January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oliver Xarmi are on their way.

When you talk of promotion, I think that, instead of comparing us to mediocre championship sides, we should be looking as to whether we have even the beginnings of a team that could cope in the Premiership. Newcastle and WBA are in this division because they weren't able so to do and yet, we are trying to gain promotion, whilst accepting that such teams are too good for us!

Getting into the Premiership via the back door will lead to tears before bedtime: any player with quality will be lured away to other Premiership strugglers whilst we will sign over rated players on exaggerated wages. After the inevitable tumble back to the Championship, financial difficulties will follow as certainly as day follows night.

Making a Premiership team is not something that can be done overnight.

In 1996 I was in Lucerne when a Swiss gentleman finding I was from Leicester startled me by saying "Congratulations on your lucky promotion. I couldn't believe you made it because every time I looked Leicester were losing matches." I had to agree with him that the team was no where near as good as the side that got relegated under Brian Little and I thought we would go straight down."

I had underated the ability of Martin O'Neill to take players that were not that good and make a very effective team. It is a sobering thought for those who hate Forest that the techniques that provided such great years were learned on the training pitch and in the changing room of Nottingham Forest.

I realise that Mickey Adams faced a club in administration and Ian Holloway a club having a collective nervous breakdown but nevertheless my gut feeling is that Nigel is the best manager since MON. But the real test is survival in the Premiership. Can Nigel provide a team spirit and an effectiveness to stay up. It is certainly possible. Big Sam managed it for years at Bolton. Stoke, Wigan and Birmingham are doing well.

Incidentally in order to check the year of our promotion under MON I went to the Martin O'Neill entry on Wikipedia and was amused to read that he "widely regarded as the best manager in the league, if not the whole world." I have some sympathy with that view but wonder what Ferguson and Mourhino would think of it.

In 1996 I was in Lucerne when a Swiss gentleman finding I was from Leicester startled me by saying "Congratulations on your lucky promotion. I couldn't believe you made it because every time I looked Leicester were losing matches." I had to agree with him that the team was no where near as good as the side that got relegated under Brian Little and I thought we would go straight down."

I had underated the ability of Martin O'Neill to take players that were not that good and make a very effective team. It is a sobering thought for those who hate Forest that the techniques that provided such great years were learned on the training pitch and in the changing room of Nottingham Forest.

I realise that Mickey Adams faced a club in administration and Ian Holloway a club having a collective nervous breakdown but nevertheless my gut feeling is that Nigel is the best manager since MON. But the real test is survival in the Premiership. Can Nigel provide a team spirit and an effectiveness to stay up. It is certainly possible. Big Sam managed it for years at Bolton. Stoke, Wigan and Birmingham are doing well.

Incidentally in order to check the year of our promotion under MON I went to the Martin O'Neill entry on Wikipedia and was amused to read that he "widely regarded as the best manager in the league, if not the whole world." I have some sympathy with that view but wonder what Ferguson and Mourhino would think of it.

I too under estimated MON for quite some time and was initially surprised that he kept us in the Premier Division.

I also agree with your underlying point that Pearson is comparable to O'Neill in terms of man management and team building: however, (and how did you know that was coming?) MON's early signings were, almost without exception, spot on whereas Pearson's buys have been a bit hit and miss. Most people agree that Morrison and Hobbs were good buys but, Neilson and Gallagher are less certainly bargains and even Wellens is beginning to look a trifle expensive.

Of course, I could be wrong again - and nobody will be more delighted if I look an idiot as we take the Prem by storm next season - but I do not see sufficient players with the potential to make the step up.

I do. But I dont think he's one of the best as you have said. I rate Reina, Cech, Van Der Sar, Green and Given to name five that are better.

If I'm honest I think only two of that list are better: Cech and Given. I'd also say Friedel is better... and IMO that's it in the Prem.

I too under estimated MON for quite some time and was initially surprised that he kept us in the Premier Division.

I also agree with your underlying point that Pearson is comparable to O'Neill in terms of man management and team building: however, (and how did you know that was coming?) MON's early signings were, almost without exception, spot on whereas Pearson's buys have been a bit hit and miss. Most people agree that Morrison and Hobbs were good buys but, Neilson and Gallagher are less certainly bargains and even Wellens is beginning to look a trifle expensive.

Of course, I could be wrong again - and nobody will be more delighted if I look an idiot as we take the Prem by storm next season - but I do not see sufficient players with the potential to make the step up.

Have you forgotten Julian Watts, Graham Fenton and Darren Eadie?

Last edited:
Someone saying Lee Hughes will be signing this week.

On the Mockery site that is.

Someone saying Lee Hughes will be signing this week.

On the Mockery site that is.

According to the radio commentary, Hughes had a blinder against Wigan in the Cup. Only way I can see this happening is if we move a striker out.

According to the radio commentary, Hughes had a blinder against Wigan in the Cup. Only way I can see this happening is if we move a striker out.

Only way I can see it happening is if Pearson is suffering from an early onset of Alzheimers

Lee Hughes FFS :icon_roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670