Post Match Leeds 1 - 0 Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home form has been fantastic this season, but away form is letting us down unfortunately. Just need to learn how to how grind out a few 1-0s away from home.

I'll echo what others have said about us accumulating too many defeats. Six is quite a high number at this stage of the season for any team with ambitions of automatic promotion.

If memory serves me correctly, it's the same number that we lost all season when we went up as champions in 1971.

We weren't at the races today, that's as poor as we've played all season. No Idea what Schlupp was thinking, what a howler. Futacs must start on Saturday if Nugent isn't fit, whilst I think Vardy is a decent player he looks miles off the pace currently.

I think he's been broken in too quickly, we could do with easing him in like Reading did with LeFondre.

Edit: Vardy that is.

Last edited:
I'll echo what others have said about us accumulating too many defeats. Six is quite a high number at this stage of the season for any team with ambitions of automatic promotion. We look a play off side but probably no better than that. The addition of a reliable goalscorer could change that but if they were easy to come by every side would be well stocked with them.

'

Spot on - difficult to sign such players and no certainty that they would deliver. In pre-historc times we had such a goal scorer who by sheer scoring power could win us those difficult games even when we were being generally outplayed ......and he still had a lot of critics!

Awful performance, made worse by the fans around me arguing and trying to get each other removed from the ground "He hit me officer etc etc...",

Home fans almost silent except for a 20 minute long Gary Speed chant in the first half.

Horrible dirty cheats, Paddy Kenny taking 5 minutes to take any set piece, even Peltier, who had been given a polite reception by most of our fans resorted to kicking the ball away and generally swan diving and writhing around, must be something in the water.

Most pissed off by the ball boys deliberately taking an age to return us the ball towards the end, one of whom even waved at the home crowd when they applauded him for his actions, little shit...

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly, it's the same number that we lost all season when we went up as champions in 1971.

If memory serves me right, when we pipped Fulham to third place and promotion in '83 we had a striker we'd just plucked from non league football, whom went on to play a starring role.

I'll echo what others have said about us accumulating too many defeats. Six is quite a high number at this stage of the season for any team with ambitions of automatic promotion.

I agree in principle, although I will point out that, after 19 matches last season, Reading had had 6 defeats and had 6 fewer points than we currently have (27 compared to our current 33). This may well mean nothing but I thought it was interesting (even if no-one else does).

To be fair, there is no (reasonable) disputing that progress has been made this season in terms of points accumulation. We are a work in progress and Pearson has done better in squad building than I for one was keen to give him credit for. Difficult to say how much more progress can be made this season with the resources he has - much depends on luck and injuries. I thought we would finish about 8th so a play off place would be pleasing. Don't think we are good/ consistent enough to get automatic promotion and if we are promoted I fear we would be in for a right mauling in the Premier League unless he was able to substantially strengthen the squad - which is more difficult than just having the money available.

As soon as I tuned in and found out that we had given away a penalty in the first few minutes I knew we'd get nothing from the game..

Second game in 3 days, Tuesday night, tough ground, main goalscorer missing, against a side in a false position who have just strengthened with 2 Premiership loan signings, heads drop after early penalty.

City don't win games like that.

To be fair, there is no (reasonable) disputing that progress has been made this season in terms of points accumulation. We are a work in progress and Pearson has done better in squad building than I for one was keen to give him credit for. Difficult to say how much more progress can be made this season with the resources he has - much depends on luck and injuries. I thought we would finish about 8th so a play off place would be pleasing. Don't think we are good/ consistent enough to get automatic promotion and if we are promoted I fear we would be in for a right mauling in the Premier League unless he was able to substantially strengthen the squad - which is more difficult than just having the money available.

I don't think we'd get mauled in the EPL.

I think with those resources we'd get in a good 2-3 players that would tighten the problems.

Plus we'd be out of this HORRIBLE league where nobody follows the betting odds!

I think he's been broken in too quickly, we could do with easing him in like Reading did with LeFondre.

Edit: Vardy that is.

I've said this from the beginning. It's unfair on him to expect him to make the jump so quickly and he's coming from a lower level than Le Fondre did. This looks like it was one of my main reasons that Beckford was also loaned out, so that Vardy could start every game. It's not worked so far and we sounded pretty ineffective up top last night.

The commentator on Sky Sports pretty much said that Waghorn wasted a glorious opportunity when he was practically one on and one and didn't even get a shot off because he let the defence get back at him by trying to shift it onto his other foot and taking too much time. I accept that Beckford won't be back, it's annoying but it's happened. Seeing as we're going dow this route, we now need to find a strong replacement for him to shoulder some of the burden that's been heaped on Waghorn and Vardy when they come in. We also need to start giving Futacs some game time.

I don't think we'd get mauled in the EPL.

I think with those resources we'd get in a good 2-3 players that would tighten the problems.

Plus we'd be out of this HORRIBLE league where nobody follows the betting odds!

Dunno what you mean. I've made a lot of money out of the Championship this season including a treble last night.

We're still only 5 points off the top and Cardiff are sure to stumble at some point (because it's them, and because it's very rare someone leads the Championship all season and wins it). We're not a million miles away.
Relentless. Here's hoping that we have as easy a ride against Sheff Wed this weekend as most of their opponents recently, and M&M sacks yet another manager.

if we are promoted I fear we would be in for a right mauling in the Premier League unless he was able to substantially strengthen the squad - which is more difficult than just having the money available.

Every club needs to improve their playing staff after promotion it goes without saying.

West Ham made 14 summer signings, Reading made 8 and Southampton made 9.

Pointless pointing that out now.

Every club needs to improve their playing staff after promotion it goes without saying.

I'm glad you've said this Hazz, I get the feeling some people think we aren't allowed to sign anyone should we ever get promoted.

Last edited:

Yoy are clearly missing the point.

Yes Reading and Southampton have made lots of signings - everyone knows that.

The point I was trying to make was that if promoted you need to up the quality of the squad with players who will make a real difference. The two clubs you mention have failed to do that and the reason is - it's very difficult to attract the sort of player you need as a promoted club because such players are usually sniffy about a potential relegation battle. However, this is the sort of problem that managers are well paid to address.

The point I was trying to make was that if promoted you need to up the quality of the squad with players who will make a real difference. The two clubs you mention have failed to do that and the reason is - it's very difficult to attract the sort of player you need as a promoted club because such players are usually sniffy about a potential relegation battle. However, this is the sort of problem that managers are well paid to address.

But they aren't getting 'a right mauling' though Redditch. You'd surely concede that maybe that's why people might pick you up on your post? I do agree it would be a difficult task to survive, but I'd rather we had the chance to try it and its not realistic to judge our squad now on their ability to stay in the PL, as Hazz correctly suggests it's not likely to resemble out team should we ever get promoted anyway.

I have previously said on here what you mentioned about convicing players to join teams in relegation battles.

My point was that every team, every season faces the same problem and it's not going to go away. Regardless of season a club gets promoted (whether it be this or five years time), the dilemma remains the same. So by your reckoning, we'd be mauled if we went up in five years time...let alone this season. To add, it's very unrealistic when the team would be completely changed.

NB. Southampton will push on now. 17th and three unbeaten after a very unlucky run of fixtures at the start of the season. They only have Chelsea out of the current ''Big Four'' to play this side of Christmas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670