Lack of goals .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFKAKTF FOX

This current goalscoring crisis has IMO given me an insight into the tactical and managerial limitations of our current manager, now I am not saying we should sack Levein or that everything is going pear shaped, but I am beginning to have seeds of doubt sown as to whether Craig is capable of getting the maximum out of this squad of players.

IMO we have some very talented footballers at this football club, Stephen Hughes, Gareth Williams, Ryan Smith, Iain Hume, 4 players who are all capable of producing that little piece of quality to win a match, the problem is at present Levein seems unable to find the right formation / tactics to maximise their ability and potential.

These players have been stifled IMO, Smith burst onto the scene against Derby and appeared to be playing with a relative freedom, but his last 4 appearences he appears to be playing a little more under team orders and IMO he has not been as effective, as for Williams and Hughes both very good passers of a football, with great vision and an eye for a pass and yet when they are picked it is usually to play in a role that is more suited to a defensive midfielder, square pegs in round holes scenario, it has been no coincidence that neither player has had the impact many expected, I know Hughes has had injury problems but his form is nowhere near that of last season could that be down to the effect of the negative tactics employed by Levein and his coaching staff, where the emphasis is more placed on a defensive style of play. As for Hume why drop a player who has just scored his first imternational goal, his confidence would have been sky high and I am sure the adrenalin(sp) would have enabled him to at least complete an hour of the match.

Also whilst Tommy Wright may not be the answer, he is currently the only City striker scoring, so why not swallow a bit of pride and recall him and give him a run, it may not solve the problem, but sometimes especially with young players a run in a lower division can make all the difference, if it doesnt then at least it is another option looked at.

I would like to see Wright recalled and given a run of games with Hume that takes us up to the transfer window, if it works then great, it saves another panic buy in the transfer window, if it doesnt then Craig can still make his move and nothing is lost.

At the moment we are continually trotting out the same 4 strikers, playing the same old way and to be honest it is one dimensional. Both Dublin and MDV are too slow, they do not react to situations and opportunities quickly enough, MDV has at least scored 8 goals, but even that paints a false picture, he has scored in only 5 games, and 3 of those games he has scored a brace, it has come against the weaker opposition.

Come on Craig be brave, do not become too stubborn, that was your predecessors downfall, be prepared to move away from your defensive approach and dont ignore all options available to you.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
This current goalscoring crisis has IMO given me an insight into the tactical and managerial limitations of our current manager, now I am not saying we should sack Levein or that everything is going pear shaped, but I am beginning to have seeds of doubt sown as to whether Craig is capable of getting the maximum out of this squad of players.

IMO we have some very talented footballers at this football club, Stephen Hughes, Gareth Williams, Ryan Smith, Iain Hume, 4 players who are all capable of producing that little piece of quality to win a match, the problem is at present Levein seems unable to find the right formation / tactics to maximise their ability and potential.

These players have been stifled IMO, Smith burst onto the scene against Derby and appeared to be playing with a relative freedom, but his last 4 appearences he appears to be playing a little more under team orders and IMO he has not been as effective, as for Williams and Hughes both very good passers of a football, with great vision and an eye for a pass and yet when they are picked it is usually to play in a role that is more suited to a defensive midfielder, square pegs in round holes scenario, it has been no coincidence that neither player has had the impact many expected, I know Hughes has had injury problems but his form is nowhere near that of last season could that be down to the effect of the negative tactics employed by Levein and his coaching staff, where the emphasis is more placed on a defensive style of play. As for Hume why drop a player who has just scored his first imternational goal, his confidence would have been sky high and I am sure the adrenalin(sp) would have enabled him to at least complete an hour of the match.

Also whilst Tommy Wright may not be the answer, he is currently the only City striker scoring, so why not swallow a bit of pride and recall him and give him a run, it may not solve the problem, but sometimes especially with young players a run in a lower division can make all the difference, if it doesnt then at least it is another option looked at.

I would like to see Wright recalled and given a run of games with Hume that takes us up to the transfer window, if it works then great, it saves another panic buy in the transfer window, if it doesnt then Craig can still make his move and nothing is lost.

At the moment we are continually trotting out the same 4 strikers, playing the same old way and to be honest it is one dimensional. Both Dublin and MDV are too slow, they do not react to situations and opportunities quickly enough, MDV has at least scored 8 goals, but even that paints a false picture, he has scored in only 5 games, and 3 of those games he has scored a brace, it has come against the weaker opposition.

Come on Craig be brave, do not become too stubborn, that was your predecessors downfall, be prepared to move away from your defensive approach and dont ignore all options available to you.

Good stuff as usual PFKAKTF.I cannot see Tommy Wright ever playing for us again and will very surprised if he is recalled,people do seem to have short memories when he is concerned a lot of them stated he was and would never be good enough for this Standard.I still wouldn't drop MDV because he as at least scored 8 and to not play him seems a bit senseless.MDV and Hume is our only option until someone new comes in but at least give them 5-6 matches together before given the 'final decision' on them.Hammond should be stuck in the Reserves for 2 months and learn how to finish/shoot/score IMO and Dublin on the bench at best.As regards the midfield everybody I have asked have told me that Wesolowski looks the best 'Passer' of a ball at the Club,early to say perhaps but I await his return whilst not expecting miracles.At least the Defence seems settled now and like I said I expect progress to be very very slow but it is progress none the less.I think Williams may well be finished at the Club be that a good or bad thing I don't know but I'd prefer him to Sylla..

Great reply Highland, I am not saying Tommy Wright is the answer, but in the current climate it would be a worthwhile exercise to give the boy an opportunity at least until the transfer window reopens. As for De Vries I understand your sentiments, but I have seen quite a lot of MDV this season and IMO the goals he has scored diverts attention to the fact that he does not possess the all round game to be a truly effective striker at this level.

