Jean Tigana....The Best Name Linked So Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be the best thing to happen to our glorious club in a very long time.

I am not getting excited by it yet, due to obvious reasons, but what a result if it does happen.

Exactly how I feel.

The appointment of Tigana would go along way in soothing the complete rubbish we’ve endured with the all shit managers over the years.

Last edited:
To be fair i think royle is better than some give him credir for, but would prefer monsieur Tigana.

Milan will be aware that JT will want to spend big if he comes in.

I say 'get the cheque book out Milan', and let the man get on with it.

Jean Tigana started his playing career with Toulon, in south Eastern France. Better known for its coast and port, the club was a modest outfit, which is currently in the lower divisions in French football. He joined Toulon in 1975 at the age of 20 and played for the seaside club until 1978.

The experience that he picked up at this level added to his natural skills and vision leads to a transfer to Olympique Lyonnais. Olympique Lyonnais Jean joined Olympique Lyonnais in 1978. Olympique Lyonnais’s decade had been good, with the highlight of having won the French Cup in 1973.

Nevertheless, the established players were getting older and the team needed to be revamped. Tigana was one of the players that came in.

The club’s financial situation was far from good and the club was forced to sell off good players. One of the first to leave was Lancombe, to Bordeaux. But the crisis was not over and the club also sees changes in coaches and changes in the presidency. In Tigana’s first year, the club just escaped relegation and Aime Jacquet (the trainer at the time) left at the end of the season. Jean left to join Girondins Bordeaux for FF2 million.

Girondins Bordeaux Tigana reached his peak as a player with Girondins Bordeaux with whom he reached heights, which he had never reached before. He joined the club from Lyon in 1981, for a then record fee of FF2million. A

t Bordeaux, he joined the likes of Giresse, Lancombe, Tresor and coach Aime Jacquet. From 1981 until his departure in 1989, Tigana was an instrumental figure in Bordeaux’s midfield. His first year with Bordeaux saw the club qualifying for the UEFA Cup. In 1983, the club was runner-up in the League Championship. In 1984, Girondins went one better and won the League Championship. In 1985, arguably one of the club’s better years, Bordeaux won the League Championship again and reached the semi-final of the European Cup.

Girondins lost in Turin 3-0 but nearly achieve the impossible, winning 2-0 at Lescure. Following the European Cup disappointment, the club started slowly in 1986. Nevertheless, they succeed in the French Cup, beating Marseille in the final after extra-time. 1987 Bordeaux reached the glorious double by winning the League in the last match of the season and the Cup by beating Marseille 2-0 in the final. The club also reaches the semi-finals of the Cup Winners Cup, falling to Lokomotiv Leipzig in the penalty shoot-out. Tigana moved to Olympique Marseille at the beginning of the 1989-90 season. Olympique Marseille Tigana joins Marseille in 1989 and stays with them until 1991. During his time with the Marsellais, the club won the League in two consecutive seasons and reaches the European Cup Final. They lose in the penalty shoot-out to Red Star Belgrade.

Tigana left OM at the end of the 1991 to prepare for his managerial career. Coaching Career Olympique Lyonnais In his first experience as trainer, Tigana joined Olympique Lyonnais for the 1993/94 and in his second season in charge took the club to second in the League Championship.

OL had stayed in the running until near the end with a team, which was considered to be the surprise of the tournament. Tigana also nurtured young talents, which have now become household names. Florian Maurice, Stephane Roche, Ludovic Giuly are some of the members of the team. Olympique Lyonnais also reached the final in the League Cup this season making it the best season in the club’s history. AS Monaco Tigana joins AS Monaco for the 1995/96 season. His first months are not the most comfortable as Monaco lose in the first round of the UEFA Cup to Leeds Utd. The team is knocked out of the French Cup in the third round and in the quarterfinals of the League Cup.

