January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying loyalty doesn't exist... I hate the "all footballers care about is money" argument... just saying it's much easier to stay at a club and be seen as "loyal" when you are on a big wage to begin with.

As for the "all footballers care about is money" argument... I think it's dumb. Of course some players just care about the money, but as I said before, some also move for other reasons, such as ambition and wanting to test themselves on a different level. Some are also loyal, and will stay at a club they are happy with.

Basically, it's like people working in ANY OTHER JOB IN THE WORLD!
I don't see why footballers are held to some higher standard than everyone else... Some people will use the argument that they're already getting paid a lot anyway... but even so, if I was getting paid £100,000 a year at a company that I'd worked my way up at, and then someone else came and offered me £120,000 a year, I'd definetely have to think about it!

At the end of the day it is a job, why shouldn't they go where will pay them most for doing that job? I sure would. If I loved working for the company I was currently working at, and didn't see a new company as an exciting challenge, then I might stay where I was... who knows.

Footballers move/stay where they are for the same reasons as anyone else, in any other industry. Money, a new challenge, or being comfortable where they are (or because the missus told them they had to!)

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head there, Graz.

As for January signings, I wouldn't be surprised if we at least asked Manure about the chances of signing Cleverley. He's been one of the stand-out players in the Championship this season. But I suspect the purple-nosed old drunk rates him and I bet they wouldn't mind taking another look at him themselves. Even if he was available, he might be out of our price range. But I bet we at least ask.

I'd also ask about Cleverley's midfield partner at Watford, Henri Lansbury, who's on loan from Arsenal and looks a class act. But again, it looks like Arsenal rate him highly.

Unless we do a deal to extend Waghorn's loan or sign him permanently, we might sign another striker, but we'll probably have DJ and Dickov both coming back - can we sign yet more strikers or do we have to shift one or two first?

I have also heard that we have 2 players lined up to come in. No idea who but was told they are not financially massive signings but are players that will make a difference.

Last edited:
I'm not saying loyalty doesn't exist... I hate the "all footballers care about is money" argument... just saying it's much easier to stay at a club and be seen as "loyal" when you are on a big wage to begin with.

As for the "all footballers care about is money" argument... I think it's dumb. Of course some players just care about the money, but as I said before, some also move for other reasons, such as ambition and wanting to test themselves on a different level. Some are also loyal, and will stay at a club they are happy with.

Basically, it's like people working in ANY OTHER JOB IN THE WORLD!
I don't see why footballers are held to some higher standard than everyone else... Some people will use the argument that they're already getting paid a lot anyway... but even so, if I was getting paid £100,000 a year at a company that I'd worked my way up at, and then someone else came and offered me £120,000 a year, I'd definetely have to think about it!

At the end of the day it is a job, why shouldn't they go where will pay them most for doing that job? I sure would. If I loved working for the company I was currently working at, and didn't see a new company as an exciting challenge, then I might stay where I was... who knows.

Footballers move/stay where they are for the same reasons as anyone else, in any other industry. Money, a new challenge, or being comfortable where they are (or because the missus told them they had to!)

My point exactly, which makes you a bandwagon jumper just like me...suppose thats how we became Leicester fans in the first place....

I love it when people try to conterpoint with a dismissive one sentence. It's wicked innit.

Don't kid yourself.
The only players that have the luxury of pretending they're all about loyalty are the ones that already have a lucrative contract.

The loyalty bullshit is only a load of old bollocks, it doesn't exist, and rightly so. A professional footballer might have a career of 5 years or less, 10-15 years if he's lucky. Why should they have loyalty to any club when they have bills to pay?

Nail on head. Take a player like John Terry, he's part of the furnature at Chelsea because they've been able to pay him enough money to keep him at the club for as long as they have.

My point exactly, which makes you a bandwagon jumper just like me...suppose thats how we became Leicester fans in the first place....

I love it when people try to conterpoint with a dismissive one sentence. It's wicked innit.

You're wrong, Mr Thicky

I don't want Beckford, arrogant tosser.

Frankie Wortho looked arrogant on the pitch. Bobby Charlton looked arrogant. Franz Beckenbauer seemed so arrogant he was nicknamed "The Kaiser". Real Madrid had perhaps the greatest and most arrogant of all in Di Stefano known as "El Roy" - the King. I would like any of these but if Nigel prefers Beckford then an arrogant Beckford is my choice.

Frankie Wortho looked arrogant on the pitch. Bobby Charlton looked arrogant. Franz Beckenbauer seemed so arrogant he was nicknamed "The Kaiser". Real Madrid had perhaps the greatest and most arrogant of all in Di Stefano known as "El Roy" - the King. I would like any of these but if Nigel prefers Beckford then an arrogant Beckford is my choice.

I'm not sure any of them are much use these days.

I'm not sure any of them are much use these days.

When John Barnes was in his prime Brian Clough once said "Barnes is as good as Tom Finney. But then Tom Finney is in his eighties."
The same goes for Beckford and Di Stefano.

(I know Cloughie was adapting a Bill Shankley quote but I am not sure who Shankley's target was)

When John Barnes was in his prime Brian Clough once said "Barnes is as good as Tom Finney. But then Tom Finney is in his eighties."
The same goes for Beckford and Di Stefano.

(I know Cloughie was adapting a Bill Shankley quote but I am not sure who Shankley's target was)

:018: Again: Shankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570