Speculation Lee Congerton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky

According to the Athletic he is close to leaving Leicester and joining Atalanta.

Signings under Congerton include:

Justin, Perez, Tielemans (only the permanent deal), Praet, Bennett, Castagne, Fofana, Under, Daka, Soumare, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Lookman

I think we can say 6 of those have been good deals with the jury still out on a young Soumare.

Also, thankfully Bennett, Under and Lookman were only loan deals.

I thought Atalanta’s whole thing was having really good recruitment?

Yeah, but who recruits the recruiters......

Justin, Perez, Tielemans (only the permanent deal), Praet, Bennett, Castagne, Fofana, Under, Daka, Soumare, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Lookman

I think we can say 6 of those have been good deals with the jury still out on a young Soumare.

I’m struggling to count 6 good deals from your list to be honest.

How many of those were targets before he came?

Justin, Tielemans, Castagne, Fofana… I still make it four confirmed successes.
I thought Atalanta’s whole thing was having really good recruitment?
So was ours until around May 2019

Justin, Tielemans, Castagne, Fofana, Daka have been fantastic additions and would get into pretty much every matchday squad in the league save for Man City.
Perez, Soumare and Praet all fall in to the £10-20m premier leauge squad player bracket (Perez wasn't £30m down) and as such are always going to be 'squad' players for a top 6 side - and that is exactly what they are.
That leaves really only Bertrand and Vestegaard as his Turkeys and the loan signings as an indictment of not being able to identify a right winger or sign Tarkwoski.

All in all, Congerton has a 50% gold strike rate on permanent signings
30% juries out or 'haven't exceeded expectatiosn'.
20% outright failures.

If you compare that to most clubs who aren't Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea then it's pretty favourable. I'd say it's better than Man Utd (how long have you got), Spurs (Lo Celso, Gil, Ndombele, Aurier, Sanchez, Bergwijn), Everton (Tosun, Mena, Gomes, Bernard, Siguurdson, Rondon) who have blown way more than Congerton on shite, and behind West Ham (Coufal, Soucek, Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals, Zouma, Fabianski) and Arsenal (Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Tavares, Odegaard) who have struck gold repeatedly in the last 12 months.

Having said that about West Ham and Arsenal they have also had MASSIVE layouts on turkeys such as Haller (£45m), Pepe £70m), Saliba (£27m), Auba's contract etc etc which get brushed under the carpet in a way that we would never get away with at Leicester given the scale of the transfer fees.

Tielemans was already here when Congerton joined.

I'd only give him Justin and Fofana.

Castagne is a good player but I maintain that we didn't need another right back, we needed a left back.

Daka might be good. Too early to tell. The rest all look poor.

I will be delighted to see the back of the useless waste of space.

Last edited:
Tielemans was already here when Congerton joined.

I'd only give him Justin and Fofana.

Castagne is a good player but I maintain that we didn't need another right back, we needed a left back.

Daka might be good. Too early to tell. The rest all look poor.

I will be delighted to see the back of the useless waste of space.
Yeah, I begrudge giving him Tielemans since he was here already, but he was here when we got it over the line. Just.

I certainly wouldn’t give him Perez; rate him or not, he’s a squad player. Daka and Soumaré, too early. I’d say Castagne is a success though.

Congerton has consistently shown that he's only capable of scouting and buying a hit rate of perhaps 40%.

Does anyone here believe he has the nous to find the next Kante, Vardy or Mahrez? Do we piss. We're better off without him, and more than likely Brendan would be as well - one less person to tell him he's amazing and ride the coat-tails.

For Vestergaard, Bertrand, Lookman and (possibly) Soumare he should have been booted out on his arse anyway. And Perez FFS.

He's part of the reason this season has mainly been complete shite

11th May 2019 he was appointed head of senior team recruitment.

Tielemans joined on Loan Jan 2019 so I’m not letting him claim that.
Justin was June 2019 so would’ve been scouted before May 19 as well. He’s not having that one either.
Preat was August 19. I’d say he was likely scouted before May 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566