Post Match Leicester City 1 Sunderland 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Leicester City 1 Sunderland 0. The spoils go to Leicester as sub Tom Parkes' goal proves to be the difference at the King Power Stadium, with the defender hooking home from a corner 18 minutes from time.

Re: Leicester City v Sunderland

http://www.safc.com/news/20120811/leicester-city-1-sunderland-0_2256213_2878435

Leicester City 1 Sunderland 0
Sunderland went down to a single goal as they concluded the pre-season campaign at Leicester.

Martin O'Neill's return to former club Leicester City ended in a 1-0 defeat for the Black Cats in their final friendly ahead of the new campaign.

The Sunderland manager made a host of changes from the midweek game against Derby County as Sunderland prepared for the Barclays Premier League with a training camp in the Midlands.

The only game of the game came from City substitute Tom Parkes in the second half when the ball fell to him from a corner and was eventually scrambled in.

O'Neill continued to field most of his squad at some point, giving more first team action to a number of youngsters.

The Black Cats' first chance of the game fell to Fraizer Campbell, who headed Craig Gardner's cross over from eight yards early on.

The home side made the bright start to the game with quick runs and attacks on Keiren Westwood's goal but the Sunderland stopper wasn't called into action until the 19th minute.

A Jamie Vardy through ball found Jermaine Beckford, whose effort from the left-hand side of the box took a deflection off Gardner and was palmed away by Westwood.

Just moments later and the home fans thought they had taken the lead when a Ben Marshall free-kick from 25 yards out skimmed the top of the netting.

The Foxes continued to attack and came close again on 23 minutes. Left-back Paul Konchesky whipped in a powerful cross which was met by Vardy but his headed effort went over the bar.

The Black Cats called Kasper Schmeichel into action on 38 minutes with a Gardner free-kick on the edge of the box. Jack Colback was brought down on the left hand side of the box and Gardner's curling effort was punched away to safety.

Just moments later and Leicester came close as Ritchie De Laet saw his close-range header cleared off the line by Kieran Richardson.

O'Neill made a number of changes at the break with Sebastian Larsson, David Meyler and Carlos Cuellar replacing Ahmed Elmohamady, Matt Kilgallon and Titus Bramble.

The home side also made a host of changes at the break with former Sunderland striker Martyn Waghorn one of five substitutes called into action by Foxes manager Nigel Pearson.

Sunderland started the second half brightly and it was James McClean who tested Schmeichel first. The ball fell to the Irish winger on 55 minutes after a scramble in the box but his effort was easily claimed by the Leicester keeper.

At the other end Westwood continued to keep the score level producing another fine stop. Leicester substitute Anthony Knockaert cut in from the right wing and hit a low shot which was punched out by the goalkeeper before he tipped a long-range strike from Marshall over the bar just moments later.

But it was the home side who opened the scoring thanks to substitute Parkes on 72 minutes. Following a Leicester corner, the ball fell to the defender inside the six-yard box and he scrambled a shot over the line.

With fifteen minutes remaining, O'Neill made three further changes with youngsters Ryan Noble, John Egan and Blair Adams replacing Campbell, John O'Shea and Richardson.

The Black Cats almost levelled with ten minutes to go through a Seb Larsson free-kick. The Swede's delivery from 30 yards out bounced through the crowded box and hit the crossbar before the rebound fell to McClean whose header was cleared off the line.

Sunderland's players and supporters thought the ball had crossed into the goal only for the officials to wave play on.

Sunderland continued to press for an equalizer in the final ten minutes, with Schmeichel keeping out an effort from Jack Colback before sub Adams fired a shot wide in the final moments.

Sunderland: Westwood, Gardner, O'Shea (Egan, 75), Kilgallon (Meyler,46), Bramble (Cuellar, 46), Cattermole (Knott, 80), Elmohamady (Larsson, 46), Colback, Campbell (Noble, 75), Richardson (Adams, 75), McClean.

Subs Not Used: Mignolet.

That's promotion nailed on then - not worth going to any matches now.

