Post Match Leicester 2 Coventry 1

opening game of the season which was a local Derby, against a team that narrowly missed out on promotion and are playing probably the biggest team in the league ( yes that us and we will have to own it).
Covscum were clearly up for it and they should have scored 4 (that is difference between the championship and the Premiere league), in the end we had too much quality especially coming off the bench and it showed.
as I have stated before we should win our first 5 games and then I think it is Southampton? let's see what happens, glass is defo half full.

Of our next 4 league opponents (Huddersfield, Rotherham, Cardiff, Hull) only Cardiff got as much as a point this weekend.

Good chance to get off to a strong start.

Happy with the result but can’t help feeling we got away with that one a little bit. Coventry will be wondering how on earth they didn’t get at least a draw.

If we continue to play with that defensive setup we’ll concede a lot, not every team will finish as poorly as Coventry. We’ll score a lot as well. It won’t be boring that’s for sure.

I still question Vestergaard on the pitch, a centre back playing left back when we have two Premier League level left backs on the bench, a right back playing central midfield half the match, a defensive midfielder playing as an attacking midfielder…but hey what do I know?

In Enzo we trust (as long as he drops Vestergaard).
Enzo is clearly committed to following the Pep mantra of wanting every player to be comfortable playing in any position. Can he turn Vestergaard into a John Stones clone?

Enzo is clearly committed to following the Pep mantra of wanting every player to be comfortable playing in any position. Can he turn Vestergaard into a John Stones clone?
It was Ricardo playing the Stones role today.

Overall, it was what I expected to see. System came before logic with obviously better players sitting on the bench. Maresca seemed lost when we went behind and the equaliser came only after he acknowledged that the team he'd picked wasn't working.
Okay so what is a manager supposed to do if he is handed a project, or work in progress?

System before players would be a better second sentence. If he believes that a certain system will, ultimately see us succeed and give LCFC a “footprint” then how does he achieve this without adopting the system?

Surely you’re not suggesting that he employ one system in training and another on match day?

I am behind him trying something different if he believes it can succeed, which he clearly does. There are players that will need to be replaced and we can already see who they are.

He MUST stick to the system and plan and change players when he can. If that means that the first 12 games or so are not what we would all like, there again, so be it.

Take comfort that we got 3 points today and there were “glimpses” of good football. First game, played okay, tick, some good players, tick, won, tick. What more could we reasonably ask for.

Nice to hear Enzo talking about the game. Ok, he startes the obvious - they score, we score etc but I like the way he mentions our players by the christan names.

Wait until Casadei slots into that number 8 role. Pwoarrr!

Okay so what is a manager supposed to do if he is handed a project, or work in progress?

System before players would be a better second sentence. If he believes that a certain system will, ultimately see us succeed and give LCFC a “footprint” then how does he achieve this without adopting the system?

It really isn't that complicated. As a manager, you can have your principles and preferred style, formation, approach. But you don't start with a blank sheet. You inherit a squad.

Maresca should be adding players that suit his preferred approach and he is doing so. Hemansen and Winks being obvious examples. But to just set out with a 'philosophy' and ram unsuited players into it is stupid. Deliberately making us weaker to emphasise your genius idea is fecking moronic.

Good teams evolve. They don't just magically happen. Five of the starting outfield ten players were unsuited to the roles they were given. You'll never convince me that is good management.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4563