Post Match Ipswich 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why, knowing that the aim is to get promotion this season as said by the owners themselves has Pearson taken this route? I agree that young players need time but If Pearson didn't understand the aim for THIS season then his overall planning is as bad as his plan B.

I posted this on the financial results thread.

I see a division where the quality between all 24 sides is minimal. The Premier League pays it's bench men far too well for a Championship side to be capable of building a side of these players which is nailed on for promotion. There is no correct formula to promotion, the division is far too detachted from the Premier League and competitive to achieve that.

The players you recruit can be categorised in three groups: a) players' whose career has surpassed their best - the risk is that their motivation is minimal b) you pay players Premier League wages - motivation a risk again or c) you try and build a side on prospects/foreign gambles - consistency the risk. There is no get quick fix to promotion.

Of course, if you sign prospects and make them better players...their value grows giving the club a sellable asset. This maybe something that the owners wanted to push for after being stung with loanees during Sven's era and paying contracts off from players signed during Sousa's short spell.

Last edited:
Then why, knowing that the aim is to get promotion this season as said by the owners themselves has Pearson taken this route? I agree that young players need time but If Pearson didn't understand the aim for THIS season then his overall planning is as bad as his plan B.

Maybe he thought the players were capable of competing at the top end of the division whilst improving them? Something they have done consistently over the season. Only one team can finish second and Hull, Watford and us all have similar outlays. Do you think they will sack their manager if they don't make it up? Or would you rather us follow Watford's loan idea and become a feeder club?

I posted this on the financial results thread.

I see a division where the quality between all 24 sides is minimal. The Premier League pays it's bench men far too well for a Championship side to be capable of building a side of these players which is nailed on for promotion. There is no correct formula to promotion, the division is far too detachted from the Premier League and competitive to achieve that.

The players you recruit can be categorised in three groups: a) players' whose career has surpassed their best - the risk is that their motivation is minimal b) you pay players Premier League wages - motivation a risk again or c) you try and build a side on prospects/foreign gambles - consistency the risk. There is no get quick fix to promotion.

Of course, if you sign prospects and make them better players...their value grows giving the club a sellable asset. This maybe something that the owners wanted to push for after being stung with loanees during Sven's era and paying contracts off from players signed during Sousa's short spell.

Firstly, let me say that I am AMAZED at any discussion of Pearson's position, at this time (Not aiming this at you - a general point). The only thing to do, at this stage of the season, is to get behind the man in charge. If you cannot be positive, then shut up (hence my shortage of recent posts).

Secondly, I would challenge this idea, started by Pearson in the post match interview at Ipswich, that we are suddenly packed with players that are great saleable assets. With the exception of Morgan, who has come to this club and been improved as a player? Wood was banging in goals before we signed him so, if no other team was prepared to top our bid then, I see no reason why they should now. Knockaert has talent but if we paid anything like the rumoured £2.5m, I do not see teams lining up to prise him from our grasp. Marshall has gone from great talent to bit player: James and Drinkwater have blown hot and cold, Whitbread is never fit, de Laet is unexceptional and the least said about Vardy, the better.

I am not saying that some of these players could not be assets in the future (particularly James) but, I would not see a queue for any of them now and, I am far from convinced that the coaching at Leicester improves anyone.

Thirdly, if we do not get promotion this season, we deserve a good kicking. This is the worst Championship that I can remember. We cannot presume that next season's promoted Div. 1 and relegated Premier teams will fare as poorly as this season's. It has never been so easy to escape the Championship, as Cardiff are proving, with a team that does not seem greatly improved from last season.

Maybe he thought the players were capable of competing at the top end of the division whilst improving them? Something they have done consistently over the season. Only one team can finish second and Hull, Watford and us all have similar outlays. Do you think they will sack their manager if they don't make it up? Or would you rather us follow Watford's loan idea and become a feeder club?

You miss my point, The owners have stated to the fans, and most certainly in stronger terms to Pearson that the goal this season is to get promoted, Pearson cannot hide behind his transfer policy at the end of the season as he knew the brief, he will imho be sacked if he fails to reach that goal.

Secondly, I would challenge this idea, started by Pearson in the post match interview at Ipswich, that we are suddenly packed with players that are great saleable assets. With the exception of Morgan, who has come to this club and been improved as a player? Wood was banging in goals before we signed him so, if no other team was prepared to top our bid then, I see no reason why they should now. Knockaert has talent but if we paid anything like the rumoured £2.5m, I do not see teams lining up to prise him from our grasp. Marshall has gone from great talent to bit player: James and Drinkwater have blown hot and cold, Whitbread is never fit, de Laet is unexceptional and the least said about Vardy, the better.

A lot of that is dependant on your opinion regards quality.

If you were to compare a thirty year old Neil Danns or a twenty-two year old Danny Drinkwater, who is the more attractive signing to a club despite both being average and prone to inconsistency?

Drinkwater is more likely to improve given his age.

As for coaching, we have three players who've been here for a year now under Pearson; Drinkwater, Morgan and Marshall. Morgan has excelled, Drinkwater has improved from his early time here and Marshall whilst not weighing in with goals has provided the most assists for us (and is within the top ten in the division albeit equal to others).

You miss my point, The owners have stated to the fans, and most certainly in stronger terms to Pearson that the goal this season is to get promoted, Pearson cannot hide behind his transfer policy at the end of the season as he knew the brief, he will imho be sacked if he fails to reach that goal.

I'm sure there is a good chance he will be, it doesn't make it any less ridiculous though and it doesn't make it any more sensible for fans to want it.

Saw the highlights today on Sky. Kane's bask-pass miss wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although he really should have scored. At the other end, Kasper really shouldn't have been beaten at his near post considering the angle of McGoldrick's shot. But saying that, Morgan really should have dealt with the initial hoof a lot better.

