If I woke up tomorrow as a Coventry fan I'd... BLANK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how you judge another fans (or maybe supporter in my case :icon_roll ) experience, I see plenty of 'lifelong' City fans at games who seem to be having a worse time than me, moaning and groaning rather than enjoying the game for what it is,unable to appreciate the value of the opposition because they ain't lesta. I have followed city in good and bad times and maintained my support through relegation unlike a lot of the supposed lifers.

The attitude of the 'one team for life come what may fan' still seems odd, the example of Wimbledon fans who formed a new team rather than following the team they had taken from them can only be applauded in my opinion. If similar event happened at City I know I'd not be renewing my season ticket but I've already proven I'm a disloyal fan by defecting before.

Although it’s now 50 years since I first called myself a Leicester fan – watching the ’61 Cup Final on telly, I plead guilty on at least three counts of not being loyal.

For a start I came to live in Leicestershire as an 11 year old, and swapped my lifelong love for Chesterfield (near the bottom of the old Div 4) for high-flying City with ne’er a backward glance. Funny how things pan out.

Also I wasn’t one of the diehard 7000 who stuck with LCFC in the late 1980’s. I buggered off mostly because I was sick of being treated like a degenerate untermensch inside and outside Filbo, rather than a protest against the exodus of star names like Gary Lineker, Alan Smith etc. So I spent several happy seasons at Butthole Lane, cheering on Shepshed Charterhouse (crowds about a third the size of City’s can’t remember many coppers there safeguarding the general public) against the likes of Crawley Town – whatever happened to them? Wish I could say it was the attraction of Pleaty’s football revolution that drew me back after a few years, it was actually Gazza’s tears.

Most bizarrely, like many a young Koppite in the late 1960s living in the wilds of the county - away Saturdays we’d be more likely to be singing away in the Trent End than heading off on the Supporter’s Club coach or a Midland Red boneshaker to watch City – too expensive and except for (the many) Cup games – no travelling Blue Army, no buzz. So we tagged along with our Forest supporting mates keeping our City allegiance to ourselves, and they did the same, though I didn’t have the bottle of my mate Kev who always wore his red scarf in the Kop and never a hint of trouble.

This even survived the spectacular Battle of the Kop in May 1968 – I think what eventually killed it was it just got embarrassing when Cloughie and Frank McLintock got us at opposite ends of the table in 77-78. That and the ultraviolence. I'd say Loughborough is a blue town, but during the eighties there was a lot of red around too. I think they came back when B*Little started his wave, so that's alright.

There we are, disloyal as feck, though at least I stayed in Block L more or less on my own season before last when we lost to West Brom – the ex Baby Squad and their wannabes having marched out after an hour when we went 2-0 down – singing “Leicester ‘til I die” without a hint of irony.

... think it was a good idea to come on here after a good spanking and talk bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669