Interview questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Intreview questions

Tell me 3 positive and 3 negative things about yourself?

Threw me that one. Couldnt think of anything positive

Not even a thank you :icon_roll

This is one I was given to answer at an interview a few years ago.

Imagine you are the Mayor of a coastal town and you have just had a call from an acredited source that a Tsunami is about to hit the town within the next 3 hours. What do you do? Explain the reasons for your answer.

My first answer was to PANIC!!!!!!!!!

and then I tried to answer it how I thought they wanted it answering.

Why are man-hole covers round and not square?

:icon_conf

mhc-5140-5175.jpg

Right OK thats my list compiled. Some cracking questions there people. Thank you all for helping me and more importantly showing others that TB can be a community and is there to help one and other and not just to call each other benders. :icon_lol:

Why are man-hole covers round and not square?

have heard this one

the answer supposedly being that a round on can't fall in the hole...

but you can make one with a larger top than bottom that can't fall in

however, that would probably be a design decision more than a practical one and that's why most are circular (well cylindrical!)

It's a simple question. There are simple answers. But the great not-so-secret about these types of questions that everyone seems to miss is that it's not about the answer! The interviewer cares much more about how you arrive a whatever answer you get than what that answer is. Are you thinking logically? Is there method or madness to the solutions you consider, accept, and discard? Are you even willing to entertain such an absurd question?
Oh. You still want the answer.
The most common answer is simply that a round manhole cover can't fall into the hole it covers. But I did tell you that there's more than one answer. Heavy, round manhole covers are easier for one person to move by standing it on end and rolling. Also, you don't have to "align" a manhole cover to it's hole. Any orientation will do.

It's a simple question. There are simple answers. But the great not-so-secret about these types of questions that everyone seems to miss is that it's not about the answer! The interviewer cares much more about how you arrive a whatever answer you get than what that answer is. Are you thinking logically? Is there method or madness to the solutions you consider, accept, and discard? Are you even willing to entertain such an absurd question?
Oh. You still want the answer.
The most common answer is simply that a round manhole cover can't fall into the hole it covers. But I did tell you that there's more than one answer. Heavy, round manhole covers are easier for one person to move by standing it on end and rolling. Also, you don't have to "align" a manhole cover to it's hole. Any orientation will do.

I lifted several square, rectangular and circular ones this morning. I didn't lift any triangular ones though.

The circular ones were easiest. But thats because they weren't tarmacked over. In addition, there was a Ford Galaxy parked on top of a square, that proved impossible to lift.Though you appear to have over-looked this critical element in your above analysis.

I lifted several square, rectangular and circular ones this morning. I didn't lift any triangular ones though.

The circular ones were easiest. But thats because they weren't tarmacked over. In addition, there was a Ford Galaxy parked on top of a square, that proved impossible to lift.Though you appear to have over-looked this critical element in your above analysis.

do you live in the sewer, like him off of Beauty & The Beast?

Last edited:

Or you could pick the person who was most suited to the job rather than how cute their answers are....

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Brighton13
2Arsenal13
3Liverpool13
4Manchester C  13
5Aston Villa13
6Brentford13
7Manchester U13
8Newcastle13
9Bournemouth11