King Richard III

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Normally I avoid starting historical threads on this forum as I would avoid discussing Leicester City on Heritage of History forums. However, I feel that I should echo the Birch's call for signatures to the petition to keep Richard III in Leicester.

York has no real case. The "Plantagenet Alliance" claim to be descendants of Richard III.He had one son Edward of Middleham who died aged 12. The nearest relative descended from a sister is the Canadian who gave his DNA and he wants Richard III buried in Leicester. There is no evidence that Richard III wanted to be buried in York. As an anointed King he would have expected to be buried in Westminster Abbey. Contrary to popular belief Richard III was never Duke of York; he was Duke of Gloucester. Above all York showed no interest in Richard III until last summer[.

Leaving aside the economic benefits, the publicity and the agreement made by the Ministry of Justice with Leicester University we have a strong moral case. Leicester had adopted Richard III long before he was found]. There was a Richard III Boys School and a Richard III Girls School which merged into King Richard III Secondary School.
There is a King Richard III Infant School in Leicester.
There is a statue of Richard III in Castle Gardens.
There is a King Richard's Road.
There is a Richard III pub and a Last Plantagenet pub.

There is a link to the petition below.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39708

Living up in Yorkshire I'm fed up with the York lot bleating on about why he should be buried in York.
They were a bit disappointed recently with their own online petition it was said last week that the figures were a lot lower than what they expected. Each report on "Look North" in our house is usually greeted with me shouting "hands off our Dick" and "You're not having him".
York is already a tourist place and all they want is another "attraction" to add to what is already on offer.

All together now. To the Que Sera Sera tune

He's King Richard the Third the Third
He's staying with us of course
York can have the horse.
He's King Richard the Third

Last edited:
Leaving aside the economic benefits, the publicity and the agreement made by the Ministry of Justice with Leicester University we have a strong moral case. Leicester had adopted Richard III long before he was found]. There was a Richard III Boys School and a Richard III Girls School which merged into King Richard III Secondary School.

I went for a Richard III in Abbey park when I was caught short on my way home one night as well

Normally I avoid starting historical threads on this forum as I would avoid discussing Leicester City on Heritage of History forums. However, I feel that I should echo the Birch's call for signatures to the petition to keep Richard III in Leicester.

York has no real case. The "Plantagenet Alliance" claim to be descendants of Richard III.He had one son Edward of Middleham who died aged 12. The nearest relative descended from a sister is the Canadian who gave his DNA and he wants Richard III buried in Leicester. There is no evidence that Richard III wanted to be buried in York. As an anointed King he would have expected to be buried in Westminster Abbey. Contrary to popular belief Richard III was never Duke of York; he was Duke of Gloucester. Above all York showed no interest in Richard III until last summer[.

I'm not allowed to sign this since I'm a Johnny Foreigner

Last edited:
Normally I avoid starting historical threads on this forum as I would avoid discussing Leicester City on Heritage of History forums.

I'd love to know what the equivalent of observing our bench is on the HoH forum :icon_bigg

Previously it was felt that we had no need to sign the petition to keep Richard in Leicester as we had the Ministry of Justice licence on our side, as there will now be a judicial review, where the judge, mentions at that time it was granted, the fact that the petition for York had 26,553 signatures while the petition for Leicester only had 8,115.

York has now closed with 31,333 signatures, with 12 days left for the Leicester we are closing in on their figure, if it were to achieve more that the rival York petition that may help sway the judicial review.

sign away

For what reasons have people been signing this petition? Why do you think his remains should stay in Leicester? What claim does Leicester have over what's left of him and why do you want him to remain there?

For what reasons have people been signing this petition? Why do you think his remains should stay in Leicester? What claim does Leicester have over what's left of him and why do you want him to remain there?

I signed it because I think it will raise the Leicester's profile, and will be good for tourism, helping the city's economy.
Whether it's the "right" thing to do I have no idea, I'm just interested in the consequences.

Because he died only ten miles or so away, after which he was stripped naked, tied on the back of a horse and then marched back into the city after having a sword rammed up his jacksie. Then his ravaged body was thrown into the river

After all that, it's obvious that he should be buried here, in some crappy old church which we have decided to call a cathedral

It's what he would have wanted

Signed it ages ago, before he died in fact.

The agreement was always the he would be reinterred in the nearest church, which is par for the course. York has always maintained it wouldn't have room for him in the minster and he would have to go in one of the other churches.

It should not even be up for debate.

I couldn't give a rats ass where he is buried but since the license to dig for remains states they should be reburied in or around Leicester Cathedral it seems like that would be the sensible thing

I'm glad to see that the responses to my questions have been what I'd hoped people's reasoning would be, that is, purely economic.

I'd like to see him buried in The Last Plantaganet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670