Jack Hobbs to Celtic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I know that, what I meant was I hope we are only looking at loaning him out for now but keeping him in the summer.

Depends who we get in doesn't it?

I mean, you get 1.5M or so and Sven replaces with real prem quality....why not?

Especially if we are playing in the Prem...you think Hobbs is good enough at that level?

Especially if we are playing in the Prem...you think Hobbs is good enough at that level?

he's nowhere near it. If he goes away and cones back a better player then fair crack, if it's to work for a route out of the club then **** it.....cheerybye

he's nowhere near it.

Doesn't appear to be this season. Still young, but I can't see Sven bothering with him to be honest.

Could end up a very good player for someone else...doubt he will get a fair crack with us as the level of player we are trying to recruit are head and shoulders above.

Depends who we get in doesn't it?

I mean, you get 1.5M or so and Sven replaces with real prem quality....why not?

No he's not. Neither is he worth £1.5m.

If Hobbs was sold, I couldn't see him going for much more than we got for Morrison.

Lets hope this does not shoot us in the foot, Pearson seems to be galvanising them for a play off push. Fryatt scoring again and Hobbs strnegthening at the back. it would be ironoc if they got inm at our expense

TBH I'd be surprised if Hobbs doesn't leave in the summer now. I really can't see him going on loan elsewhere and then forcing his way back into the side.

Good move for him. He needs confidence and time on the pitch and he'll get that at 'ull. Who would have predicted this time last year that we'd be loaning Hobbs out the following season!

By his standards over the previous two seasons, Hobbs has been poor this season. His confidence was shot under Sousa and he was affected more by our shambolic August/September than anyone. Remember him coming onto the pitch in tears on his own to warm down following the Norwich debacle. The rumours of him and Sousa coming to blows that night may have some merit.

The main issues Sven will have with Hobbs is the fact that he's not got pace and his passing is poor. It's difficult to see how he's going to do anything about these attributes.

I think Hobbs will be a decent Premiership player within a couple of years but it won't be with a team that play like we currently do. And certainly not under Sven. However, if I were managing at a Stoke or Wolves, I'd happily pay £2m for him and it would be a sound investment.

I think Hobbs will be a decent Premiership player within a couple of years but it won't be with a team that play like we currently do. And certainly not under Sven. However, if I were managing at a Stoke or Wolves, I'd happily pay £2m for him and it would be a sound investment.

Don't buy that argument. Look at Puyol with Spain and Barcelona (Please note I am not saying Hobbs is anywhere near as good as the great Carles). The guy isn't reknown for being pacey or being great on the ball. But he is a solid, reliable defender, and is vital to those teams. Obviously it helps that he plays alongside Piqué who is comfortable on the ball and distributing it out from the back, but the point remains, no matter how good you are at playing with the ball, any team can benefit from having a solid no-compromising centre half.

Hobbs still has a future here if he can get his confidence back . He showed he has the ability last year.

Last edited:
I think Hobbs will be a decent Premiership player within a couple of years but it won't be with a team that play like we currently do..

I don't know with Hobbs, despite being a fan of his work last season.

Fryatt I could see as a useful player for someone if he works a relationship with a strike partner but Hobbs I wonder.

He appears to lack confidence in himself and lack leadership qualities. When everything is going smooth, he's brilliant but when the shit hits the fan, he struggles. This season when Brown went, he should have stood-up for himself and began to stamp himself on games. I remember back to him looking really poor when first joining and think will he stagnate at his current level? High possibility. For as many great performance, he was involved for City in suffering a few hammerings as well (last season included) and sometimes being completely rattled by a striker (anyone over 6ft who gave him an aerial dual).

All this said we haven't got a clue what appeared to have gone on between him and Sousa.

I just hope Sven has some Plan B for next season.

Don't buy that argument. Look at Puyol with Spain and Barcelona (Please note I am not saying Hobbs is anywhere near as good as the great Carles). The guy isn't reknown for being pacey or being great on the ball. But he is a solid, reliable defender, and is vital to those teams. Obviously it helps that he plays alongside Piqué who is comfortable on the ball and distributing it out from the back, but the point remains, no matter how good you are at playing with the ball, any team can benefit from having a solid no-compromising centre half.

Hobbs still has a future here if he can get his confidence back . He showed he has the ability last year.

Sven doesn't want that sort of central defender though. He's brought in Bamba, Davies, Mee and Bruma. All pacey, mobile and decent passers of the ball. It's just like his full backs - Sven wants pace and mobility over solid defenders. It doesn't matter how well Hobbs or Berner defend, he'll always prefer someone with va-va-voom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669