Joey Gudjonsson wants out of AZ and wants England return

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyJoey

Translated from Icelandic newspaper Fréttablaðið.

Johannes Karl wants out of AZ

Icelandic international Johannes Karl Gudjonsson wants to quit AZ Alkmaar and return to English football. AZ have given the player the green light on finding another club. “It’s certainly a disapointment,” he said.

Johannes Karl agreed to join AZ last winter when he was still on the books at Leicester. He had a succesful season last year so it should be fairlyt easy for the player to return to England.

“I think I should have little problem going back there and already few clubs in the English Championship have talked to me,” said Johannes Karl who is contracted to AZ until 2010.

“AZ have given me the green light to leave the club but the stumbling matter could be how my contract matters will be resolved. I still have 3 and a half year left of my contract and me and the club have to come to agreement on how that should be settled. There are many different things to look at.”

Joey is certain AZ will not stand in his way should the “right” club come along, like he says himself.

The dutch league is currently in the winterbreak and Johannes Karl is in Iceland with his family but he will return to training on January 10th. He says he is bitterly disapointed because he is on a very good longterm contract at AZ. Its obvious that AZ were buying him for the future but Louis van Gaal had quickly realised his style of play would not suit the team.

“The biggest disapointment is that I never got the opportunity to prove myself. I had two chances in the first team, once in my prefered position and once on the wing. After that I had no opportunity even though we had won the game. I just don’t get the manager at time. Maybe he just didn’t like me.”

At the start of the season he had no opportunities but later he managed to get himself into the matchday squad and then into the starting 11. However he was swiftly taken out of the squad in december.

“Everything seemed to be going right at that moment but then things got even worse than before.”

Johannes’s older brothers, Thordur and Bjarni, both returned to Iceland from professional football last year and started playing for IA Akranes. Johannes admits that he is still abroad for financial reasons. “If I could earn as much in Iceland as in England or Holland I’d be in Iceland right now. I think it is highly unlikely I’ll return to Iceland this year.” He says it is out of the question to consider playing lower than in the English Championship.

“I would rather sit on my arse in Holland and take my wages with no fuss than to play in League One where I would never get similar money. It also goes with other teams. Its also clear I would never have gone to Holland if not for the contract they offered me.”

http://www.visir.is/article/20070106/IDROTTIR01/101060008/-1/IDROTTIR

Translated from Icelandic newspaper Fréttablaðið.

Johannes Karl wants out of AZ

Icelandic international Johannes Karl Gudjonsson wants to quit AZ Alkmaar and return to English football. AZ have given the player the green light on finding another club. “It’s certainly a disapointment,” he said.

Johannes Karl agreed to join AZ last winter when he was still on the books at Leicester. He had a succesful season last year so it should be fairlyt easy for the player to return to England.

“I think I should have little problem going back there and already few clubs in the English Championship have talked to me,” said Johannes Karl who is contracted to AZ until 2010.

“AZ have given me the green light to leave the club but the stumbling matter could be how my contract matters will be resolved. I still have 3 and a half year left of my contract and me and the club have to come to agreement on how that should be settled. There are many different things to look at.”

Joey is certain AZ will not stand in his way should the “right” club come along, like he says himself.

The dutch league is currently in the winterbreak and Johannes Karl is in Iceland with his family but he will return to training on January 10th. He says he is bitterly disapointed because he is on a very good longterm contract at AZ. Its obvious that AZ were buying him for the future but Louis van Gaal had quickly realised his style of play would not suit the team.

“The biggest disapointment is that I never got the opportunity to prove myself. I had two chances in the first team, once in my prefered position and once on the wing. After that I had no opportunity even though we had won the game. I just don’t get the manager at time. Maybe he just didn’t like me.”

At the start of the season he had no opportunities but later he managed to get himself into the matchday squad and then into the starting 11. However he was swiftly taken out of the squad in december.

“Everything seemed to be going right at that moment but then things got even worse than before.”

