Immigration debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Major

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/18/immigrationpolicy-immigration

The number of migrants coming into the UK must be curbed and subject to strict limitations because of the economic crisis, according to the immigration minister Phil Woolas.

The increasingly tough economic conditions and people losing their jobs made the immigration issue "extremely thorny", he told the Times. The government would not allow the population to expand endlessly, he said.

"It's been too easy to get into this country in the past and it's going to get harder," Woolas said.

So after 11 years of telling us that immigration creates wealth and jobs and calling anybody that questions that a racist, a Labour minister is telling us that immigration should be cut to protect jobs and prosperity.

Strange how being behind in the polls changes politicians minds.

I do agree that they need to make it slightly harder to migrate to the UK. They should have to have a job within 6-8 weeks of migrating and have to take English lessons IMO. That would cut out the immigrants who come here purely to claim benefits and live off our taxes.

This is why I quite like what the Poles do, they seem to come over here purely to work and earn some dosh, and most of them can speak fairly good English. And they work bloody hard too. These are the kind of immigrants who are good for our country.

I do agree that they need to make it slightly harder to migrate to the UK. They should have to have a job within 6-8 weeks of migrating and have to take English lessons IMO. That would cut out the immigrants who come here purely to claim benefits and live off our taxes.

This is why I quite like what the Poles do, they seem to come over here purely to work and earn some dosh, and most of them can speak fairly good English. And they work bloody hard too. These are the kind of immigrants who are good for our country.

So which nationality is it that migrates to the UK purely to claim benefits?
Or is this just something you've heard anecdotally from some misinformed person that reads the Daily Mail perhaps?

I wouldn't say there was a particular one.

I wouldn't say there was a particular one.

But you can stereotype the entire Polish nation?

I don't believe there is anybody that migrates to the UK to exist on benefits

But you can stereotype the entire Polish nation?

There isn't. In my job I help a lot of people who are immigrants.

I meet immigrants who have status and work every hour that comes thier way. Some asylum seekers who don't have any status, and have outstanding cases with the Home Office, are desperate to get into work. They get some support, but it's paltry to say the least; living in squalid conditions.

I think most people, from whichever walk of life, want to put in a hard days graft to earn their pay and contribute to the system.

There isn't. In my job I help a lot of people who are immigrants.

I meet immigrants who have status and work every hour that comes thier way. Some asylum seekers who don't have any status, and have outstanding cases with the Home Office, are desperate to get into work. They get some support, but it's paltry to say the least; living in squalid conditions.

I think most people, from whichever walk of life, want to put in a hard days graft to earn their pay and contribute to the system

Thats what you would like to think in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world do we. From my experience there are a lot of lazy freeloaders out there who don't want to work and are quite happy to live off benefits. They wont go over the 16 hour limit because they then get reduced government payouts...... and I am not talking of immigrants here either

We have indigenous tossers of our own already doing that.

Anyway, whilst people coming here may not come to claim benefits there are some who end up doing just that.

Last edited:
Thats what you would like to think in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world do we. From my experience there are a lot of lazy freeloaders out there who don't want to work and are quite happy to live off benefits. They wont go over the 16 hour limit because they then get reduced government payouts...... and I am not talking of immigrants here either

Either you've not understood what I've posted or you're just trying to be provocative, with a hint of patronisation for good measure.

I'm fully aware of people who work the system and freeload (call it what you will), which is why don't say everyone has the desire to get out and work. It seems like a nasty trap (maybe not the most approparite word to describe it) that people find themselves in or fall into.

But I do think that most people would rather work than not.

as spion says...it's the chavs who take the benefits...not the polskis

what on earth is Woolas on about?

seems like a pathetic grasp at the middle england vote

the government DOES want an increasing population...otherwise it will be an older and older population and the economy would be ****ed

Either you've not understood what I've posted or you're just trying to be provocative, with a hint of patronisation for good measure.

I'm fully aware of people who work the system and freeload (call it what you will), which is why don't say everyone has the desire to get out and work. It seems like a nasty trap (maybe not the most approparite word to describe it) that people find themselves in or fall into.

But I do think that most people would rather work than not

It's fair to say that, percentage wise most people would want to work

but when you run a factory where the main qualification is how to use an alarm clock so to get to work on time, there is a very high turnover of staff. These people don't want to work or are not too bothered if they lost their jobs, they just don't care less. The benefits system is there to fall back on. These people are the first to moan when you put an immigrant worker in their place though.

The Polish work force is extremely hard working on the whole, however it is a well known fact that the majority of the Polish workers send a huge amount of their earnings back to familly in Poland, economically they don't contribute that much beyond actaully filling a vacant role.

I hear that a high amount of Polish workers are now moving out of the Uk and going to Norway to get higher pay. The higher cost of living does not effect them as much as they share accomodation and generally live on the bare minimum.

But as far as the immigration debate goes I don't have a clue :003:

the government DOES want an increasing population...otherwise it will be an older and older population and the economy would be ****ed

That argument has been debunked many times for the simple reason that immigrants get older too and eventually want a pension themselves.

Tbh I don't have a problem with people coming here to work hard and improve their own living standards.

I started this thread to show up the govt's hypocrisy.

I hear that a high amount of Polish workers are now moving out of the Uk and going to Norway to get higher pay. The higher cost of living does not effect them as much as they share accomodation and generally live on the bare minimum.

Swedes do the same as the salaries in Norway are way higher than Sweden's. So is the cost of living but as you say, it is possible to get away with a nice paycheck even without working 24/7.

Them bogtrotters do, taking our jobs as well. And they killed lady di and snatched maddy.

The Polish work force is extremely hard working on the whole, however it is a well known fact that the majority of the Polish workers send a huge amount of their earnings back to familly in Poland, economically they don't contribute that much beyond actaully filling a vacant role.

But as far as the immigration debate goes I don't have a clue :003:

There's a Polish lad employed by us that is the laziest, workshy **** I've ever had the misfortune of meeting, ****ing arrogant prick as well.

I also know several Polish lads that have never worked a day in their lives and only moved to the UK & Ireland to sell drugs, duty free fags & booze and to generally scam people.

I don't really understand this fairly recent myth that the Polish are somehow genetically the most hardworking race on the planet, it's a load of bollocks. They are just getting money however they can and sending it back to Poland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566