Leeds match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I read this right the linesman ruled offside then changed his mind before the ref seen it?

Couldnt the club contest this if on camera, and at least get the linesmen disciplined or something, this kind of thing where officials get away with murder frustrates me.

beaumontfox said:
dont think there is anything the club can do tbh.

thought that lino was crap throughout the match anyway!!

i wouldn't have blamed Paddy if he had socked him one..but then he might've been in a bit more trouble...:081:
I heard CL had said the same thing.

beaumontfox said:
i agree with Webbo!

thought we played well. we passed it about nicely and i think a draw would've been a fair result.

as for Paddy's sending off...whilst he was a total plank for carrying on mouthing off after being booked and i don't blame the ref for giving him the red card, i can prefectly understand how angry Paddy(and Maybury) were about the lino cos he had his flag UP for offside for at least 5 seconds(not long but long enough!!) before dropping it.

yes he deserves to be fined cos he's going to miss the next couple of matches but it's great to see him show that much passion!!

A couple of very interesting points here. You're the first one to say that Paddy got booked before getting sent off - and that is the way that I saw it too, even though nobody agreed with me after the game and all the media reports also say it was a straight red. It will be interesting to know what the ref's report says because it will make a difference to the punishment.

You also make the point that the asst did have his flag up but put it down. I didn't see that and there are no reports of it anywhere. If this is so, it still doesn't excuse Paddy's behaviour but it does make it a little more understandable. It also gives reason for a genuine complaint from the club about the refereeing of the match.

Agree with you (and Webbo) about everything else. OK not to worry about not coming away from somewhere like Leeds without a point, but we now need to start winning the points that we should be winning - and it looks as though we can!

Chrysalis said:
So if I read this right the linesman ruled offside then changed his mind before the ref seen it?

Couldnt the club contest this if on camera, and at least get the linesmen disciplined or something, this kind of thing where officials get away with murder frustrates me.

There is a referee's assessor at each game, who if he noticed a raised flag will have made note of it. Each team gives the refereeing team an 'assessment' mark at the end of each game - this would be lcfc's opportunity of making their feelings known.

If the flag was raised and lowered as Beaumont suggests (and the TV *does* show that the goal was offside) it will go down as a black mark against that linesman. Not something he's going to get fined for; not something he's going to get sacked for (unless it has happened more than once or twice); but something that will definitely delay his promotion through the ranks. Nothing that will help us get a point from the game though.

yeah he defo got booked first....i was screaming at him to keep his bloody gob shut after getting it(like he'd hear me from where our fans were!!)

i wasn't the only one to see the lino put his flag up,Ben did and my mate nick and the lads sitting behind us(we were right at the back next to the separating wall between us and Leeds fans)

and we made sure we stuck around long enough to check the replay on the big screen......cheating gits.....

beaumontfox said:
yeah he defo got booked first....

That's what I thought. I was sure that the ref showed him a Y when Paddy was walking a way from the linesman. Paddy then said soemthing else to the ref as he he passed him which resulted in the sending off.

Any idea whether the second card was a straight R or a Y/R?

Last edited:
bocadillo said:
That's what I thought. I was sure that the ref showed him a Y when Paddy was walking a way from the linesman. Paddy then said soemthing else to the ref as he he passed him which resulted in the sending off.

Any idea whether the second card was a straight R or a Y/R?

On the Championship this morning he got a yellow first the another and was of course sent off. :icon_sad: ;)

Steven said:
On the Championship this morning he got a yellow first the another and was of course sent off. :icon_sad: ;)

Can I just be clear on that - you say he was sent off for two yellows? This would make a difference to his suspension.

A player who is dismissed for receiving a second caution in the same match is automatically suspended for one game. What I failed to remember earlier however is that a player who has previously been suspended (or sent off) during the season has to serve an additional one match. This applies in Paddy's case, so he will definitely miss Stoke and Crewe, but may also miss Millwall if it was a straight red (whether after a yellow or not).

bocadillo said:
Can I just be clear on that - you say he was sent off for two yellows? This would make a difference to his suspension.

