Ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres no quick way to import 300 cds on to a computer be it with itunes or any other music library software.

Agreed - but there are people who think that it takes as long to upload them as it does to listen to them.

I already have all my albums on Windows Media Player. I just want to know if I can copy them all over to iTunes.

Easy then, itunes can scan the folder where they reside and automatically convert them and then display them in the itunes library. it will take quite a while but obviously you dont need to be in attendance once youve set it away.

I think what he was referring to as stealing is having the track on multiple devices. If you apply it to real world physical objects, I cannot buy a DVD from HMV and then make duplicates, similarly I can't go in and buy it once and then just wander in at any point and take another copy off the shelf for free.

As you can't monitor the "version" of a file economically then I think they get around this by saying you can only have a copy in one place.

And if you go down the whole " I was just backing it up" route then they would argue why do you need to backup to another portable device, a fixed storage media would be much better.

I download at least 2 or 3 albums a month on one of my work PCs (connected to an unmonitored DSL line with no bandwidth restriction) I then transfer those files onto my mp3 player, I then transfer them from my mp3 player to another work PC (this PC has speakers attached & a big enough HD to store music) I then bring my mp3 player home and using one of my home PCs transfer to an external HD & sometimes also onto that PCs HD.

So in theory those same mp3 files could exist on up to 5 devices, which I'm perfectly entitled to do.

Also, if I was to go into a shop and purchase a DVD or CD I'm well within my rights to make a copy of them, but cannot distribute those copies to somebody else.

I download at least 2 or 3 albums a month on one of my work PCs (connected to an unmonitored DSL line with no bandwidth restriction) I then transfer those files onto my mp3 player, I then transfer them from my mp3 player to another work PC (this PC has speakers attached & a big enough HD to store music) I then bring my mp3 player home and using one of my home PCs transfer to an external HD & sometimes also onto that PCs HD.

So in theory those same mp3 files could exist on up to 5 devices, which I'm perfectly entitled to do.

Also, if I was to go into a shop and purchase a DVD or CD I'm well within my rights to make a copy of them, but cannot distribute those copies to somebody else.
Surely it is not downloading.

'Downloading means moving files from another computer to the one you're currently working on.'

Of course there are other types of downloading, file sharing etc.

You would say transferring the songs onto your ipod or possibly copying.

Surely it is not downloading.

'Downloading means moving files from another computer to the one you're currently working on.'

Of course there are other types of downloading, file sharing etc.

You would say transferring the songs onto your ipod or possibly copying.

No it doesn't mean that.

I am downloading from a web site, on to a PC, music files that I have bought & paid for.
Then transferring those files onto my mp3 player and to other PCs & drives.

I know that it is perfectly legal to do that, but having that option to transfer songs to any computer from a portable device could be used as an illegal method of distributing copyrighted materials. I'll give you an example as you seem to find the concept a little confusing! If I were to take my iPod to a friends house and transfer some or all of my music from my iPod to his computer, then I would be illegally distributing the material. The iPod doesn't allow you to do this as a means of protection against illegally distributing copyrighted music.

I'm pretty sure you knew what I was referring to or were you just far too stoned!? :icon_razz

I'm pretty sure you knew what I was referring to or were you just far too stoned!? :icon_razz

I absolutely didn't know what you were saying, can't remember if I was stoned or not, damn this short term memory loss! :icon_bigg

I know that it is perfectly legal to do that, but having that option to transfer songs to any computer from a portable device could be used as an illegal method of distributing copyrighted materials. I'll give you an example as you seem to find the concept a little confusing! If I were to take my iPod to a friends house and transfer some or all of my music from my iPod to his computer, then I would be illegally distributing the material. The iPod doesn't allow you to do this as a means of protection against illegally distributing copyrighted music.

So does that mean that if I owned an iPod I wouldn't be able to use it in the perfectly reasonable way that I currently use my mp3 player? :icon_eek:

If so, then they are even more f*cktarded than I thought they were.

Last edited:
I absolutely didn't know what you were saying, can't remember if I was stoned or not, damn this short term memory loss! :icon_bigg

What? Who are you? Have I spoken to you before?

So does that mean that if I owned an iPod I wouldn't be able to use it in the perfectly reasonable way that I currently use my mp3 player? :icon_eek:

If so, then they are even more f*cktarded than I thought they were.

No you can do it the way I said a page or 2 back.

There is a setting to enable you to use an iPod as an external device, allow this, copy and paste songs to iPod storage device connect iPod to other computer, add songs to iTunes, transfer from iTunes to iPod.

If an iPod is 'f*cktarded', give me 5 points that back this 'slanderous' comment up! :biggrin:

I'll give you an example as you seem to find the concept a little confusing! If I were to take my iPod to a friends house and transfer some or all of my music from my iPod to his computer, then I would be illegally distributing the material. The iPod doesn't allow you to do this as a means of protection against illegally distributing copyrighted music.

There is a setting to enable you to use an iPod as an external device, allow this, copy and paste songs to iPod storage device connect iPod to other computer, add songs to iTunes, transfer from iTunes to iPod.

So which one is it? Can you or can't you? :102:

So which one is it? Can you or can't you? :102:

You can.

You can't do it through iTunes though and when you are transferring them on the iPod as an external storage device, you can't listen to them, they are only stored on it.

You can.

You can't do it through iTunes though and when you are transferring them on the iPod as an external storage device, you can't listen to them, they are only stored on it.

WHAT!?!?! :icon_eek:

That truly is f*cktarded.

Please explain then what possible benefit anybody would have by wasting money on such a restrictive device.

WHAT!?!?! :icon_eek:

That truly is f*cktarded.

Please explain then what possible benefit anybody would have by wasting money on such a restrictive device.

When you answer my question first. :icon_bigg

Easy then, itunes can scan the folder where they reside and automatically convert them and then display them in the itunes library. it will take quite a while but obviously you dont need to be in attendance once youve set it away.

It only takes a while if you choose to convert them into the iTunes folder. If you leave them where they are it is relatively quick.

I think I already have

Well one point repeated over and over again!

I answered your question before you even asked it, I stated my reasons for deciding to buy an iPod on the previous page or so which I could expand on. :110:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469