Confirmed Transfer Kasper Schmeichel to Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Goalkeeper and Club Captain Kasper Schmeichel will join Ligue 1 side OGC Nice, ending an 11-year association with the Football Club that sees him leave with his status firmly secured as one of the greatest players in Leicester City history.

The 35-year-old, who lifted the Premier League, FA Cup, Community Shield and Championship trophies after signing from Leeds United in 2011, joins the French side for an undisclosed fee, subject to international and league approval.

Schmeichel, who sits third in Leicester City’s all-time appearance list having played 479 times during 11 historic seasons for the Football Club, has been a key figure in the unprecedented period of success seen under King Power’s ownership.

The Danish international has been at the heart of countless memorable moments, including the Football Club’s Premier League title victory in 2015/16 and the Foxes’ maiden FA Cup win in 2020/21. His passion, leadership and consistency helped lay the foundations for a period of sustained success never before seen at Leicester City and will leave his name written proudly in the Club’s history books.

Leicester City Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Throughout his time with us and particularly as a captain and vice-captain, Kasper has always been a player willing to stand up and take responsibility, leading the team with distinction. His influence and his leadership on and off the pitch speak volumes about him as a professional, as a football player and as a human being.

“I know Leicester City supporters share the respect we all have for a player of Kasper’s standing after all his accomplishments as a footballer and captain and will join me in wishing him the very best for the next stage of his career in France with OGC Nice.

“It’s clear to everyone who has watched him perform that Kasper has given everything to Leicester City every time he has played and the experiences shared between him, the Club and our supporters over the last 11 years mean he will always remain a part of this family.”

Having joined from Leeds in 2011, Schmeichel’s presence in goal for the Club would prove to be one of the key building blocks for a side that would go on to stun the footballing world just a few years later, but his talent and abilities were already well known to all City fans.

His performances during the 2013/14 Championship title victory saw him named in the Team of the Season and subsequent Championship Team of the Decade, while his return from injury during Leicester’s first season in the Premier League in 2014/15 coincided with a remarkable turnaround in fortunes to ensure a survival famously remembered as ‘The Great Escape’.

Then came the 2015/16 season, which is widely known as the greatest team triumph in the history of sports as City marched to the Premier League title by an incredible margin of 10 points. Kasper’s influence during that campaign was an important part of the story and of Leicester’s success – big saves at key moments and quick-thinking distribution that fitted perfectly with the team’s counter attacking strengths.

From being an ever-present during that historic season, Schmeichel went on to make more history with the Club in their first-ever UEFA Champions League campaign in 2016/17. His heroics in goal no more evident than his key penalty save in the last-16 tie with Sevilla to help City make the quarter-finals against Atletico Madrid.

In addition to those unforgettable moments, Schmeichel again found himself at the heart of Leicester City history by leading the team out as captain for the 2021 FA Cup Final against Chelsea at Wembley. With City winning 1-0, his inexplicable save from Mason Mount late in the game was the moment many Leicester City fans believed they would see their team lift the cup.

Another Wembley triumph over Manchester City in the FA Community Shield followed a few months later for the Foxes, while Schmeichel also continued to help them make history in Europe. His key saves in important moments against PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA Conference League ensured the team booked a first-ever European semi-final date against Roma in May this year.

Kasper’s presence on the pitch over those years has long been an embodiment of the passion felt for the Football Club by its supporters, while his talent and achievements also mean he unquestionably stands among a handful of players who can be considered among Leicester City’s all-time greats.

He leaves Leicester City Football Club with the heartfelt gratitude of all his friends and colleagues after his incredible service along with their best wishes for the next chapter in his career with OGC Nice.

Good luck Kasper and thank you for the memories.

You were an incredible keeper for us and will go down in history as one of the immortals.

A true legend and from what I hear, gentleman.

Thank you.

Thank You Kasper and good luck.

He’s given us so many amazing memories. In return he’ll always be remembered as one of our best. Good luck Kasper, and thanks

Best goalkeeper in my lifetime and a vital part of our successes going back to the Championship.

Sure, there had to be a time for him to move on but I still feel he is far better than our remaining options and his departure could have been a lot better planned for and timed.

The only saving grace is he has gone abroad.

Absolute legend.

What an absolute legend and a fabulous role model. He has been a huge part of the incredible highs and the very sad lows. Thanks so much Kasper.

I go back as far as Wallington and Schmeichel is easily the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for City. Only Flowers comes close in terms of technical ability and the confidence he inspired.

A true legend of the club who has never done anything to tarnish his reputation with fans and colleagues alike. In his early days, I remember his massive goal kicks seeking Beckford out and his huge long throws out to the halfway line and beyond. As he matured, he became so reliable and consistent year in, year out.

He won the Championship with us, then the Premier League, then the FA Cup. We was there in the Champions League, the Europa League and the Conference League. He was first there at the helicopter crash and first to step in front of the cameras when the players had something to say.

It's genuinely gutting to see him go without having a proper opportunity to say goodbye. I hope we do that at some point. I guess it's true to say that every single one of us has watched Schmeichel play for Leicester more than any other player. The hole he will leave behind is massive.

Last season was his poorest for us. He seemed older, affected by the Denmark summer, and he became ever more safety first. I agree that this is the right time to make a change if the club have someone new lined up. Although I fear that getting a keeper with his presence will take a generation rather than a summer.

Thank you Kasper Schmeichel. I've loved watching you and I'm very proud to have been able to do so.

Had to happen one day. I’m glad it seems to have all happened on good terms. Never would have thought he’d have been here for so long, and play so many games. Never agitated for a move. All those wonderful saves and matches he kept us in. Sevilla and the Cup Final jump straight to mind, for me. Can genuinely be classed a club legend, no argument about it.

If only Chris Wood hadn’t stolen his goal in the promotion season.

I’ll never, ever forget that save in the FA Cup.

One of the best.

Captain, Champion, FA Cup Winner.

His role during the death and grieving of Vichai separates him from great player for the club to an iconic figure. For that alone he deserves enormous respect and admiration.

Probably our most important player during our greatest period as a club. Legend doesn’t begin to do him justice.

He deserves his 3 years in the South of France and a heroes welcome any time he’s within 50 yards of a Leicester fan.

Cheers Kasper, you were brilliant.

Thanks Kasper, not only for what you did on the pitch but also many other things, especially the night of the helicopter crash

Hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469