Kolpaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Glyn, would prefer good young english players. However, i don't think there are many about that we can attract at the moment. We are in desperate need of some bowlers. I see Nick Walker has been allowed to leave now.

http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/articles/0/960.html

That leaves us with Malik, Kruger, Cummins and Allenby as pace bowlers. we desperately need to add 2 or 3 pace bowlers IMO.

I've been trying to put this into words for the last 20 minutes but cant seem to string a sentence together today, massive hangover!

I dont think BD signing up as a Kolpak is a bad thing neccesary. I think we need all the help we can get to avoid a totally dismal season, if that invovles another overseas player then so be it. The thing that worries me is that the club has had an awful track record of signing overseas players. I fear making BD a Kolpak will just be a waste when we recruit Mansoor for another season :068:

Kolpaks are only bad when they dont perform and take the place of talented young players. I'm more against Henderson whos done f all since he came here while we have a young decent spinner in Naik here.

There isn't a big difference between say Dippenaar and for arguments sake a potential resigning of Darren Maddy. Neither has any chance of playing for England. They are both of approx the same quality and will both score a decent amount of runs. The financial penalty wouldn't be that sigificant either because Dippenaar would be on less money than Maddy (strength of pound against the rand).

I think the fact that any promising young player we've produced recently has moved on has also changed my point of view. Is there really a big incentive to play young english players when they'll probably move at the first hint of a better offer.

I'm still anti Kolpak but I think the club is in such a sorry state that we have to take a few desperate measures.

I've been trying to put this into words for the last 20 minutes but cant seem to string a sentence together today, massive hangover!

I dont think BD signing up as a Kolpak is a bad thing neccesary. I think we need all the help we can get to avoid a totally dismal season, if that invovles another overseas player then so be it. The thing that worries me is that the club has had an awful track record of signing overseas players. I fear making BD a Kolpak will just be a waste when we recruit Mansoor for another season :068:

Kolpaks are only bad when they dont perform and take the place of talented young players. I'm more against Henderson whos done f all since he came here while we have a young decent spinner in Naik here.

There isn't a big difference between say Dippenaar and for arguments sake a potential resigning of Darren Maddy. Neither has any chance of playing for England. They are both of approx the same quality and will both score a decent amount of runs. The financial penalty wouldn't be that sigificant either because Dippenaar would be on less money than Maddy (strength of pound against the rand).

I think the fact that any promising young player we've produced recently has moved on has also changed my point of view. Is there really a big incentive to play young english players when they'll probably move at the first hint of a better offer.

I'm still anti Kolpak but I think the club is in such a sorry state that we have to take a few desperate measures.

A very logical argument. And I think my opinion is skewed by the fact that we have had so many non-English qualified players and have remained in an awful position, so why not give the youngsters a good run. But you are right, 3 or 4 decent overseas players would get us up there and challenging, which would help the confidence of any kids.

And you are absolutely right about the lack of incentive to nurture young talent. We don't get a thing for making Broad. In football, at least there is a rule that a transfer fee must be paid for under-24s even as a Bosman.

Registering Dippy as a Kolpak does free up an overseas birth but it doesn't free up the cash to sign up another quality oversea player???

Having said that would Jerome Taylor be an option???

although not another Koplak the second signing in a week, South African bowler Dillon Du Preez.
supposed to be a bit like Darren Gough according to Tim Boon

Last edited:
although not another Koplak the second signing in a week, South African bowler Dillon Du Preez.
supposed to be a bit like Darren Gough according to Tim Boon

according to the Beeb he is another Kolpak, but doesn't say that on the LCCC site. I can't remember who the two official overseas players are now!

Tim Boon:

“He is a ready replacement for David Masters, just short of extreme pace but very accurate and he can bat, having scored his maiden century this season. Dillon is a late developer and has just had his best season in South African cricket. I was impressed by his attitude during our conversation and I know he will be another role model cricketer.’

He added ‘That completes the bowling line-up for the coming season with an excellent battery of quick bowlers in Garnett Kruger, Jermaine Lawson and Dillon du Preez giving us the experience we need allowing the likes of Ryan Cummins, Nadeem Malik and Daniel Rowe to develop further.’

according to the Beeb he is another Kolpak, but doesn't say that on the LCCC site. I can't remember who the two official overseas players are now!

Boeta Dippenaar is one?

Last edited:
Boeta Dippenaar is one?

The Mockery was suggesting we could even get him as a Kolpak.

So we have Dippenaar (O)

and
Kruger
Lawson
Du Preez
Ackerman
Henderson

all Kolpaks.

And Jimmy Allenby is an Aussie!

Even I will admit it looks like a stronger squad though.

Last edited:
there is also Nadeem Malik who we got from Worcester

lol, I dont know what to make of this club anymore

It does pain me to have so many foreign players in our team. I would prefer more home grown players with perhaps a WI star all rounder thrown in to the mix :icon_razz but we're in a desperate plight (for a variety of reasons, not just our own failings) and we needed to act to be competitive this season. I think we've got a half decent first XI now with a real wicket taking threat. We can probably take 20 wickets of any club in D2 which means we're half way towards being a good side :)

I just hope the county understands that having so many Kolpaks is not sustainable. In 2 or 3 years time Ackerman, Henderson, Dippenaar, Kruger will all have probably retired. While I doubt Du Preez or Lawson will still be with us either. Nixon and Snape will have gone too. I just hope we're not setting ourselves up for a bigger fall when that time comes.

Who is going to open the batting with New?

There must be some more batsmen on the wat surely...

At the moment the team will look like this...

New
????
Dippy
Ackerman
Allenby
Nixon
Du Preez
Henderson
Kruger
Lawson
Malik

Who is going to open the batting with New?

There must be some more batsmen on the wat surely...

At the moment the team will look like this...

New
????
Dippy
Ackerman
Allenby
Nixon
Du Preez
Henderson
Kruger
Lawson
Malik

There must be, or I would really hope so.

Even in reserve we only have Boyce and Cobb.

James Taylor could be thrown in a the deep end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570