Post Match Ipswich 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I mean, Beckford hasn't scored a single goal since he's been injured.

Last edited:
I agree, I mean, Beckford hasn't scored a single goal since he's been injured.

The 4 in 19 before that though suggested he was prolific...definitely worth the 30k+ wages a week

Having a side that is incapable of withstanding the challenge of more or less anyone that is able to play a physical game isn't a likely formula for promotion - I'm pretty sure of that. bringing back into the fold Wellens ( very good footballer who is finished now) and Gallagher ( a luxury fringe player wherever he's been) isn't a likely formula either.

You mean like Ipswich? Who we beat 6-0 earlier in the season? Or more like when we lost to Wolves, who we then beat? Or Blackburn? Or Hull? In fact, who are these stronger teams who we are so incapable of beating?

Our away form leaves something to be desired but I'm not sure how people are working out which teams are "physical" or not other than based on whether we won or not.

Our away form leaves something to be desired but I'm not sure how people are working out which teams are "physical" or not other than based on whether we won or not.

It's like this, if we lose, it's because we were outmuscled, if we win, it's because the other team let us play and didn't park the bus.

It's like this, if we lose, it's because we were outmuscled, if we win, it's because the other team let us play and didn't park the bus.

I doubt it, there is no easy button to apply this theory in Football Manager so I refuse to believe it exists.

Last edited:
Firstly, let me say that I am AMAZED at any discussion of Pearson's position, at this time (Not aiming this at you - a general point). The only thing to do, at this stage of the season, is to get behind the man in charge. If you cannot be positive, then shut up (hence my shortage of recent posts).

Secondly, I would challenge this idea, started by Pearson in the post match interview at Ipswich, that we are suddenly packed with players that are great saleable assets. With the exception of Morgan, who has come to this club and been improved as a player? Wood was banging in goals before we signed him so, if no other team was prepared to top our bid then, I see no reason why they should now. Knockaert has talent but if we paid anything like the rumoured £2.5m, I do not see teams lining up to prise him from our grasp. Marshall has gone from great talent to bit player: James and Drinkwater have blown hot and cold, Whitbread is never fit, de Laet is unexceptional and the least said about Vardy, the better.

I am not saying that some of these players could not be assets in the future (particularly James) but, I would not see a queue for any of them now and, I am far from convinced that the coaching at Leicester improves anyone.

Thirdly, if we do not get promotion this season, we deserve a good kicking. This is the worst Championship that I can remember. We cannot presume that next season's promoted Div. 1 and relegated Premier teams will fare as poorly as this season's. It has never been so easy to escape the Championship, as Cardiff are proving, with a team that does not seem greatly improved from last season.

To me it looks like our coaching setup has clear problems, many players get worse after joining us, especially strikers.

To me it looks like our coaching setup has clear problems, many players get worse after joining us, especially strikers.

The evidence against the lack of effective coaching goes well beyond this. The most clear issue is the fact that anyone not regularly playing for the first team goes horrendously out of form and fitness. The subs and back up players should be being worked like crazy to both provide competition for places and be available to change games when needed. I don't think our lack of this is down to these players being that much worse than the first eleven, I think it is down to them being trained and coached inadequately. Part of this is down to the fact that we're not using the 'loan out' system well enough, part of it is due to an ineffective second team set up, but mostly it is down to rank bad coaching.

Aside from James for a brief period, I can't think of one player change we've made this season from our back up players that has had a positive impact. The nearest was Waghorn who was put into the side whilst completely off the pace and out of form, and was persisted with until he found some form for a while.

I do agree that the NP regime have some strong examples of making players worse too. My personal low-light on this is Schmeichel. His distribution under Sven was outstanding. When NP came in, he used to hammer KS almost every time he played the ball out quickly. This season, apart from one or two notable exceptions, this advantage has remained unused and his distribution skills have floundered.

The evidence against the lack of effective coaching goes well beyond this. The most clear issue is the fact that anyone not regularly playing for the first team goes horrendously out of form and fitness. The subs and back up players should be being worked like crazy to both provide competition for places and be available to change games when needed. I don't think our lack of this is down to these players being that much worse than the first eleven, I think it is down to them being trained and coached inadequately. Part of this is down to the fact that we're not using the 'loan out' system well enough, part of it is due to an ineffective second team set up, but mostly it is down to rank bad coaching.

Aside from James for a brief period, I can't think of one player change we've made this season from our back up players that has had a positive impact. The nearest was Waghorn who was put into the side whilst completely off the pace and out of form, and was persisted with until he found some form for a while.

I do agree that the NP regime have some strong examples of making players worse too. My personal low-light on this is Schmeichel. His distribution under Sven was outstanding. When NP came in, he used to hammer KS almost every time he played the ball out quickly. This season, apart from one or two notable exceptions, this advantage has remained unused and his distribution skills have floundered.
You make a good point about the back-up players which I hadn't noticed. Casting my mind back to his last spell here I can remember a similar scenario.

I disagree on the Schmeichel bit. Under Sven he tried far to hard to play the Hollywood balls to Beckford and 9 times out of 10 he completely messed it up, handing posession to the opposition. They might look good and appear dangerous but they were usually a complete waste of time.

The more thoughtful, patient approach has led to a better consistency and, more importantly, sustained posession for us. he still goes for the early long kicks but now they are more dangerous as he picks the moment well instead of doing it every time. That can only be down to coaching.

You make a good point about the back-up players which I hadn't noticed. Casting my mind back to his last spell here I can remember a similar scenario.

I disagree on the Schmeichel bit. Under Sven he tried far to hard to play the Hollywood balls to Beckford and 9 times out of 10 he completely messed it up, handing posession to the opposition. They might look good and appear dangerous but they were usually a complete waste of time.

The more thoughtful, patient approach has led to a better consistency and, more importantly, sustained posession for us. he still goes for the early long kicks but now they are more dangerous as he picks the moment well instead of doing it every time. That can only be down to coaching.

I have to agree with Brown Nose that Kasper has gone backwards this season, far too many balls are kicked out wide to a winger who struggles to win it (this seems to be a major part of Nigels attack plan), I also think he's been far less confident this year which surprises me because he has a better defense in front of him.

I have to agree with Brown Nose that Kasper has gone backwards this season, far too many balls are kicked out wide to a winger who struggles to win it (this seems to be a major part of Nigels attack plan), I also think he's been far less confident this year which surprises me because he has a better defense in front of him.

Long kicks down defenders throats, with the likes of Nugent attacking them is not an attractive option (likewise with Chris Wood rooted to the ground). It's not uncommon to see kicks aimed out wide to the more vulnerable defenders, although I do not remember is doing it too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566