Johannes’s older brothers, Thordur and Bjarni, both returned to Iceland from professional football last year and started playing for IA Akranes. Johannes admits that he is still abroad for financial reasons. “If I could earn as much in Iceland as in England or Holland I’d be in Iceland right now. I think it is highly unlikely I’ll return to Iceland this year.” He says it is out of the question to consider playing lower than in the English Championship.

“I would rather sit on my arse in Holland and take my wages with no fuss than to play in League One where I would never get similar money. It also goes with other teams. Its also clear I would never have gone to Holland if not for the contract they offered me.”

http://www.visir.is/article/20070106/IDROTTIR01/101060008/-1/IDROTTIR
do we really want him back if his only desire is money though

do we really want him back if his only desire is money though

No, he wasn't that good anyway, just was the pick of a very very poor bunch.

Although I do admire his honesty as he has probably just admitted to what motivates every other footballer really and that is MONEY.

Just because players want as much money as they can get though, doesn't mean that they don't care about how well they're doing. Just like everybody else in the world, they want to earn as much money as possible from their job. Difference with footballers is that they have a much shorter space of time to do this in. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy their job though.

I'd take Joey back, sounds as if it would be on a free.

Joey G would be the best addition to our side as it stands. However, as A-Z said above, he wasn't that good, he stood out for some of the spectacular things he did, plus he was very committed and passionate about his football, but mostly he wasn't very effective

I'd have him back tomorrow if MM wasn't looming, but I believe we should wait until MM goes through or fails.

Still would have him back though just to wake up the lazy bleeders that we currently have

Just because players want as much money as they can get though, doesn't mean that they don't care about how well they're doing. Just like everybody else in the world, they want to earn as much money as possible from their job. Difference with footballers is that they have a much shorter space of time to do this in. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy their job though.

I'd take Joey back, sounds as if it would be on a free.

Well said Graz. I personally would welcome Joey back with open arms. He was easiliy our best player last season and could score goals anything is better than the shower of s**t we have at the mo. Who would you rather have Andy Johnson or Joey Gudjonssen back i rest my case!!!!

Well said Graz. I personally would welcome Joey back with open arms. He was easiliy our best player last season and could score goals anything is better than the shower of s**t we have at the mo. Who would you rather have Andy Johnson or Joey Gudjonssen back i rest my case!!!!

neither!

Joey G would be the best addition to our side as it stands. However, as A-Z said above, he wasn't that good, he stood out for some of the spectacular things he did, plus he was very committed and passionate about his football, but mostly he wasn't very effective

I'd have him back tomorrow if MM wasn't looming, but I believe we should wait until MM goes through or fails.

Still would have him back though just to wake up the lazy bleeders that we currently have

i agree get him back ASAP :038: :038:

Would definitely be worth getting back, he is exactly what we have been missing this season, (bar a couple of decent wingers although Levi is looking a v.good prospect) a midfield player that links up the with the defenders and is also willing to provide an assistance to the attack. I would say box-to-box but frankly, he isn't no world beater. His personality is also what we are lacking this season, everyone on the pitch is quiet and Joey fires the players up. Another we are lacking this season that Joey would provide is goals from midfield he has scored some of the best goals that the Walkers Stadium has seen!! Need I go on anymore? Well I will, Joey is also a battling midfield player, apart from Tiatto, know one is willing to make a committed tackle, basically apart from Tiatto and a few of the defenders, we have a team of pansys! Also Joey is much better than Tiatto in the centre of midfield, I have always thought Tiatto would be better at left back, as he is quick, a tough tackler and could also provide a decent attacking support.

How anyone can say that they would not Joey back right now is beyond me! It would most likely be a loan deal anyway and if it works out, which I'm sure it would, make it permanent in the summer. He was our best player last season by a country mile and all the stuff I blabbered on about up there. Anyway thats it, me dinners burning!!

GET JOEY BACK NOW!!

I would love Joey to return to the walkers i think he proved how important he was to us last season, we put some good results together, and he was playing well (from what i saw of last season)

I'd second n third that decision of having him back here, but, i'm not entirely sure whether he'd want to come back, (1 step fwd, 2 step backs) but you never know!! :) he was and still would be an asset to the clun imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669