A player who is dismissed for receiving a second caution in the same match is automatically suspended for one game. What I failed to remember earlier however is that a player who has previously been suspended (or sent off) during the season has to serve an additional one match. This applies in Paddy's case, so he will definitely miss Stoke and Crewe, but may also miss Millwall if it was a straight red (whether after a yellow or not).

Yes it was two yellows.

Steven said:
Yes it was two yellows.

Which means that the referee saw it just as dissent - and that Paddy used no offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures!

Does anybody who saw it actually believe that?

The fact that it was two yellows does however bring one other factor into play - namely 'the Beckham decision'. You will recall that in the case of our international captain's second sending-off of the season for two yellow cards, it was ruled that the dissent was one continuing incident of dissent and that therefore only one card should have been shown. I don't think anybody could claim that Paddy had calmed at all between the first card and the second, so presumably it too was a single incident of dissent and the second card was not warranted.

I think Paddy should appeal - the precedent has been set. Or does that only apply to international captains?

bocadillo said:
Which means that the referee saw it just as dissent - and that Paddy used no offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures!

Does anybody who saw it actually believe that?

The fact that it was two yellows does however bring one other factor into play - namely 'the Beckham decision'. You will recall that in the case of our international captain's second sending-off of the season for two yellow cards, it was ruled that the dissent was one continuing incident of dissent and that therefore only one card should have been shown. I don't think anybody could claim that Paddy had calmed at all between the first card and the second, so presumably it too was a single incident of dissent and the second card was not warranted.

I think Paddy should appeal - the precedent has been set. Or does that only apply to international captains?

Nice idea. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ;) However Paddy went back for a second go and so sadly I would it was two bouts of dissent rather than one long bout of dissent. :icon_cry:

bocadillo said:

if it was the same treatment for all, a certain england captain would have ensured a boot in the face of an oponent is just brushed under his dirty geordie carpet

McCarthy said "Oi Ref, You Blind Cnut" and said to the Linesman "You need to buy some fookin' glasses you twat".

Fair comments IMO.

Just thought I'd say it was a cracking game & neither team deserved to lose. However, as has been pointed out earlier, at least we gave it a go for the whole match, and that makes it a little bit easier to take ( even tho' their second was offside, and lead to Paddy having " words " with the lino ).

webmaster said:
It was more like our performance last week than most games this season. We passed the ball well, kept it on the ground and had a lot of good possession and plenty of shots. It certainly wasn't crap.
Their second goal was offside - if they hadn't scored then McCarthy would have stayed on the pitch and we'd have had a good chance of winning the game, even after he went off we could have got a draw.

I listened to Radio Leeds after the match, their commentators and lots of callers said we were the best footballing team to play there this season. They said it was the best football Leeds had played at home this season, but they still weren't as good as us. And this is a team in third place.
Playing good football in an entertaining game doesn't guarantee results, but I'd rather we went to places like Leeds and played good football in an attempt to win the game (which we could have done), rather than go looking for a 0-0.

I also listened to Radio Leeds and can back up what Webbo is saying, however, it makes it even more frustrating when you here Leicester getting all the plaudits and still losing. We are heading in the right direction though. The Hume Hammond Smith attacking force seems to have injected much needed pace and movement to our front line. I would happily suggest that if we continue to perform like we have done against Leeds and Sheff Utd then we will start to pick up wins on a more frequent basis and who knows - maybe a little run could get us into contention for the coveted play-offs.

thought we played well unlucky not to get a draw which would have been a fairer result im sure mccarthy got 2 yellows (i frigging hate it when players get booked for gobbing off the ref/lino arent going to change their minds so shut up and get on with it :icon_evil ) does anyone know if it was mccarthy who smacked a header onto the crossbar then came off a leeds players head which could have gone anywhere in the first half the jammy gits

Yorkshire Vixen said:
does anyone know if it was mccarthy who smacked a header onto the crossbar then came off a leeds players head which could have gone anywhere in the first half the jammy gits
Yes, it was McCarthy, hit the bar, came down, bounced off the goalies bonce and over for a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00