Post Match Leicester 0 Reading 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the fuzzy haired singer? We created space on the right but Pantsil is not Kyle Naughton we had no pace against Cov or Reading lacked any purpose going forward, tactics wrong defended well at Cov but we do need to support Nugent quicker from midfield but the players yesterday were to defensive and a quick forward is required

Can you and 'alli' get together? Between the both of you there could possibly be an intelligible post with some correct punctuation in it.....

This is some of the reaction from the Reading forum.

Man Friday

I thought the Andre Bikey lookalike was immense. The only Leicester player I would want in my team, on this performance

Upper West Ginger

That would be Bamba. He and Schmeichel were Leicester's only stand-out players today. Bamba was playing up front for the last 10 minutes as Leicester chased the equaliser - so he is like Bikey in that respect too. He really was a class above everybody else in their team

Reading Fan

many passes from the Leicester ranks would have been good had they been on the same wavelength
Proof once more, that this is a team, not the group of expensively assembled individuals Leicester fielded today

Mills had a very poor game, clearly unnerved by the somewhat hostile reaction afforded him by the Reading fans, he was obviously looking for reasons to stick it back to us. Numerous passes to us, Beast turned him inside out a few times, and several of the trade mark cross field passes overhit. This was not the Matt Mills that captained us to near glory last season, this was the very poor, very rattled Mills of the QPR middle finger salute match, and certainly not a player worthy of a £5m price tag. A shame really, as I did like him when he played for us, but on today's evidence, we're better off rid

Manny 96

Great chants there. Not convinced by the argument that it's just because Leicester haven't gelled yet as a reason for winning - they still have quality there and a little spark is sometimes all it can take in this league, especially after what sounded like a fairly tight first half. We're an organised outfit and that takes some beating by anyone.

Tomrfcurz

bought the league"

Try winning a home game first. Arrogance of Leicester and the majority of their players i thought was plain to see. They seem sure they'll be promoted but judging by yesterday's game, they aren't even a team of individuals yet alone a good, tight-knit side. Was disappointed by their performance but take nothing away from us. Manset, Kebe and Karacan i thought really made their defence work. Without Bamba they wouldv'e been in serious trouble IMO

Big Foot

"we're Leicester City and we've bought the league"

LOL

To clarify, the chant from L1 was "we're BUYING the league". I took it as a dig at all those slating us for our spending, not as arrogance that we will win the league.

they aren't even a team of individuals yet alone a good, tight-knit side.

This one made me chuckle David. So, we aren't a team, we aren't 11 individual players on the pitch... What are we then?

Maybe I shouldn't be so facetious :icon_wink

To clarify, the chant from L1 was "we're BUYING the league". I took it as a dig at all those slating us for our spending, not as arrogance that we will win the league.

Knowing a lot of our 'fans' like I do I took it as arrogance myself!

Poor start and whilst it is very early, the signs of what might be needed to change straight away were there on Saturday. Although the team has not had time to gel yet, we still saw some new players do well, so we could draw some conclusions about those who did not do so well...

Everyone's talking about the attack and yet to me having been to the game what seemed evident in my view was a greater immediate priority is an urgent need to get the midfield balance right. Admittedly Mills was a liability in defence but hopefully this is just a temporary phenomenon. (If not, SGE will have to act fast). I thought Fernandez in midfield looked the part and should be an automatic first team choice as indeed he appears to be in SGE's mind. I thought some TB'ers comments about Wellens were wrong, though not everyone's criticised him, & I thought he did quite well and looked capable of sparking something creative off. The 2 guys in real danger of losing their places in favour of a team that is better balanced in my aremind Abi and Dans. Whilst Abi may well have been jet lagged, I think Fernandez can play the mopping up role in the middle of the park. Dans is capable of that role too so I think either both or at least one of Abe/Dans must go. Most importantly because...

I thought King looked good when he came on and should be reinstated. I also thought that Gallagher has been very unlucky to lose his place - he was coming into the best form of his career last season and looked like one of our best if not the best players, especially when some of the rest of them lost a touch of form in the latter half of the season. The other player that could command a place, perhaps as an alternative to Gallagher, is Dyer.

Some assessment of individuals:

Schmeichel 7 - did fine, though it could well be the case that his shouting at the team is getting on their nerves and perhaps contributing to Mills' nervy start
Pantsil - 6 - thought he did ok, don't agree with some criticism of him.
Mills - 3 - attrocious, abysmal, terrible... you come up with a critical adjective and it wont be undeserved. He has to become good very quickly or he's out.
Bamba - 7.5 - good
Konchesky - 7 - did well going forward, esp in first half when no-one else was creating anything, and reasonably ok in defence.
Wellens - 6.5 - tried hard and had some good ideas. Admittedly a pass or two didn't get there but he was the source of some creativity & should be given another chance
Abe - 3 - many poor passes and lost the ball as well
Fernandes - 7.5 - looks the part. will be a key player. I'd build the midfield around him.
Danns - 5 - huffed and puffed and ran around, but no great contribution. Flatters to deceive. Needs to make way for King
Nugent - 6 - thought he did more than ok and with a better midfield or a winger perhaps he'd have got an extra chance and put it away. Was unlucky not to score in this game anyway.
Schlupp - 4 - stuck out wide and against tough opposition without a balanced or creative midfield he made little or not impact at all
Subs:
King - 6 - looked good enough to start.
Waghorn - 4 - I'm afraid his time is up here as a player asap.
Gallagher - desperately unlucky not to be in the team and if we don't play Dyer/winger I would like to see him reinstated. He can also always nick one from a free kick.

Last edited:
This result is not good enough, to have any chance of promotion we need to be winning the majority of our Home matches, Eriksson do not make a habit of this. :-|

This result is not good enough, to have any chance of promotion we need to be winning the majority of our Home matches, Eriksson do not make a habit of this. :-|

I we win the next two home games we will be on track then.

To me we looked like a team that has yet to get to know each other. 1st half passing was awful, options were few and ideas just plain wrong. 2nd half a little better but we looked blunt. I doubt if Pantsil knows everyone's name yet and did not Abi play 30 minutes in Sapporo for Japan mid week, with all the travelling across datalines that entails? Takes me a few days to recover after a 4 hour drive from Cornwall? If we had a game plan nobody seemed to know which bit was their responsibility. Highly frustrating for fans, Sven and I would think the team too.

:bang: How many ****ing times?!

You mean the ugly stuff that Blackpool played under Holloway, that Norwich played under Lambert, that Burnley played under Coyle, that Swansea played under Rodgers, that West Brom played under RDM?

Why do people continue to maintain you need to play ugly football or have a "plan B" to get out of this division, when it's been proven wrong by so many of the promoted sides over the past 3 or 4 seasons?

i didnt say you have to play ugly all of the time to get out of this league. you need to be able to play 'ugly' when the situation demands it and all those teams you listed did just that on occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669