to one club. If you arrive in a city as a young man, knowing nobody, work colleagues are important and I found there was a group that went to Leicester matches. Then there was Leicester on TV for the 1969 cup final - obviously I supported them for that. For a year I cared about Worcester as well and even forty years later have an affection foe them.
By the 1970-71 season I realised that not only was I not going to get to Worcester matches but there were Worcester players who were just names to me. On the other hand I was watching the Frank O'Farrell team that was battling for and gained promotion. I then became a Leicester fan. I do not remember it being a matter of soulsearching and it never occurred to me to live in Leicester and support another big team.

It would be interesting to take cities with more than one club and find out about people choosing and changing clubs. If someone goes to a job in Liverpool do they support Liverpool or Everton, in Bristol do you go for Rovers or City. Because cameraderie has always been important to me my guess is that I would go for the team my workmates went to see.

Biffa Bacon

Who's the one with the problem?

Yeah, I've got a massive problem because it annoys me that people show blind faith in things that can be changed to their detriment without them having any control, just something I'll have to live with

Blaarev

Yeah, I've got a massive problem because it annoys me that people show blind faith in things that can be changed to their detriment without them having any control, just something I'll have to live with

You have a problem because you can't change and have no control over the fact that people show blind faith in things that can be changed to their detriment without them having any control. So there! Now live with it :icon_wink

Profondo Rosso

I totally understand where Biffa is coming from. There are much more important things than following a football team and if you're not enjoying it, as with anything in life, then there's no shame in walking away.

Also, I think if I moved to another city and could get to their team's games I'd start supporting them as well and over a number of years I would probably end up rooting for them more than Leicester.

Motown Fox

I lived in Worthing for 7 years and ended up going to home games first and eventually away games as well, but I never stopped following City. It started as there was no City match to listen to on a Saturday afternoon and not wanting to always go shopping I started going down to Worthing games unless I was coming up to Leicester for a weekend or to a game in a day via London with the Supporters (London branch).

I still follow Worthing's results although the last time I saw them play was in 1999 when they played away at Rotherham in the F A Cup. Brighton were the nearest main club and a few I worked with supported them but I could not in all honesty ever have gone to watch them play anyone else other than City. Although I did watch them (well their reserves) play Worthing but of course I was cheering Worthing on, much to the annoyance of a Brighton season ticket holder sat behind me in the old main stand at the Goldstone ground.

Last edited:

homer

To change allegiance from one team to the next is something I will never, ever understand.

Sure, if you're stuck in another part of the country and can't afford to make it back, then it's quite reasonable to go along and watch another side - I've done it myself. But I never lost sight of the fact that I was a City fan. Never entered my head

And just because you are wedded to one team for life, doesn't mean that you follow them 'blindly' without questioning anything that happens there. It's my club, so I have every right to question the actions of those who (temporarily) are employed there. Being angry/upset/annoyed/disappointed with what happens at your club is just part and parcel of being a football fan, and you should stand up and demand better if there is a need to do so. I will always do it, and most City fans I know do likewise (apart from the Blue Mongies, obviously)

Despite what goes on (good, bad or indifferent) at your club, you can never take away the support/love/obssession/devotion/OCD and general mentalness that goes with the territory of being a football fan. Those who misunderstand that, have missed the essence of being a fan(atic).

I pity them, for they do not have what I have

Sometimes, however, I envy them completely

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
To change allegiance from one team to the next is something I will never, ever understand.

Sure, if you're stuck in another part of the country and can't afford to make it back, then it's quite reasonable to go along and watch another side - I've done it myself. But I never lost sight of the fact that I was a City fan. Never entered my head

And just because you are wedded to one team for life, doesn't mean that you follow them 'blindly' without questioning anything that happens there. It's my club, so I have every right to question the actions of those who (temporarily) are employed there. Being angry/upset/annoyed/disappointed with what happens at your club is just part and parcel of being a football fan, and you should stand up and demand better if there is a need to do so. I will always do it, and most City fans I know do likewise (apart from the Blue Mongies, obviously)

Despite what goes on (good, bad or indifferent) at your club, you can never take away the support/love/obssession/devotion/OCD and general mentalness that goes with the territory of being a football fan. Those who misunderstand that, have missed the essence of being a fan(atic).

:038: Lovely post.

Biffa Bacon

I don't know how you judge another fans (or maybe supporter in my case :icon_roll ) experience, I see plenty of 'lifelong' City fans at games who seem to be having a worse time than me, moaning and groaning rather than enjoying the game for what it is,unable to appreciate the value of the opposition because they ain't lesta. I have followed city in good and bad times and maintained my support through relegation unlike a lot of the supposed lifers.

The attitude of the 'one team for life come what may fan' still seems odd, the example of Wimbledon fans who formed a new team rather than following the team they had taken from them can only be applauded in my opinion. If similar event happened at City I know I'd not be renewing my season ticket but I've already proven I'm a disloyal fan by defecting before.

David Gwilliam

This is a very interesting post. However, you do not say why you support Leicester.

Is it because as a boy you went to Leicester with your dad? There are people who can say that their dad and their grandad supported Leicester. That has to be a powerful tie and changing to support another club might seem to be letting down the family.
My guess is that for most people it is that they grew up in Leicester and in many cases still live around Leicester in which case their support has never been challenged.
According to your theory I should have stayed loyal to my boyhood team of Worcester City. What would staying loyal have meant - looking in the Sunday newspapers for a one line match result - no mention even of who scored, no knowledge of what players the team had. Part of coming to live in Leicester was a commitment to the city - this involved looking at its architecture, politics and history. That was fundamental to living in the new city should I have made an exception for its football.

The point about blind loyalty is interesting although perhaps you should also condemn blind disloyalty. There are football "supporters" who look for reasons not to support their team. For people to complain about Ricardo's goalkeeping is fine - and I was one who did that - but to chant the name of Weale was not "supporting". In what way is booing a Leicetser team at halftime supporting them.

There was a point when I thought the idea of blind support was a myth. The Coventry game disabused me. There were Coventry fans who were willing to chant their support of Marlon King's crime. If Coventry fans why not Leicester fans. The fact that there were Leicester fans on this forum who seriously wanted us to sign Marlon King showed that there was no level to which Leicester could sink and there would still be people uncritical of them.

Mawsley

Marlon King? Now there's a name.

I believe he might be dreadfully free to sign for other sides as of 9am....

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
There were Coventry fans who were willing to chant their support of Marlon King's crime. If Coventry fans why not Leicester fans. The fact that there were Leicester fans on this forum who seriously wanted us to sign Marlon King showed that there was no level to which Leicester could sink and there would still be people uncritical of them.
Really? Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I don't recall that. Who said they wanted Marlon King at Leicester?

Cate Fox

I'm not going to look - it was Harbs and Kanefire, innit? Or perhaps jas123.

OK - Who, other than Harbs, Kanefire and jas, said they wanted Marlon King at Leicester?

Bang on with your first two choices there Bob :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670