Keown

Status
Not open for further replies.

stripeyfox

According to BBC FiveLive, Leicester have transfer listed Martin Keown and told him he can leave the club, but deny he has been sacked for criticising the management

I heard Keown has been criticising MA and his tactics and causing unrest among some players. MA is concerned that some players may rise up against him and force him out. Personall I don't know what to make of the situation. We all know things have started badly when you consider the aspirations of all city fans for an automatic promotion slot. And to be honest Martin Keown has been one of the stronger players during the opening games so I think it's a shame he is leaving even though it's probably his last season playing competitively.

Whatever we think player unrest can destroy a club and this must not be allowed to happen at City. MA now needs to stand up and be counted, as supporters and paying public, we need to know whats going on. We have all questioned his tactics, the substitutions, signing Blake, playing Blake ahead of other strikers, discipline at the club etc. Maybe Keown has a point !!

Keeping the faith - just :?

Elliott, Taggart, Howey now Keown :shock:

If this is true then Micky is becoming very paranoid.

If only MA had the player management skills of Martin O'niell, he could use the experience of players like Howey and Keown to help the cause.
I am beginning to think that MA is fearful of criticism and right now is reacting in the way of a desperate man.

"martin keown has been brought to leicester to help out more with coaching side and his input will be valued"

martin keown has been released due to his opinions on tactics :shock:

I disagree, giving Keown the boot is a brave move and might just be the kick up the backside the other players need. MA will certainly be judged on our defensive performances after this, and it might even mean Heath and Elliott get more games. Elliott was class for Ipswich towards the end of last season, and there's no reason he can't do the same job for us 4 months later.
Big changes on Tuesday night, then this - MA might just have some balls. :?

Whatever has happened behind the scenes, the fact remains that Keown is a class player, has been one of our best and most consistent performers this season, and we will be a poorer team without him.

So, even if Keown has been rocking the boat and MA is 'doing the right thing', I'm not happy about the outcome...
:(

True, Martin Keown playing well and providing leadership would be an asset to any team, as long as the leadership doesn't undermine the boss.

Just another setback in a season which offered so much promise. Come on Micky... turn it around.

Bobby Smith said:
Elliott, Taggart, Howey now Keown :shock:

If this is true then Micky is becoming very paranoid.

There is certainly a pattern which suggests that Micky is unable to work with strong personalities.

He was fortunate with the fixture list to run into Gillingham on Tuesday who have lost 5 home games in a row - we should soon see how we stand when we meet slightly stronger sides over the next few weeks.

All fair comments but you cannot have someone beneath you on the clubs hierarchy undermining you. If I told my colleagues that I thought my boss was crap and undermined him then I'd expect to be transfer listed.

Club spokeman says: "With Matt Elliott returning to full fitness and the emergence of Richard Stearman, we now have a number of centre halves available to us and unfortunately are not in a position to guarantee Martin regular first-team football."

Obviously MA thought Elliot would be out for the year and thought that Stearman was a centre-forward when he signed Keown to a year's contract with coaching input.

Keown obviously is being shown the door because he's criticised MA... strange how Keown never got into trouble with management when at Arsenal

Howey and Taggart were no great loss. Keown could prove to be, only time will tell.

Whatever Micky said to the players after QPR did the job, lets just hope we've turned a corner now. Tough measures were needed.

Joe_Fox said:
All fair comments but you cannot have someone beneath you on the clubs hierarchy undermining you. If I told my colleagues that I thought my boss was crap and undermined him then I'd expect to be transfer listed.

When you off then JF? :wink:

at the end of the day micky can't let keown turn the team aginst hi, he has to show that he's there and what he says goes - he is the manager after all.

It's a brave thing to do and IMO the right thing to do.

He's sent out a stern warningto the rest of the squad "if you're not happy with the way i run things then f**k off"

Well done Micky - no player is bigger than their manager.

Joe_Fox said:
very true - Micky has simply done his duty.

keow may have been brought in to help with coaching but he should be telling micky adams what he thinks - not other players behid MA's back

Agreed you can't have one (or a few) players screwing up the team spirit, questioning manager's tactics publicly etc etc. And leaders - which MA is supposed to be - on occasion have to take tough decisions, so credit to him that he has dealt with this early.

However ...

My worry is how did MA let it get to this ? Its early in the season, everyone knows we have a bunch of players who barely even knew each other's names before we had dropped a hatful of points, and there's a senior figure with a ton of experience (who would also btw be an automatic first choice in my book) who is now out the door. Who else saw him organising the back line time and time again in the games that he's played this season? Sorry but Elliott isn't in the same league, pardon the pun. Everyone knows Keown is a 110% committed competitor, I would be very surprised if he didnt have very good reasons for ruffling feathers, at least it shows he cares. Unlike Dabizas, who usually looks like he needs waking up from a nap before the next corner / required clearance.

So, a shame even if it had to be done. More pressure on MA and the rest of the players to get it together and move on, and we / they certainly have enough pressure already without getting rid of someone who is still, even at 36 (?I think) a top quality player who would have done a great job for us this season. I hope MA reflects on what he could have done better as well, in the run up to this

Phil

Phil The Fox said:
Agreed you can't have one (or a few) players screwing up the team spirit, questioning manager's tactics publicly etc etc. And leaders - which MA is supposed to be - on occasion have to take tough decisions, so credit to him that he has dealt with this early.

However ...

My worry is how did MA let it get to this ? Its early in the season, everyone knows we have a bunch of players who barely even knew each other's names before we had dropped a hatful of points, and there's a senior figure with a ton of experience (who would also btw be an automatic first choice in my book) who is now out the door. Who else saw him organising the back line time and time again in the games that he's played this season? Sorry but Elliott isn't in the same league, pardon the pun. Everyone knows Keown is a 110% committed competitor, I would be very surprised if he didnt have very good reasons for ruffling feathers, at least it shows he cares. Unlike Dabizas, who usually looks like he needs waking up from a nap before the next corner / required clearance.

So, a shame even if it had to be done. More pressure on MA and the rest of the players to get it together and move on, and we / they certainly have enough pressure already without getting rid of someone who is still, even at 36 (?I think) a top quality player who would have done a great job for us this season. I hope MA reflects on what he could have done better as well, in the run up to this

Phil

You're right he's been class so far and is first choice CB

BUT.............................

If keown wasn't happy with the way MA was doing thing then surely he should have told him personally - not go behind his back and slag him off to other players.

The fact is - MA is his boss and yu cant go round screwing with your boss cos micky won't accept it - he did the same with Dennis Wise

if you ask me he was trying to get a few players on his side so he could eventually force MA out - leaving the managers job for him to inherit.

Billy Boy said:
Joe_Fox said:

When you off then JF? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

In the spring mate, in the spring.

I think we agree ... a shame but it probably had to be done in the circumstances. I just read that Mirror article in full and it sounds like there was a previous 'heart to heart' already.

Credit to MA for dealing with it relatively early in the season,not letting it fester and become a bigger issue.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570