Is no one smiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top post Scarby, have said this myself before.

It does need to be brought back, hopefully a rise in fortunes on the pitch may bring us some character that we have so desperately been lacking on the terraces.

IMO it is partly down to the move but also the abysmal form we have suffered over the past few years since moving to The Walkers. We have slowly drifted into becoming a bit of a 'nothing' team at home with awful support. Before kick-off at the Plymouth game I was shocked by how much crap goes on before the game and realised we are now a boring family club with little or no atmosphere.

Bring back 'When you're smiling....', at least it was something that was pretty much sang just by us and made us have at least one unique chant.

I always remember our fans giving the smiling song a rousing burst at Anfield in our boxing day (1984) win over them. It was sung loud and proud to the bemused scousers after the final whistle. We won 2-1......oh the memories:icon_bigg

Back when the fans had passion and character, i have heard it sung loud and proud a few times when i was much much younger and i remember thinking that it was brilliant, it really made me like the song.

Back when the fans had passion and character, i have heard it sung loud and proud a few times when i was much much younger and i remember thinking that it was brilliant, it really made me like the song.

I mainly sat in The Carling stand at Filbo and always thought it looked mint when the whole Kop would be singing it, usually before kick off.

Was even better actually being in there for a couple of seasons joining in!!

In addition to my post, I suggest we also bring back the old 'Double-Decker', had so much character that stand!! :icon_sad:

Last edited:
so how should we go about bringing it back as the club song?

Shell i email the club?

Lazzer, does you lad still have the copy they recorded? maybe send it to the club to play pre match or half time.

I believe they already sell the CD in the club shop.

Any campaign to revive it will be well met im sure.

so how should we go about bringing it back as the club song?

Shell i email the club?

Lazzer, does you lad still have the copy they recorded? maybe send it to the club to play pre match or half time.

Would probably be worth it as a starting point to see what their initial thought on it is.

Maybe try and get The Mercury involved somehow as then at least the vast majority of City fans will be aware of it. If it is done through forums then it will only reach a very small %age of fans and would be about as successful as the 'singing section'!!

Yup, most of the lack of atmosphere and singing is down to the new sterile stadium. It of course started at filbo when they the Taylor report forced us to install all seater stadia.

When they ripped the kop up and replaced it with seats...it just dampened it a bit. Now though its almost non existent.

I`ve worked in the away end for many years, and before that was in the kop or east stand for at least 15!
Don`t forget, every year people who maybe once used to sing " When you`re smiling " in the 80`s and 90`s....drop out from the club...maybe never to come again.
Though this is pretty normal ( growing older,gettied married w/kids,plain f***ing bored of "going down the football").........its not being passed on through the generations!. And nobody knows it anymore coz there are only 20 people sing it in L block and normally its so weak it fades away after 10 seconds!
I predict the atmosphere will get WORSE! The new chief exec is a hardliner. I will say no more

Don't get me started on the Crazy Frog remix of The Post Horn Gallop!! :bang:

Juventus have their own song and the crowd sing it full belt pre match as the team come out. The atmosphere is just electric, and this from a crowd smaller than ours.

As great as it is, the problem with "When you're smiling" is that it doesn't really lend itself to repitition.

It does pop up pretty much every match however tamely but the Kop seem to want to sing everything in triple time.

We should have 'Under the moon of love' and be proud of our Showaddaywaddy roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669