Laptop on planes (Continental)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

Maybe Drew can help or anyone else who has flown to the US recently. I am hoping to take my laptop with me when I go over next week and would prefer to take it on the plane with me.I have heard I will need to turn it on when I go through security if it is in my hand luggage, is that all they do or will I be quized etc?

Also are there plug sockets/charging points on the plane or is that too much to ask in Economy?!

Maybe Drew can help or anyone else who has flown to the US recently. I am hoping to take my laptop with me when I go over next week and would prefer to take it on the plane with me.I have heard I will need to turn it on when I go through security if it is in my hand luggage, is that all they do or will I be quized etc?

Also are there plug sockets/charging points on the plane or is that too much to ask in Economy?!
try this site

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-seat_laptop_power.php

I have a laptop rucksack, you have to place it on its own in a tray before it goes through the scanner. No need to turn it on or even open it.

Where are you flying from? What's is the flight number, I'll see what equipment you're on as it depends whether you have AVOD and a power outlet, which will be a normal socket. Remember not to leave the power supply on the plane like i did last week!

Don't forget to sign up to the onepass FF program, you may as well collect the miles, you can pass them on to me if you have no intention of using them :)

and dont forget to apply for your visa thingy (esta?) online :)

Last edited:

Or a pen to fill in the immigration docs like i do every bloody time! The stewards can be a bit surly sometimes if you ask to borrow their pens.

However you get a pen in the business class pack so that's saved me the last couple of times :icon_bigg

I have a laptop rucksack, you have to place it on its own in a tray before it goes through the scanner. No need to turn it on or even open it.

Where are you flying from? What's is the flight number, I'll see what equipment you're on as it depends whether you have AVOD and a power outlet, which will be a normal socket. Remember not to leave the power supply on the plane like i did last week!

Don't forget to sign up to the onepass FF program, you may as well collect the miles, you can pass them on to me if you have no intention of using them :)

Flight CO0113 with Continental, I believe I'm on a 757, so should have a normal supply.

I have a laptop rucksack as well so should be fine.

Already made sure I did this!

Or a pen to fill in the immigration docs like i do every bloody time! The stewards can be a bit surly sometimes if you ask to borrow their pens.

However you get a pen in the business class pack so that's saved me the last couple of times :icon_bigg

I was told you couldn't do this anymore as the last few times I have been the states I filled in a green slip. I was told the ESTA had replaced them and I wouldn't be given the option!

No, you still fill in the green immigration form and the white customs form.

Lee, when you travel back and forth to the states as much as i have in the last two years you start to get perks, one of them is upgrades with miles + co-pay.

Matt, http://pda.continental.com is handy for checking on the status of flights. Last time i was Heathrow three weeks ago the screens were down so had no way to find out easily the status of my flight, it was delayed 90mins as well. I just took advantage of the free booze in the Holideck and checked my phone every so often.

No, you still fill in the green immigration form and the white customs form.

Lee, when you travel back and forth to the states as much as i have in the last two years you start to get perks, one of them is upgrades with miles + co-pay.

Matt, http://pda.continental.com is handy for checking on the status of flights. Last time i was Heathrow three weeks ago the screens were down so had no way to find out easily the status of my flight, it was delayed 90mins as well. I just took advantage of the free booze in the Holideck and checked my phone every so often.

Excellent cheers, page is now bookmarked on my phone.

I was told you couldn't do this anymore as the last few times I have been the states I filled in a green slip. I was told the ESTA had replaced them and I wouldn't be given the option!

They told me that the ESTA should have replaced them but the USA immigration computer system is still not working properly and so you still have to fill them in.

Are you going on to anywhere else Matt?

Just checked the flight status with www.flightstats.com and it looks like the flight is often late. I wasn't sure if you were staying in the New York area, or hopping straight on to another flight?

That website also confirms the plane as a 757.

Most of the CO flights out of LHR are late, it's a pain in the ass! They don't give themselves enough time to turn around the incoming planes.

So yea Matt, if you have a connection you might need to run!

They told me that the ESTA should have replaced them but the USA immigration computer system is still not working properly and so you still have to fill them in.
I went to NY a few weeks ago and submitted my details on the ESTA website, but still had to complete a green card, so that sounds about right!

Are you going on to anywhere else Matt?

Just checked the flight status with www.flightstats.com and it looks like the flight is often late. I wasn't sure if you were staying in the New York area, or hopping straight on to another flight?

That website also confirms the plane as a 757.

Most of the CO flights out of LHR are late, it's a pain in the ass! They don't give themselves enough time to turn around the incoming planes.

So yea Matt, if you have a connection you might need to run!

Balls. I arrive at 14:20 (if on time) and get a connection to Philadelphia at 16:10, hopefully won't be too late.

Ouch, that is tight as you need to allow at least 35-40mins for immigration as well. Continental are pretty strict too, at T15 they start to use standbys. Are there any more flights to Philly on that day?

Balls. I arrive at 14:20 (if on time) and get a connection to Philadelphia at 16:10, hopefully won't be too late.

I presume you've gona via NYC for a reason?

US Airways have a direct flight to Philadelphia!

Ouch, that is tight as you need to allow at least 35-40mins for immigration as well. Continental are pretty strict too, at T15 they start to use standbys. Are there any more flights to Philly on that day?

With Continental there looks like another flight at 9.20pm.

Do I need to go through immigration for connecting flights? I thought they only bothered at the terminus?

No idea, I'll need to check.

I presume you've gona via NYC for a reason?

US Airways have a direct flight to Philadelphia!

Cost simply, it was about £100 cheaper according to STA Travel

With Continental there looks like another flight at 9.20pm.

Apparantly if it is Continental's fault that I miss my flight they should put me on the next one at no cost, though how that works if the other flight is full I have no idea.

Do I need to go through immigration for connecting flights? I thought they only bothered at the terminus?

No idea, I'll need to check.

Cost simply, it was about £100 cheaper according to STA Travel

Apparantly if it is Continental's fault that I miss my flight they should put me on the next one at no cost, though how that works if the other flight is full I have no idea.

They will put you on the next available flight. A full flight is not available.

It might also depend on you having chosen realistically connecting flights too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46