Post Match Ipswich (home) 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see it as just mid-table mediocrity. More than half the season gone and we are entrenched in the middle - probably only sixth and last play off place reasonably in reach and very probably too many points to fear relegation.

This squad needs sorting out - really sorting out - no point in Pearson being a pretend b-sta-d he needs to be a real b-sta-d with these vastly over paid underperformers.

Relax, Pearson will repeat his triumph of winning the First Division with City: sadly, we need to be relegated first! :icon_bigg

Seriously, we are seeing the weakness of Pearson, he can only turn out one type of team. Hopefully, in January, he will get the personnel to play 4-4-2.

A dreary, toothless performance of total and utter mediocrity

Shocking performances frpm Dyer, Wellens, Beckford, and Nugent. All dreadful

Abe, Konchesky and (in patches) Gally all played well

Everyone else just average, at best

Why the feck we stuck Beckford on his own down the left is simply beyond me. Why we left it until the last five minutes to bring on Howard and Schlupp is just baffling. Why on earth we left Wellens on the pitch, simply to get in everybody's way is a modern day mystery that may never be solved

It's complete cack these days, and that's being very kind indeed

Relax, Pearson will repeat his triumph of winning the First Division with City: sadly, we need to be relegated first! :icon_bigg

Seriously, we are seeing the weakness of Pearson, he can only turn out one type of team. Hopefully, in January, he will get the personnel to play 4-4-2.

Not quite the way I would have expressed (i.e. we wont get relegated) it but in essence I think you are right.

To switch from Sven to Pearson was a mega change not just a change of name I'm not a bit surprise that we are having a bad time. Pearson is not a fool and he will want to change the shape and structure of the squad.

But I think its unrealistic to expect these changes to be made in January - this transfer window is expensive and for the desperate. We aren't going to get promotion this season so I expect him to take his time. We've run out of the sacking of managers option for the time being so he does have some time on his side.

Toothless midfield. Wrong type of service to the strikers. Kasper is the only good thing about our team.

Agreed, but I'd add wrong type of movement by the strikers as well.

I though Beckford and Nugent were both absolutely dreadful today. Just hid behind defenders, it's all well and good saying you need better service, but the strikers have to make an effort to get into the positions and attack the ball as well. Beckford made absolutely no attempts to get in front of defenders and attack the ball, most of the time any cross or through ball towards him would have had to get through 3 defenders and he'd make no effort to get in front of them. He was so static and just hid behind the defence, was so easy to mark out of the game.

And our defending for their goal was an embarrassment, about 3 of our defenders just sort of looked at each other and let the ball drop.

Crap performance. Thoroughly pissed off. Must do better second half of the season.

Last edited:

I don't think it's a weakness, to be honest, I think his tactics are good enough. It's just that, as you say, he hasn't got the personnel right now. The issue of width is a major one, Dyer is only good when there is another wing to compliment him, as far as width went today he was our only option and that kind of one-sightedness is going to be picked up early. We also need a target man upfront, both Beckford and Nugent are good enough for our team, but they need a complimentary striker, they're not too great dealing with the high balls and holding up play, they play better running onto balls off of the last man. Hopefully this'll be remedied come January.

I don't think it's a weakness, to be honest, I think his tactics are good enough. It's just that, as you say, he hasn't got the personnel right now. The issue of width is a major one, Dyer is only good when there is another wing to compliment him, as far as width went today he was our only option and that kind of one-sightedness is going to be picked up early. We also need a target man upfront, both Beckford and Nugent are good enough for our team, but they need a complimentary striker, they're not too great dealing with the high balls and holding up play, they play better running onto balls off of the last man. Hopefully this'll be remedied come January.

I agree with what you're saying, though I'm still unsure as to whether Beckford and Nugent are actually that good (it's hard to tell until they're actually played alongside a decent partner), but either way, Beckford and Nugent is like when we had Collymore and Cottee up front and they were dreadful together. They just don't work as a partnership or compliment each other at all. Someone needs to be brought in to play alongside one of them (preferably Nugent).

Last edited:
We have a lackluster, boring, toothless football team, who continue to serve up a standard of football that our fans seem to think (wrongly) is more akin to doncaster rovers.

We are totally and utterly average.

Our fans continue to pay £30 to watch the above.

What a ****ing shambles

We have a lackluster, boring, toothless football team, who continue to serve up a standard of football that our fans seem to think (wrongly) is more akin to doncaster rovers.

We are totally and utterly average.

Our fans continue to pay £30 to watch the above.

What a ****ing shambles

I only pay £13

I agree with what you're saying, though I'm still unsure as to whether Beckford and Nugent are actually that good (it's hard to tell until they're actually played alongside a decent partner), but either way, Beckford and Nugent is like when we had Collymore and Cottee up front and they were dreadful together. They just don't work as a partnership or compliment each other at all. Someone needs to be brought in to play alongside one of them (preferably Nugent).

Correct. Heskey, for that single game, looked the perfect foil for SVC. A guy to take the knocks and play with his back to goal allowing the better footballer to play an expansive game. It was a role that both Marshall and Claridge played well too. I'd say Nugent and Beckford are good strikers at this level when utilised correctly. Howard could've played this role five years ago, but he's a spent force.

It's probably be beneficial for us to play a lone striker at this point, it'd perhaps place a bit more onus on the midfield to make chances through a reduced channel.

Correct. Heskey, for that single game, looked the perfect foil for SVC. A guy to take the knocks and play with his back to goal allowing the better footballer to play an expansive game. It was a role that both Marshall and Claridge played well too. I'd say Nugent and Beckford are good strikers at this level when utilised correctly. Howard could've played this role five years ago, but he's a spent force.

It's probably be beneficial for us to play a lone striker at this point, it'd perhaps place a bit more onus on the midfield to make chances through a reduced channel.

I think you're probably right that with our current players we might suit playing someone up front on his own. I certainly don't want to see us keep persisting with this Nugent/Beckford strikeforce that simply isn't working.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear: I, too, like to see a team play with wingers, I just think that a good manager should be able to make the best of what he has until such time as he can buy in players to fit his preferred style.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear: I, too, like to see a team play with wingers, I just think that a good manager should be able to make the best of what he has until such time as he can buy in players to fit his preferred style.

I agree. Making the best of it means telling your players to run at the fullbacks and get into the area and try to get into space in support of your team mates rather than persisting punting crosses into the box that never lead to anything. Were it not for Scotland's unforced error we would have wound up with another poor home defeat.

Putting Yuki in over King appears to be a step in the right direction on today's individual performances but we need to look at the machine as a whole as well as the individual cogs if you get my drift. The tactics aren't right either.

EDIT - having read the bbc post match report though, maybe I was a bit harsh - "Schmeichel pushed Chopra's penalty round the post but Huddersfield were soon in the lead." I didn't know we were playing two teams. In which case a draw is a bloody good effort!

Last edited:
Too many players had a below par game, either through their own lack of effort/performance, or because of others. Yet Beckford appears to be this season's scapegoat.

It just confirms to me that most of our fans don't have a sodding clue.

Our fans are shit, our manager is shit and our team is playing shit. Pearson will buy wingers and still lose because of the useless central midfield and lack if tactics, I'm looking forward to the next 5 months as much as I look forward to root canal surgery.

Admittedly only watched the game on stream but cant believe how many people are slagging Beckford, i thought he played well, certainly better than Nugent, given some decent service from midfield Becks will score plenty ie sort the midfield out NP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669