Kevin Phillips Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27193835

Thanks for your brief stint, and please stay to pass on your wisdom! :038:

After 20 amazing years as a professional footballer, I've decided to announce my retirement.

I will play my final game for Leicester on Saturday, at our home ground, having won the Championship title - and that seems like the perfect way to bow out.

After scoring the winner to get Crystal Palace promoted at the end of last season there were a few voices in the back of my head saying 'maybe I should retire now'. But I decided to continue for another season for the chance to play in the Premier League as a 40-year-old.

I managed to do that earlier in this campaign - joining an exclusive group of three other players who have played in the Premier League as 40-year-olds - but now the time is right.

After a lot of consideration and time spent talking with my family, the Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and my agent, I think the time has come. I turn 41 in July and I just feel now, with sore ankles and the way my body is, it's not going to get any easier.

All my family will be at the King Power Stadium this weekend and it's going to be emotional. However, although it's going to be a strange feeling leaving the pitch for the final time as a player, now's the right time.

If I'm being honest, I wasn't tempted by one more go at the Premier League. Last year I kind of knew I was going to carry on but this year, no. I've been seriously thinking about it over the last four or five weeks and I think it's the right decision to make.

There are other opportunities, looking forward now, that I want to pursue and that's kind of made my mind up as well.

Plus, I don't particularly relish the idea of putting myself through another pre-season!

Future

So, what next? I hear a lot of stories about players finding it difficult when they hang up their boots but I'm hoping with the opportunities I've got in front of me I'll be kept pretty busy. I'm lucky in that respect.

The manager at Leicester has offered me a position in the coaching staff, with a role with the first team for next season, which I'd like to pursue. That should mean that this summer I'll be just as busy, if not busier, than the actual players on the training field!

I also want to continue my media career and take that to another level, as well, so these are exciting times for me.

You can't beat the buzz of match day, though: traveling to the ground, warming up on the pitch... that feeling is very special. Then, being a striker, there's nothing better than hitting the back of the net.

I'd love to do that one last time on Saturday. But if it doesn't happen then I've had many great memories during my career.

Now I'm moving onto the next stage.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...phillips-im-retiring-with-many-great-memories

Last edited:
Thread title could have been applied four months ago.....

He's still trying to grab all the glory for himself, the bastard, eh M17TT?

:icon_lol:

Yeah, we should stage a pitch invasion and crucify him in the centre circle after the match on Saturday, it's what he deserves!

Couple of weeks late with that and he's not the Messiah, he's just a...........

Past it glory stealing wanker but also am excellent addition to the coaching staff

:icon_lol:

Couple of weeks late with that and he's not the Messiah, he's just a...........

Past it glory stealing wanker but also am excellent addition to the coaching staff
Brian?

Is he taking it for granted he will be selected on Saturday?!

Happy with this news

Didn't want us to have him playing in the PL and am sure we wouldn't have done, but pleased that he'll be sticking around as a coach here.

Congratulations on a good career Kev

Both him and Conrad should play some part against Donny I reckon.

(Assuming Conrad is on his way).

Last edited:
Both him and Conrad should play some part against Donny I reckon.

(Assuming Conrad is on his way).

A mate who is a member at Birstall Golf club (Conrad is also a member there) says Conrad is telling people he won't get a new contract.

A mate who is a member at Birstall Golf club (Conrad is also a member there) says Conrad is telling people he won't get a new contract.

Baby on the way too. Job centre everyday for Conrad then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566