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/11...nderland-0-306585.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

Foxes sign off their pre-season campaign with a win.
City produced a highly-encouraging display to beat Premier League Sunderland, as they signed off their pre-season campaign superbly at King Power Stadium.

A solitary goal from substitute Tom Parkes gave the Foxes a morale-boosting win on Martin O’Neill’s return to Filbert Way, but it was the overall standard of their performance that will have encouraged Nigel Pearson and the near-10,000 crowd in attendance.

Handing match time to 19 members of his first team squad ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Torquay in the Capital One Cup, Pearson watched his side dominate their top flight opponents and Parkes’ scrambled winner was the very least their efforts deserved.

And, on this basis, they will head for Devon in midweek before hosting Peterborough here in the league next Saturday filled with optimism for the season ahead.

Those hoping for clues on Pearson’s starting eleven for the opening day of the season would have been scratching their heads pre-match, with new signings and established stars in the side and on the bench.

The strike partnership of Jamie Vardy and Jermaine Beckford was given its first outing and the two looked comfortable in each other’s presence. They communicated well, acted as effective foils for one another and made unselfish runs to create space.

Behind them, the excellent Danny Drinkwater busied himself in midfield, snapping away at red and white shirts and bridging the gap between defence and attack.

A cross from Ahmed Elmohamady that was headed over by England international Fraizer Campbell was about the best Sunderland could muster in the first half. After that effort on 10 minutes, the hosts took charge.

Confident in possession, incisive in attack and full of running, City’s forwards began to threaten – Beckford racing onto a Vardy pass before his shot was scrambled away. He won a free-kick moments later that Ben Marshall sent crashing into the stanchion.

The chances kept coming. On 23 minutes, a brilliant first-time cross from Paul Konchesky was headed over by Vardy. Five minutes later, the dancing feet of Marshall made some space for a shot and Keiren Westwood was at full-stretch to keep him out.

With internationals and Premier League experience throughout their side, a response had to be expected from Sunderland. It threatened to mount in the build-up to half-time when Craig Gardner’s whipped free-kick had to be beaten away by Kasper Schmeichel.

But the hosts continued to look the better side and only a goal-line clearance from Kieran Richardson prevented Ritchie De Laet heading home Marshall’s corner five minutes before the break.

The significance of Vardy’s withdrawal through injury just before the interval will only become apparent in the coming days and there were more changes at the break, including the introduction of Anthony Knockaert.

And the Frenchman soon had the fans on their feet – tip-toeing between two defenders in the right side of the box before his firm, low drive was beaten away by Westwood.

Marshall saw another stinging drive tipped over by the flying Sunderland 'keeper a minute later, but City would grab the lead their dominance deserved 18 minutes from the end.

Marshall’s corner swung in from the left, Sunderland struggled to deal with City’s aerial presence and Parkes, only introduced to the action some four minutes previously, beat Westwood to the punch to stab home.

Few could have argued that City deserved it, much to the frustration of the visitors, who continued to see their advances broken up by City’s strength in defence and industry in midfield.

Their frustration was only compounded by Knockaert, whose showmanship in possession brought a wonderful reaction from the home supporters, if not the angered Lee Cattermole.

Predictably, though, for a side preparing for a season among the world’s elite, O’Neill’s men cranked it up and were almost level with 10 minutes to play.

Substitute Blair Adams’ hoisted free-kick deflected onto the face of Schmeichel’s crossbar, before the Dane reacted magnificently to claw out a header from James McClean.

The excitement grew in the closing stages as subs Neil Danns and Martyn Waghorn combined to set up Marshall to curl wide, before Schmeichel reacted well to keep out Jack Colback.

But City would comfortably close the game out to secure a winning finale to their pre-season preparations.

City (4-4-2): Schmeichel; De Laet (Schlupp 46), Morgan (c), Moore, Konchesky (Parkes 68); Marshall, James (Danns 46), Drinkwater (King 46), Dyer (Knockaert 46); Beckford (Waghorn 46), Vardy (Nugent 43).

