Lazzers Good/Bad Food Guide for Leicestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me a restaurant which does true Vegan food (not oh I thought it was vegan) in Leicester/Leicestershire. Meeting up with my sister in Leicester for lunch tomorrow - she's the vegan I'd have liked a nice Lamb shank.

I'm sure most places will do a side salad with a few leaves in it.

Try the World Peace Cafe by the Cathedral. It's a Buddhist Centre and the cafe is manned by volunteers, so it may be pot luck in some respects - it's also Veggy rather than Vegan, but things like falafel burgers and bean stews are vegan aren't they? Added bonus is that their FB page is offering a Developing a Clear Mind course on Saturday morning - a Buddhist BOGOF, by the sound of it.

Reactions: FIF
Thanks guys.

Not living in Leicestershire I rarely feel the need to read this thread and I don't think I have ever even contributed a single post to it. However we have spent the last fortnight boating around the Leicester Ring and one particular meal stood out from the rest. We were exploring the town centre in Loughborough when we came across the Berber shop. Having been to Marrakesh a couple of times we were exchanging stories with the owner when Mrs Boc asked him if there was a Moroccan restaurant in the town. He told her that there wasn't but that a Middle Eastern café/restaurant, run by a Syrian couple, just around the corner served some Moroccan food.

Just at that moment the Mrs of the Syrian couple was passing the shop; he dragged her in and introduced us. It only seemed right after that for us to pop around into Market Street to TARBOUSH. We hadn't realised that a 'tarboush' or 'tarboosh' is what we would call a fez - a red fez. By chance we were at our local Folk and Ale Festival a couple of weeks ago and were there entertained by the Fabulous Fezheads (amongst others) and even more by chance Mrs Boc was right here in Loughborough, wearing the band's T-shirt with a red fez now displayed across her adequate frontage. That was enough to ensure us a warm welcome and attentive service.

The restaurant is comprised of a relatively small inside space alongside a large tented outside area. As I remember it, they had Moroccan, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese and Syrian items on the menu and probably others too. Starters were served meze-style and we followed it with a Syrian mixed grill. Including drinks we paid about £45 for the two of us. Well worth it, not just for the food, but for the fun of finding something different. Smokers and vapers might also want to try the fruit flavoured Shisha pipes; we declined the offer.

Anyone ever been to Sapori in Anstey?

Excellent cuisine. Often have lunch there with the prix fixe menu great value - the marinated salmon with apple sorbet is real fine dining. It's modern Italian with "British" and local ingredients. Only drawback for me is the wine list which is well chosen with obscure Italian whites and reds that I can't resist and bumps the price up. A fair amount of Ranieri memorabilia on show to boot, gets the bottom lip trembling after a few, too.

Not living in Leicestershire I rarely feel the need to read this thread and I don't think I have ever even contributed a single post to it. However we have spent the last fortnight boating around the Leicester Ring and one particular meal stood out from the rest. We were exploring the town centre in Loughborough when we came across the Berber shop. Having been to Marrakesh a couple of times we were exchanging stories with the owner when Mrs Boc asked him if there was a Moroccan restaurant in the town. He told her that there wasn't but that a Middle Eastern café/restaurant, run by a Syrian couple, just around the corner served some Moroccan food.

Just at that moment the Mrs of the Syrian couple was passing the shop; he dragged her in and introduced us. It only seemed right after that for us to pop around into Market Street to TARBOUSH. We hadn't realised that a 'tarboush' or 'tarboosh' is what we would call a fez - a red fez. By chance we were at our local Folk and Ale Festival a couple of weeks ago and were there entertained by the Fabulous Fezheads (amongst others) and even more by chance Mrs Boc was right here in Loughborough, wearing the band's T-shirt with a red fez now displayed across her adequate frontage. That was enough to ensure us a warm welcome and attentive service.

The restaurant is comprised of a relatively small inside space alongside a large tented outside area. As I remember it, they had Moroccan, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese and Syrian items on the menu and probably others too. Starters were served meze-style and we followed it with a Syrian mixed grill. Including drinks we paid about £45 for the two of us. Well worth it, not just for the food, but for the fun of finding something different. Smokers and vapers might also want to try the fruit flavoured Shisha pipes; we declined the offer.

Excellent.

We went here for my birthday last year.

Great food and a bit different to the norm.

Lovely roast and a few pints of Vixen from Charnwood Brewery at the Tap and Run in Upper Broughton near Melton. Stuart Broad owns it as well as the Three Crowns in Wymeswold, nice ‘gastro’ pub.

Lovely roast and a few pints of Vixen from Charnwood Brewery at the Tap and Run in Upper Broughton near Melton. Stuart Broad owns it as well as the Three Crowns in Wymeswold, nice ‘gastro’ pub.
I was at the Three Crowns last weekend :023:

I was at the Three Crowns last weekend :023:
We moved out of Asfordby and into Melton a couple of weeks ago. Maybe next time I’ll convince her to move to my hometown of Loughborough!

Where’s nice to eat round here?

We went to Nice Pie a couple of weeks ago, very overrated.

We moved out of Asfordby and into Melton a couple of weeks ago. Maybe next time I’ll convince her to move to my hometown of Loughborough!

Where’s nice to eat round here?

We went to Nice Pie a couple of weeks ago, very overrated.
You’re better off in the villages.

The Berkeley Arms in Wymondam is my favourite.

The Finch’s Arms in Harlaxton and The Olive Branch in Clipsham are really good, if you drive a bit further.

Amore is pretty good in town though and near to the Boat and Anne of Cleves, for a pint before/afterwards.

I lived in Loughborough for 3 years, as I went to Uni there. Whereabouts are you in Melton?

You’re better off in the villages.

The Berkeley Arms in Wymondam is my favourite.

The Finch’s Arms in Harlaxton and The Olive Branch in Clipsham are really good, if you drive a bit further.

Amore is pretty good in town though and near to the Boat and Anne of Cleves, for a pint before/afterwards.

I lived in Loughborough for 3 years, as I went to Uni there. Whereabouts are you in Melton?
Off Redwood near the country park, great for the dog. Plenty of house for the money we paid but their are some sketchy types round here.

Thanks for the suggestions we’ll definitely try those out. I liked Amore when we went earlier this year, they went to the effort of making my other half something she’d had the previous times she’d been and was no longer on the menu. Got broken into the other night apparently and had all their booze nicked....

Off Redwood near the country park, great for the dog. Plenty of house for the money we paid but their are some sketchy types round here.

Thanks for the suggestions we’ll definitely try those out. I liked Amore when we went earlier this year, they went to the effort of making my other half something she’d had the previous times she’d been and was no longer on the menu. Got broken into the other night apparently and had all their booze nicked....
My In-Laws live on Redwood, so I know that area pretty well, although I’m the other side of town, just over the river.

There’s sketchy types in all towns, sadly, which I’m sure you know from Loughborough too. It just feels different when it’s not “your” town. I used to live in central Nottingham for a couple of years, so it all feels pretty sedate, by comparison!

My In-Laws live on Redwood, so I know that area pretty well, although I’m the other side of town, just over the river.

There’s sketchy types in all towns, sadly, which I’m sure you know from Loughborough too. It just feels different when it’s not “your” town. I used to live in central Nottingham for a couple of years, so it all feels pretty sedate, by comparison!
I know exactly what you mean, I’ll get used to it. Not city centre but I lived in Netherfield for a bit and wow.

I know exactly what you mean, I’ll get used to it. Not city centre but I lived in Netherfield for a bit and wow.
Ha. I lived right in the centre and played football for what is now Carlton Town (used to be Sneinton FC). Their ground is just past Netherfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757