Nevertheless, after this bad start, the side accustoms itself to Jean’s ideas and finishes in incredible form, with just one defeat in the last 19 games of the season. The 1996/97 season sees the arrival of new players, John Collins, Martin Djetou or Philippe Leonard. In the League, after a slow start, Monaco took first spot and stayed there until the end of the season. In the UEFA Cup, Monaco reached the semi-finals only to fall to Inter Milan.

Monaco also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup. Other players of this team were Emmanuel Petit, Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet, Viktor Ikpeba, Barthez… AS Monaco are the League’s top scorers (averaging two goals per game) and are admired for their attacking style. AS Monaco started the 1997/98 with the great prize of the Champions League participation. Petit, Scifo, Blondeau, Grimandi and other leave the club and are replaced by other players such Ndoram, Pignol, Diawara, Carnot and Lefevre. The team falls in the quarterfinals of the French Cup, in the early rounds of the League Cup and reaches third in the League table at the end of the season. This achieved qualification for the UEFA Cup.

These results are greatly influenced by the club’s presence in the Champions League. Monaco was drawn in a group with Bayer Leverkusen, Sporting Lisbon and Lierse SK. Monaco won the group and went through to the quarter-finals. There, they meet Manchester United, one of the favorites. In a disappointing first leg, Monaco drew 0-0 at home. In the return game at Old Trafford, a David Trezeguet strike books Monaco’s place in the semi-final. Having exceeded all expectations, Monaco fall to Juventus in the semi-finals. Nevertheless, the club’s attacking and attractive football is praised domestically and internationally and the club’s trainer is linked with the vacant FFF job (Aime Jacquet had announced that he would leave after the World Cup in France.) The 1998/99 season cannot start on a better note. Adding to Monaco’s success in the Champions League the previous year, the team hosts now three World Cup winners. Barthez, Trezeguet and Henry fill stadiums around the country.

Tigana resigned and his successor finishes his work that season by reaching a UEFA Cup berth, just one point behind Lyon, third and with a Champions League berth.

Jean Tigana started his playing career with Toulon, in south Eastern France. Better known for its coast and port, the club was a modest outfit, which is currently in the lower divisions in French football. He joined Toulon in 1975 at the age of 20 and played for the seaside club until 1978.

The experience that he picked up at this level added to his natural skills and vision leads to a transfer to Olympique Lyonnais. Olympique Lyonnais Jean joined Olympique Lyonnais in 1978. Olympique Lyonnais’s decade had been good, with the highlight of having won the French Cup in 1973.

Nevertheless, the established players were getting older and the team needed to be revamped. Tigana was one of the players that came in.

The club’s financial situation was far from good and the club was forced to sell off good players. One of the first to leave was Lancombe, to Bordeaux. But the crisis was not over and the club also sees changes in coaches and changes in the presidency. In Tigana’s first year, the club just escaped relegation and Aime Jacquet (the trainer at the time) left at the end of the season. Jean left to join Girondins Bordeaux for FF2 million.

Girondins Bordeaux Tigana reached his peak as a player with Girondins Bordeaux with whom he reached heights, which he had never reached before. He joined the club from Lyon in 1981, for a then record fee of FF2million. A

t Bordeaux, he joined the likes of Giresse, Lancombe, Tresor and coach Aime Jacquet. From 1981 until his departure in 1989, Tigana was an instrumental figure in Bordeaux’s midfield. His first year with Bordeaux saw the club qualifying for the UEFA Cup. In 1983, the club was runner-up in the League Championship. In 1984, Girondins went one better and won the League Championship. In 1985, arguably one of the club’s better years, Bordeaux won the League Championship again and reached the semi-final of the European Cup.

Girondins lost in Turin 3-0 but nearly achieve the impossible, winning 2-0 at Lescure. Following the European Cup disappointment, the club started slowly in 1986. Nevertheless, they succeed in the French Cup, beating Marseille in the final after extra-time. 1987 Bordeaux reached the glorious double by winning the League in the last match of the season and the Cup by beating Marseille 2-0 in the final. The club also reaches the semi-finals of the Cup Winners Cup, falling to Lokomotiv Leipzig in the penalty shoot-out. Tigana moved to Olympique Marseille at the beginning of the 1989-90 season. Olympique Marseille Tigana joins Marseille in 1989 and stays with them until 1991. During his time with the Marsellais, the club won the League in two consecutive seasons and reaches the European Cup Final. They lose in the penalty shoot-out to Red Star Belgrade.

