Laptop on planes (Continental)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will put you on the next available flight. A full flight is not available.

It might also depend on you having chosen realistically connecting flights too.

I was informed by my travel agent, so hopefully they aren't complete tools.

If I miss it will I be able to get my baggage and just leave as though I flew to NY? My friend lives an hour from Philly and and hour from NY so he could pick me up from there if needed.

Nope you go through immigration when you set foot in the US.

Continental will put you on the next flight however its unlikely they will ever admit fault.

Looks like the PHL flight is a Bombardier Q200 which is small, you should get a seat on that later flight but don't hold me to it.

If you are delayed make sure that they confirm a seat, not just put you on standby. I was on standby for 4 flights Xmas eve 2009, that was not a nice experience!

And sign up to Onepass! :)

Do I need to go through immigration for connecting flights? I thought they only bothered at the terminus?

No idea, I'll need to check.

Cost simply, it was about £100 cheaper according to STA Travel

Apparantly if it is Continental's fault that I miss my flight they should put me on the next one at no cost, though how that works if the other flight is full I have no idea.

I went to Nashville in Nov 2008 via Washington Dulles. We had left 3 hours between our flights, and this was only just enough. We landed on time.

On arrival in to Dulles, we had our full immigration check done and collected our suitcase. We then had to go through another security check (bags through scanners etc) before taking our bags to the drop off point. This took approx 2hrs 20 mins. Washington Dulles is split up in to several buildings, and you have to get these army type vehicles to ship you around. I'm not sure how easy Newark is to get around?

Was there a reason you used an agent? I'd never been to America when I booked my flights, but I found the airlines sites easy enough to use. Also most of the sites have a 'multi-city' link on the booking screen, where you can add a via for very little extra. I think back then I paid £420 return from LHR to IAD via BNA. The agents certainly offered me no benefits to book with them.

Nope you go through immigration when you set foot in the US.

Continental will put you on the next flight however its unlikely they will ever admit fault.

Looks like the PHL flight is a Bombardier Q200 which is small, you should get a seat on that later flight but don't hold me to it.

If you are delayed make sure that they confirm a seat, not just put you on standby. I was on standby for 4 flights Xmas eve 2009, that was not a nice experience!

And sign up to Onepass! :)

Registered cheers. I think I'll phone Continental later and ask them what the deal is.

Lee, when you travel back and forth to the states as much as i have in the last two years you start to get perks, one of them is upgrades with miles + co-pay.
Tell me about it; Mr H has travelled so much over the years, I don't think we've paid for a flight to the US for ages. Unfortunately, I've never been upgraded. Mr H has had offers to upgrade when I've been with him, but it's the one seat, not two. Grr.

Yea i had to pass on an upgrade last october due to being with the missus! I prefer to use my miles for upgrades as it means i can keep my gold status. It's nice passing the huge queues at Heathrow with the flash of my card :D

Tell me about it; Mr H has travelled so much over the years, I don't think we've paid for a flight to the US for ages. Unfortunately, I've never been upgraded. Mr H has had offers to upgrade when I've been with him, but it's the one seat, not two. Grr.

They upgraded all 6 (!!) of us last year from Seattle to Heathrow. Very nice.

I went to Nashville in Nov 2008 via Washington Dulles. We had left 3 hours between our flights, and this was only just enough. We landed on time.

On arrival in to Dulles, we had our full immigration check done and collected our suitcase. We then had to go through another security check (bags through scanners etc) before taking our bags to the drop off point. This took approx 2hrs 20 mins. Washington Dulles is split up in to several buildings, and you have to get these army type vehicles to ship you around. I'm not sure how easy Newark is to get around?

Was there a reason you used an agent? I'd never been to America when I booked my flights, but I found the airlines sites easy enough to use. Also most of the sites have a 'multi-city' link on the booking screen, where you can add a via for very little extra. I think back then I paid £420 return from LHR to IAD via BNA. The agents certainly offered me no benefits to book with them.

Only just noticed this post.

Basically I went through STA Travel, I normally use Independant America but they were more expensive. I thought the idea was that because I have a connecting flight with Continental then my bags would transfer automatically to the new plane.

I once flew to Detroit with a stop over in Amsterdam, with KLM and basically I got off the plan at Amsterdam airport, ran through it and got on another plane on to Detroit, never saw my bags. Has it changed?

Only just noticed this post.

Basically I went through STA Travel, I normally use Independant America but they were more expensive. I thought the idea was that because I have a connecting flight with Continental then my bags would transfer automatically to the new plane.

You will need to recheck your bags and go through customs, only the return leg is automatically checked for you.

You will need to recheck your bags and go through customs, only the return leg is automatically checked for you.

It must have changed then, this was definately outward bound, however the change was in Amsterdam not on US soil so that might make the difference.

I'm coming back from America in June with Continental from Las Vegas, but the connection time in Huston airport is only 30mins!!

I knew this was ridiculous at the time so phoned them to confirm they were linked flights, which they apparently are. I've been promised that if we don't make it they'll put us up in a hotel for the night, but based on this thread I'm thinking that's a near certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46