Pre Match Leeds v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referee: Andre Marriner.
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Richard West.
Fourth official: Robert Jones.
VAR: Lee Mason.
Assistant VAR: Simon Bennett.

I don't think we've got the personnel to do the same job as we did against Arsenal and we don't have the same opposition. Bamford won't beat even Wes for pace if we sit with a relatively low line.
They don't have Kalvin Phillips available as their central defensive midfielder so i would get Iheanacho in as number10 pinning his replacement in and keeping him busy. And id have Barnes and Vardy on the break with Maddison tucked in on the right hand side.
Praet is good but will give legs later, and Under will be useful later to.

Schmeichel
Justin Fofana Evans Fuchs
Mendy Tielemans
Maddison Iheanacho Barnes
Vardy

Bielsa likes to set his teams up to have one more central defender than his opponents have strikers, so I think it'd be smart to pick a side flexible enough to go between a 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 midgame to keep them disoriented.
Something like
Schmeichel
James Evans Forfana Fuchs
Tielemans Mendy
Ihenacho Maddison Barnes
Vardy​
to become
Schmeichel
Albrighton Evans Forfana Fuchs James
Tielemans Mendy Maddison
Vardy Barnes​
Unless they are both injured, Ihenacho in ahead of Praet or Under is ridiculous.

Kasper

Justin
Evans/Morgan
Fofana
Fuchs

Mendy
Praet
Tielemans

Maddison
Barnes
Vardy

Expect Tielemans, Fuchs and Maddison to get subbed.

The other alternative is Albrighton comes in, we play a back 3 and Tielemans gets a rest.

In the PL so far this season, we have played a back three on three occasions and a back four on three occasions. Therefore, I was interested to note the differences between the two systems given that we've had a back three for 283 mins (Man City, West Ham and Arsenal) and a back four for 280 mins (WBA. Burnley and Villa).

Back 3 - a total of 17 shots and 6 goals for and 42 shots and 5 goals against.
Back 4 - a total of 39 shots and 7 goals for and 33 shots and 3 goals against.

The most notable thing here for me is how we've 'got away with' a back three from an offensive perspective. We have an extraordinary and unsustainable conversion rate. My two generalisations so far are:

1. Over a sustained period, we are likely to score a lot more goals with a back four.
2. We tend to play a back three against sides when we don't expect to dominate possession.

Leeds will play a back four. They've managed 85 shots in 6 games (12 goals) and they are a very proactive and high tempo side. So it seems highly likely that we'll play a back three and look to absorb pressure and break on them. Especially considering our ridiculous schedule and the fact that we have two more games in six days after the Leeds match. Do we really want an end to end match? I think not. We want to keep the energy expended down. Again, that has to mean a back three.

We will want a game very much like the one at Arsenal so I expect to see the same formation and approach as we had there and hope to 'get away with it' one more time.

Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Fuchs
Albrighton Mendy Tielemans Justin
Praet Barnes
Vardy

Subs: Ward, Morgan, Thomas, Choudhury, Maddison, Iheanacho, Under

MATCH FACTS​

Head-to-head

• This is the first Premier League fixture between Leeds and Leicester since the 2003-04 season, in which both sides were relegated.
  • Leicester have lost just two of the past 13 league meetings, winning five and drawing six.

Leeds United

• Leeds have won 15 of their past 20 league matches, drawing two and losing three.
  • Only Brighton and Tottenham had conceded more league goals from set-pieces than Leeds' five prior to the latest round of matches.
  • Since Marcelo Bielsa took charge in August 2018, only Liverpool and Manchester City have won more league matches in England's top four divisions than Leeds' 57.
  • They have only kept one clean sheet in 20 Premier League home matches.
  • Patrick Bamford has scored six goals in Leeds' first six league matches this season - a feat only Eric Cantona in 1992-93 had previously managed for the club in the Premier League.

Leicester City

• Leicester are looking to win five of their opening seven top-flight games in a season for the first time in their history.
  • They could equal the club top-flight record of four consecutive away victories.
  • However, the Foxes have never won a Premier League away match on a Monday, drawing three and losing nine.
  • Eleven of Leicester's 13 Premier League goals this season have come in the second half.
  • Jamie Vardy's last eight Premier League goals have all come away from home, including all six this season.
  • Vardy has scored 12 goals in his past 15 Premier League appearances against newly-promoted teams.

Really enjoyed it when Nuge scored the winner then when we got promoted. We were crap if I remember correctly but snatched it, knew we were on our way up after that.

Really enjoyed it when Nuge scored the winner then when we got promoted. We were crap if I remember correctly but snatched it, knew we were on our way up after that.

My favourite goal against Leeds was Steve Howard. 89th minute bullet header from a corner.

Does anyone remember when we used to score from corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757