Post Match Leicester 3 Aston Villa 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't wish to be too critical of RDL but once again yesterday AV targeted our right hand side to attack and this seems to be fairly common in our games so far this season - I doubt it is a coincidence.

He looks quite good and effective going forward but his positional sense is poor and when he get's caught out he saunters back often leaving the space between the half way line and our box empty of a blue shirt.
He is part of the reason Huth looks to be struggling a bit this season.

The amount of times he has to cover because RDL has lazily stuck a leg out and missed the ball leaving himself stranded was unacceptable.

The amount of times he has to cover because RDL has lazily stuck a leg out and missed the ball leaving himself stranded was unacceptable.

Agreed. To be honest I'd rather our full backs didn't venture forward when playing 4 at the back. When we were playing 3-4-1-2 at the end of the season, it allowed one of the wing backs to bomb forward, then the other would drop back and we would still be covered with 4 at the back. We were so defensively solid playing this system towards the end of last season.

Everything I saw yesterday, including your comments above, suggests that 3-5-2 would be best, as it allows Mahrez to sit behind the top 2 and Schlupp is so much better as a wing back. Plus it removes RDL from the team (as a right back anyway).

I don't wish to be too critical of RDL but once again yesterday AV targeted our right hand side to attack and this seems to be fairly common in our games so far this season - I doubt it is a coincidence.

He looks quite good and effective going forward but his positional sense is poor and when he get's caught out he saunters back often leaving the space between the half way line and our box empty of a blue shirt.

That's a bit weird. I wrote the post you quoted a while ago and for some reason didn't post it. When i than returned and looked again I then posted it but you have already quoted it 54 minutes ago!!

Agreed. To be honest I'd rather our full backs didn't venture forward when playing 4 at the back. When we were playing 3-4-1-2 at the end of the season, it allowed one of the wing backs to bomb forward, then the other would drop back and we would still be covered with 4 at the back. We were so defensively solid playing this system towards the end of last season.
We actually conceded far more shots, both from in and outside the area, and also Big Chances, as per Opta, in the last 5 matches of last year versus the first five this year.

I think we were just getting the rub of the green at the end of last year, and everything was going for us.

Even on Sunday, we didn't defend that well, but they had few chances. Although I worry for the Arsenal match...

That's a bit weird. I wrote the post you quoted a while ago and for some reason didn't post it. When i than returned and looked again I then posted it but you have already quoted it 54 minutes ago!!
I miss the old smilies. Could have used a few of them here.

Odd piece of play by Jamie Vardy immediately before the first Villa goal. He was marking Grealish at the corner on the edge of the box and then as the ball did its bit of ping pong, suddenly peeled away and headed upfield leaving Grealish time to advance unchallenged and apply that fine finish. Couldn't work out if he was anticipating a clearance, marking Grealish's haircut rather than the man or the ref got in the way. Still, more than made up for it at the other end, so all's well etc.

Odd piece of play by Jamie Vardy immediately before the first Villa goal. He was marking Grealish at the corner on the edge of the box and then as the ball did its bit of ping pong, suddenly peeled away and headed upfield

He obviously thought we were getting the ball clear and was anticipating a ball forward. Him doing that has led to a lot of good counter attacks in the past so it's obviously a planned thing that went wrong on this occasion.

He obviously thought we were getting the ball clear and was anticipating a ball forward. Him doing that has led to a lot of good counter attacks in the past so it's obviously a planned thing that went wrong on this occasion.
Indeed.

He put his head in his hands when he saw the goal go in, as he realised it was his man.

Similarly, Mahrez was mostly at fault for the second, giving the ball away sloppily, although I think we still could have defended it better.

I thought he had a great game second half.

He did

He was indeed truly feckin' awful in the first half, but that can also be said of about half a dozen others - Huth, Schlupp, Albrighton, Okazaki, Inler were completely dreadful in that first 45, but RDL appears to be this year's scapegoat

I scared my dogs. Fortunately my wife had gone out for the afternoon.
Still buzzing.

I've discovered that one of my dogs is a City fan. When I was yelling with joy at the radio, she joined in, with a banshee howl that made the hound of the Baskervilles sound like a poodle having its tummy tickled: by the third goal, you could see the curtains up and down the road twitching with worried neighbours. Hope we can repeat the performance on a regular basis. :D

Indeed.

He put his head in his hands when he saw the goal go in, as he realised it was his man.

Similarly, Mahrez was mostly at fault for the second, giving the ball away sloppily, although I think we still could have defended it better.

Yeah but De Laet made them do that so it must be his fault.

We all know RDL is shyte defensively and probably always will be but he does offer something going forward. We've also got no better RB as it stands, everyone else we've tried there has been no better and the jury's still out on Benalouane.

Riyad Mahrez completed more successful dribbles vs Villa (12) than any other player has in a match in Europe’s top 5 leagues this season.

We all know RDL is shyte defensively and probably always will be but he does offer something going forward. We've also got no better RB as it stands, everyone else we've tried there has been no better and the jury's still out on Benalouane.

It was interesting that Simpson was named on the bench ahead of both Benalouane and Wasyl. This suggests that he's not a million miles away.

In a flat back four, Simpson is the best defensive right back at the club. For a couple of month spell last season, he did very well. When he first came into the team, he was crap. Then just before he was dropped, he was crap again. Perhaps off the field factors had an effect.

If you combined Simpson's natural ability and De Laet's attitude, we'd be sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669