Which is why NP is screwed if we go up or not. The short-term mentality of some fans means that if we were promoted and hit any sort of bad patch they would want him out (as they did at the beginning of this season). If we don't get promoted fans will be saying he has failed and want him out.

Completely agree that NP is screwed whatever happens. I know you don't think that's right, but it is highly likely to happen.

Once you accept the inevitability of it all, attachment to him and his approach surely lessens? Even if you think he's the best manager since Ferguson, the 99% probability that he won't be our manager this time next year is important.

For this you either blame him or the owners. I blame him. He came back to the club with his eyes wide open about what the terms were and he decided that he needed to rip everything up and start again, fall out with players, etc. Some of the changes he's made have strengthened us, some haven't. Overall, he hasn't improved us enough.

To fudge the issue entirely by blaming fans for any of this is ridiculous. The owners recruited him with one remit, get us up and keep us up. Any sign that this isn't going to happen and he's toast. Why is this critical fans fault? All people like me have done is buy into the owners expectations and judge our manager by those expectations.

Completely agree that NP is screwed whatever happens. I know you don't think that's right, but it is highly likely to happen.

Once you accept the inevitability of it all, attachment to him and his approach surely lessens? Even if you think he's the best manager since Ferguson, the 99% probability that he won't be our manager this time next year is important.

For this you either blame him or the owners. I blame him. He came back to the club with his eyes wide open about what the terms were and he decided that he needed to rip everything up and start again, fall out with players, etc. Some of the changes he's made have strengthened us, some haven't. Overall, he hasn't improved us enough.

To fudge the issue entirely by blaming fans for any of this is ridiculous. The owners recruited him with one remit, get us up and keep us up. Any sign that this isn't going to happen and he's toast. Why is this critical fans fault? All people like me have done is buy into the owners expectations and judge our manager by those expectations.

I assume this is meant for another thread? One where the fans have been blamed?

Also, you entire post is based on him not being here next season no matter what, which is also bollocks.

I assume this is meant for another thread? One where the fans have been blamed?

Also, you entire post is based on him not being here next season no matter what, which is also bollocks.

I would guess that Brown Nose is referring to the part of my post where I suggest some fans have a 'short-term mentality'.

I think to try and blame the owners for this mentality however is a little bit naive. If it truly was the owners then NP would have been sacked after 5 games when some fans were calling for it. As it is we still have a chance of getting promoted 30 games later.

I am not suggesting this is unique to us, more the problem with modern football and the philosophy that you must win every game.

I wonder how many of the other top 6 teams are debating their next manager's merits.

Not interested in what fans of other top 6 clubs are debating.

As has been pointed out on the thread - supporters have bought into the owners expectations and promotion is an expectation. Pearson knew this when he came back.

OF makes a point about the need for supporters to get behind the manager at this point. As far as I'm aware everyone with a couple of functioning brain cells realises that we are past the point of no return in a managerial change this season.

If we can't get promoted under Pearson this season I can see no reason why we would do next season or the following seasons. His judgement on the players he brings in is about as consistent as the results he achieves.

Incidentally do you ever post on Cardiff City forums?

... supporters have bought into the owners expectations

Do you really think that's true? I see plenty of people who are and always have been very sceptical of the owners' apparent belief that promotion can be bought. It's surely only people who are not thinking for themselves that have ever expected promotion as some kind of inevitability.

Well said Boc, nothing is a given in any league of football let alone one of the most competitive.

As painful as it is to say but I really wouldn't have been disappointed had we followed a similar model to Derby as opposed to going for the mini Man City option.

Do you really think that's true? I see plenty of people who are and always have been very sceptical of the owners' apparent belief that promotion can be bought. It's surely only people who are not thinking for themselves that have ever expected promotion as some kind of inevitability.

It suits me to buy into the owners' expectations because i want promotion and i want it now!

Broadly speaking I see it as a case of inputs and outputs i.e. enough has been invested to expect a positive outcome.

I don't thnink Pearson is up to the mark but will be delighted to be proved wrong.

But there is no set formula for chucking 'x' million at a team and it equating to promotion.

I think QPR are the only team that have really bought the league recently and it took them 5 years of sackings and complete squad overhauls before they went up. Hardly looking great for them at the minute either so hardly seems the best example to follow.

it suits me to buy into the owners' expectations because i want promotion and i want it now!

Broadly speaking i see it as a case of inputs and outputs i.e. Enough has been invested to expect a positive outcome.

qed

Last edited:
But there is no set formula for chucking 'x' million at a team and it equating to promotion.

I think QPR are the only team that have really bought the league recently and it took them 5 years of sackings and complete squad overhauls before they went up. Hardly looking great for them at the minute either so hardly seems the best example to follow.

Having a side that is incapable of withstanding the challenge of more or less anyone that is able to play a physical game isn't a likely formula for promotion - I'm pretty sure of that. bringing back into the fold Wellens ( very good footballer who is finished now) and Gallagher ( a luxury fringe player wherever he's been) isn't a likely formula either.

Having a side that is incapable of withstanding the challenge of more or less anyone that is able to play a physical game isn't a likely formula for promotion - I'm pretty sure of that. bringing back into the fold Wellens ( very good footballer who is finished now) and Gallagher ( a luxury fringe player wherever he's been) isn't a likely formula either.

Who would you have brought in instead of Wellens and Gally? After all "enough has been invested" in the squad so you must be sure that we have an abundance of quality players waiting in the wings...

Last edited:
Who would you have brought in instead of Wellens and Gally? After all "enough has been invested" in the squad so you must be sure that we have an abundance of quality players waiting in the wings...

Danns and Beckford!!!!1!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570