Akinbiyi was head and shoulders above MDV and Dion, and as much as I hate to say it, but he looked a constant threat and was always available as an outlet, at present we lack a striker capable of making any kind of impact on a match that Ade demonstrated yesterday.

As for Sylla the guy is a disgrace, he has no passion for the club and appears to be a luxury we can ill afford.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
As for De Vries I understand your sentiments, but I have seen quite a lot of MDV this season and IMO the goals he has scored diverts attention to the fact that he does not possess the all round game to be a truly effective striker at this level.

You may well be right but you can't hide the fact that he as at least scored 8 goals this Season,thats 2 more than Dublin as in his whole career at Leicester.Until finance allows us otherwise I think it's a matter of finding someone to play alongside him be that Hume or A new face.In the long run though I agree we need a complete new duo upfront IF Hume doesn't prove up to it and I think some people have already judged him which just isn't fair in the time he's been allowed to play.
I honestly believe we haven't had a Striker who possesses the 'necessary' since we lost Dickov.

Last edited:
I actually think that the tactics dont help MDV though, in the short term until the window opens I would like to see MDV employed as a central striker with Hume and Smith or Hammond operating either side in a 3 man attack as I have stated in numerous team selection guesses in previous threads, I would then operate with a 3 man midfield consisting of Joey, Kisnorbo until Weso is fit and Hughes as the man pulling the strings. I would then like to see Tommy Wright recalled as back up to MDV and increase our attacking options, as IMO Dublin is finished as a striker and should only be used as cover for the centre halves.

I would like to see Levein give this a go until the transfer window and then reassess his options if required. But we need to do something different because it is obvious that the current line up and tactics is not bearing fruit.

Last edited:
We do need some firepower urgently but the problem is unfortunately much bigger.
CLs tactics are really poor,unimaginative and extremely negative. The strikers are not Championship(even) standard but to be fair there is little or no sevice.
And for CL to say after the game "we played pretty well" beggars belief.

De Vries record is fine currently its the players around him that are not getting the same result's. Elvis for me has been a big failure, I wouldnt be bothered so much if he was still a loanee we could ship back in jan but now we have been fooled into buying him. Hume has got potential and I think he should be partnering de vries until jan, but I think the reason why hume isnt living to expectations is because he is used to playing just behind the strikers not as a main striker. Dublin I think doesnt cut it and he should either be a sub option or at the back. Tommy wright I think should be given a chance but manager's dont often like been proven wrong so I can't see him been recalled at the moment, it may also be the case due to the loan agreement we are unable to recall him.

fairbanksh said:
We do need some firepower urgently but the problem is unfortunately much bigger.
CLs tactics are really poor,unimaginative and extremely negative. The strikers are not Championship(even) standard but to be fair there is little or no sevice.

We had 58% possession v Burnley and 19 goal attempts vs Burnley's 7 - so I guess the strikers need to tak the blame, it's not like we are not creating chances is it?

fairbanksh said:

Shame nobody took it upon themselves to mention all these problems before Burnley yesterday...I wonder why.

highland fox said:
Shame nobody took it upon themselves to mention all these problems before Burnley yesterday...I wonder why.
I've been saying we are shite for years now...

I tend to agree witht the tactics stiffling the players slightly. The players we have dont quite seem to fit with CLs big plans for taking us somewhere, this could be down to the fact that he has a tight budget at best. Maybe it is time for him to play to the players we have rather than the players/playing styles he wants to see at the club.

As far as the striking "problem" we have, im still not particularly concerned. However my blind faith in Hume is quickly running out to be honest. Maybe recalling wright is an option, but IMO it is not the right option for us at the moment. I have seen quite a bit of him but dont really rate him. As has been said before on here, his name leads many fans opinions of him.

To be perfectly honest I dont really know what the answer is and If I did id be where Mr CL is and not sitting here typing an essay about how I dont know what the answer to our lack of goals is, maybe getting a few from midfield?

Anyways im gonna shut up now. Lets hope its sort it out by next sunday and im sitting here toasting a few points on the board.

Anybody got any names as regards to a decent realistic loan signing ?:102: :102:
I thought of Todorov don't know if he's getting a game down there but hes proven at this level and needs the games.

somebody mentioned Nemeth, but middlesborough are a little short up front with a couple out at the mo so unlikely to get him.

How about Trundle on loan with a view to perminate move if he makes the step up? Unfortunately he would be a bit of a gamble, again.

fcukcov said:
somebody mentioned Nemeth, but middlesborough are a little short up front with a couple out at the mo so unlikely to get him.

How about Trundle on loan with a view to perminate move if he makes the step up? Unfortunately he would be a bit of a gamble, again.

You wouldn't get Trundle on loan.It was me who mentioned Nemeth but someone said wages would be a problem even on loan.He played this afternoon for them I think he came on as Sub.

yeh he did. seemed to turn them round. they were 1-0 down till he came on I think, I was asleep on the sofa for most of the game!

fcukcov said:
yeh he did. seemed to turn them round. they were 1-0 down till he came on I think, I was asleep on the sofa for most of the game!

Helguson came on for Fulham,he'd be alright for us.

dont think we stand much chance of getting anyone who is coming on for a premiership club at the mo.

fcukcov said:
dont think we stand much chance of getting anyone who is coming on for a premiership club at the mo.

He was only Sub because Boa Morte was suspended though.

fcukcov said:

I like the idea of a player like Trundle coming here, but i have the feeling he's happy at Swansea and next season it won't be a step up for him because we may well be playing against him.( in the championship of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669