Post Match Leicester 2 Huddersfield 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just about did enough. I was quite impressed with Huddersfield to be honest. Not many stars but a good work ethic and decent touch from most of them. Vaughan is a good striker and was unfortunate to be sent off. Tactically, Robins was quite canny and I think he's a decent manager.

We played what I think is our strongest defence but they weren't especially good. Moore isn't as good at right back and Wasilewski and Morgan were both average. Schmeichel was excellent though and made two or three terrific saves.

In midfield, we were outnumbered and at times, it showed. Knockaert in particular went missing from the right side a lot and made us look short of numbers. Nugent's link play was very good at times but he's horrible in open play in front of goal this season. Vardy took his goal well and worked hard throughout. I thought James did well when he came on and we were more solid with three in midfield.

A good account. I would go further than Brown Nose in praising Kasper. In the first half he looked unbeatable - Shilton would have been pleased with some of his saves, which is the highest praise I can give.

Huddersfield looked a better side than recent results suggest. I cannot agree that Vaughan was unfortunate to be sent off. It was not one player pushing another but a blatant two handed shove from someone who had lost his temper. Since Huddersfield were still very much in the game Vaughan who had played well let his colleagues and his fans down and I hope Mark Robbins told him so.

Leicester have become very accomplished at playing out extra time and some of their keep-ball near a corner flag was delightful.

The build up to Vardy's goal was brilliant and the work of Scannell for the Huddersfield goal was even better. I see it is credited as an own goal but Scannell did brilliantly and deserved the credit.

There was a light hearted atmosphere on the bench. Craig Shakespeare was grinning and Mike Stowell was bobbing up and down. When we went 2-0 up I thought Jeff and Conrad were going to break out into "Bring Me Sunshine." Marcin Wasilewski was on the pitch.

Last edited:
As I mentioned on another thread on Radio West Yorkshire they reckoned Huddersfield may consider pressing for an appeal against the Red Card, but they are wary that such appeal may go against him and the ban is then increased.

They also interviewed Paul Dixon, their left back, who reckoned that our Was was to blame as he "wiped him out " prior to the push by Vaughan and should have got punishment too. Dixon also said they were unlucky and Kasper earned his money today and that on another day those chances would have gone in and they would have got something from the game.

Last edited:
Pundits, experts, commentators, fans etc have to understand that a players reaction is completely separate to the action that proceeded it. If Vaughan pushed Wasilewski then he should have been sent off. How Wasilewski reacted to the push is irrelevant.

Pundits, experts, commentators, fans etc have to understand that a players reaction is completely separate to the action that proceeded it. If Vaughan pushed Wasilewski then he should have been sent off. How Wasilewski reacted to the push is irrelevant.
:018: Preceded.

Wasilewski was bending over, pulling his socks up I think, and Vaughan went up behind him and gave him a right good shove. Completely pointless decision by Vaughan, Marcin didn't throw himself to the ground and he didn't feign injury.

The first half was pretty open, we could have scored more than two and were probably lucky to have an unsoiled sheet at half time. The second half was the usual, really edgy between the 60th and 80th minutes, until NP switches to three in the midfield and we see it out.

Nice goal by Vardy.

Sounds like Vaughan has become the first ever player to be sent off for his own protection.

Sounds like Vaughan has become the first ever player to be sent off for his own protection.

I turned to the bloke next to me and joked that of the 11 men he had choose from, Marcin would be the last you'd start on!

Last edited:
As I mentioned on another thread on Radio West Yorkshire they reckoned Huddersfield may consider pressing for an appeal against the Red Card, but they are wary that such appeal may go against him and the ban is then increased.

They also interviewed Paul Dixon, their left back, who reckoned that our Was was to blame as he "wiped him out " prior to the push by Vaughan and should have got punishment too. Dixon also said they were unlucky and Kasper earned his money today and that on another day those chances would have gone in and they would have got something from the game.

They have no chance with an appeal, two handed push in the back was always going to be a red card.

And Moore, whilst not playing badly, just isn't as effective as a right back.

Agree that central defence is his better position but I thought he did really well as an attacking wing back. Certainly a couple of Hudd players will have aches and bruises today after being clattered by him.

A pity Konch cannot pass a football. I counted 4 times when he gave the ball to a Hudd player when trying to pass it while attacking. Cannot recall any successful passes.

we've only had 1 real right back for about 4 seasons now so Liam is the best available option, won't offer as much attacking but will be more then good enough defending, Wasilewski looked rusty so hopefully he'll improve with games

Good exciting game, and (obviously) great to win.
Best players for me were Kasper, Drinkwater & Vardy. King had a very good first half indeed and so did Knockert during the first half. Moore again looked accomplished and WM reliable as ever.
On the downside I thought a better team would have punnished us more and we were lucky we were playing the likes of Huddersfield instead of one of the top 6. Nugent had a poor game in my view - his woeful wasting of that 1 on 1 chance he had was unfortunately very indicative of him this season and infact since some of last season. He is a good forward but he is terribly out of form and needs to be rested either until his form improves or whatever off-field issues he may be having are resolved.
Wasilewski was a bit of a liability (granted, he may be rusty).... I thought he could play right back and if so NP should play him there and keep the central pairing of WM and LM as is.
Also thought that Knockert and King should have stayed on (unless King was feeling affects of mid-week international). I would have taken of Dyer who in the 2nd half had worsened considerably - and Nugent.
Like another poster said above, I liked the look of Hammond when he came on. During the long, hard winter he could become more influential and important for us. I tend to think that Dyer and Knockert in the same lineup is a bit of a luxury and against tougher teams we could do with Hammond for a more effective midfield unit.
James looked good too and he'll just have to bide his time and compete with Drinkwater and King for a place. It is good to have that strength in depth. I hope Wood recovers and picks up form to give Nugent a rest.

Last edited:
Was the Birch on crutches yesterday? I think he may have been. Anyway, I saw him in running gear in Mountsorrel earlier today.......

That's GTF and Alan Birchenall in the space of three days that I've spotted.

Was the Birch on crutches yesterday? I think he may have been. Anyway, I saw him in running gear in Mountsorrel earlier today.......

That's GTF and Alan Birchenall in the space of three days that I've spotted.

He has been yes.

Thought Drinkwater was superb; clearly 'up for it'. Personally think he has an attitude but when he wants to play, he's great. Vardy for the first 45 as well was brilliant.

Defensively looked shaky yesterday compared to some previous home fixtures I've been to. Morgan definitely looked less composed with Wasilewski next to him as opposed to Moore.

Wasilewski looked rusty and seems to dive in far too much for my liking. At least twice he followed an opposing player 20/30 yards out of position (a lot like David Luiz at Everton this season) and either dived into a tackle or left a wide open space behind him when he should have left the player and passed him onto a midfielder. The second time he did it cost us a goal, to an extent, as Morgan didn't cover himself in glory either.

Schmeichel pulled off some unbelievable saves again yesterday, you wonder how it is possible for the same keeper to have a Doncaster style incident.

King & Drinkwater seem to get better and better as a midfield pair for me. I think James and Hammond have a struggle to oust either of them.

Nugent looks horrible in front of goal in open play at the moment, summed up by his 1 on 1 miss in the first half, where he near enough could have done anything but what he did and scored.

Very pleased by the way we are seeing games out at the moment. Been to a few home games where we've gone 2-0 up, they've pulled one back and we've seen the game out through good passing and keeping the ball in the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566