Tigana left OM at the end of the 1991 to prepare for his managerial career. Coaching Career Olympique Lyonnais In his first experience as trainer, Tigana joined Olympique Lyonnais for the 1993/94 and in his second season in charge took the club to second in the League Championship.

OL had stayed in the running until near the end with a team, which was considered to be the surprise of the tournament. Tigana also nurtured young talents, which have now become household names. Florian Maurice, Stephane Roche, Ludovic Giuly are some of the members of the team. Olympique Lyonnais also reached the final in the League Cup this season making it the best season in the club’s history. AS Monaco Tigana joins AS Monaco for the 1995/96 season. His first months are not the most comfortable as Monaco lose in the first round of the UEFA Cup to Leeds Utd. The team is knocked out of the French Cup in the third round and in the quarterfinals of the League Cup.

Nevertheless, after this bad start, the side accustoms itself to Jean’s ideas and finishes in incredible form, with just one defeat in the last 19 games of the season. The 1996/97 season sees the arrival of new players, John Collins, Martin Djetou or Philippe Leonard. In the League, after a slow start, Monaco took first spot and stayed there until the end of the season. In the UEFA Cup, Monaco reached the semi-finals only to fall to Inter Milan.

Monaco also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup. Other players of this team were Emmanuel Petit, Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet, Viktor Ikpeba, Barthez… AS Monaco are the League’s top scorers (averaging two goals per game) and are admired for their attacking style. AS Monaco started the 1997/98 with the great prize of the Champions League participation. Petit, Scifo, Blondeau, Grimandi and other leave the club and are replaced by other players such Ndoram, Pignol, Diawara, Carnot and Lefevre. The team falls in the quarterfinals of the French Cup, in the early rounds of the League Cup and reaches third in the League table at the end of the season. This achieved qualification for the UEFA Cup.

These results are greatly influenced by the club’s presence in the Champions League. Monaco was drawn in a group with Bayer Leverkusen, Sporting Lisbon and Lierse SK. Monaco won the group and went through to the quarter-finals. There, they meet Manchester United, one of the favorites. In a disappointing first leg, Monaco drew 0-0 at home. In the return game at Old Trafford, a David Trezeguet strike books Monaco’s place in the semi-final. Having exceeded all expectations, Monaco fall to Juventus in the semi-finals. Nevertheless, the club’s attacking and attractive football is praised domestically and internationally and the club’s trainer is linked with the vacant FFF job (Aime Jacquet had announced that he would leave after the World Cup in France.) The 1998/99 season cannot start on a better note. Adding to Monaco’s success in the Champions League the previous year, the team hosts now three World Cup winners. Barthez, Trezeguet and Henry fill stadiums around the country.

Tigana resigned and his successor finishes his work that season by reaching a UEFA Cup berth, just one point behind Lyon, third and with a Champions League berth.

are you writing a novel?

Last edited:
I'm writing "The life and times of Joe Royle... from something to nothing".

I’m surprised there haven’t been any reported sightings Of JT at Morrison’s

I saw him!!!! He had three packs of tooth picks and some smelly french cheese.

I am starting to feel like I did at Wembley against Swindon.

That day I went from the depths of despair to the hights of extasy and back again in about half an hour.

I only hope that I am not starting to get my hopes up for no reason, although something at the back of my mind is saying don't be so bloody stupid.

I am starting to feel like I did at Wembley against Swindon.

That day I went from the depths of despair to the hights of extasy and back again in about half an hour.

I only hope that I am not starting to get my hopes up for no reason, although something at the back of my mind is saying don't be so bloody stupid.

Not wanting to spoil your fun or anything but... erm... nothing's really happening. :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669