Unused subs: Logan, Gallagher.
Goals: Parkes 72

Sunderland (4-4-2): Westwood; Gardner, Bramble (Cuellar 46), Kilgallon (Meyler 46), O’Shea (Egan 76); Elmohamady (Larsson 46), Cattermole, Colback, McClean; Campbell (Noble 76), Richardson (Adams 76).

Unused subs: Mignolet, Knott.

Attendance: 9,293 (1,117 away)

That's promotion nailed on then - not worth going to any matches now.

Many mackems have already tipped their team for the drop this season too. Who says preseason friendlies mean **** all!

Hello fans it's me don't get to carried away it's only a pre-season kickabout against not very good opposition.let's see where we are next week

Enjoyable game, despite the fact that I couldn't eat or drink anything due having my wisdom teeth out the other day. Plus the thickest man in the county was sat behind us. (Always start with a moan)

Morgan, Drinkwater and Marshall were excellent first half. Wes put some excellent balls over the top for Vardy who looked sharp and very quick and tenacious, if a little ragged in his touch. We looked to hit them on the break, not to say we didn't keep the ball in the midfield well too. Marshall had a few good efforts, Beckford fluffed a one on one but was generally lively.

Defensively we were more or less untroubled for long periods of the game, Morgan and Moore looked composed, but Sunderland did very little to test them in all honesty. De Laet is chuffing quick by the way. Kasper made one incredible stop off a late header, he had a standing jump and covered most of the goal to parry it.

We got the glimpse of Knockaert we all wanted, he wound them up, got a petulant shove off Cattermole (who committed several cynical fouls) did some utterly ridiculous stepovers to wind them up further and then contributed to our best move of the match, showing a delicate touch, skill and a decent effort which Westwood saved well. All in all not a bad 45 minutes. He was brushed to the ground on a number of occasions, but did improve dramatically after being switched to the right.

Danns and King didn't look fit, still very 'pre-season' as my dad put it. Waghorn put himself about without claering the stand with a shot and Nuge, well he barely got a meaningful touch.

For me, Morgan was the pick and it was a very composed and organised display on the whole.

Last edited:

Enjoyable game, despite the fact that I couldn't eat or drink anything due having my wisdom teeth out the other day. Plus the thickest man in the county was sat behind us. (Always start with a moan)

Morgan, Drinkwater and Marshall were excellent first half. Wes put some excellent balls over the top for Vardy who looked sharp and very quick and tenacious, if a little ragged in his touch. We looked to hit them on the break, not to say we didn't keep the ball in the midfield well too. Marshall had a few good efforts, Beckford fluffed a one on one but was generally lively.

Defensively we were more or less untroubled for long periods of the game, Morgan and Moore looked composed, but Sunderland did very little to test them in all honesty. De Laet is chuffing quick by the way. Kasper made one incredible stop off a late header, he had a standing jump and covered most of the goal to parry it.

We got the glimps of Knockaert we all wanted, he wound them up, got a petulant shove off Cattermole (who committed several cynical fouls) did some utterly ridiculous stepovers to wind them up further and then contributed to our best move of the match, showing a delicate touch, skill and a decent effort which Westwood saved well. All in all not a bad 45 minutes. He was brushed to the ground on a number of occasions, but did improve dramatically after being switched to the right.

Danns and King didn't look fit, still very 'pre-season' as my dad put it. Waghorn put himself about without claering the stand with a shot and Nuge, well he barely got a meaningful touch.

For me, Morgan was the pick and it was a very composed and organised display on the whole.
hop it hurts

We got the glimpse of Knockaert we all wanted, he wound them up, got a petulant shove off Cattermole (who committed several cynical fouls) did some utterly ridiculous stepovers to wind them up further and then contributed to our best move of the match, showing a delicate touch, skill and a decent effort which Westwood saved well. All in all not a bad 45 minutes. He was brushed to the ground on a number of occasions, but did improve dramatically after being switched to the right.

Cheers for the summary. They seemed very impressed with Knockaert on RL. How did Schlupp do at left back?

Ignore him teddy boy. If it were my choice, is have had your four front teeth removed to stop you biting down and to provide an easy "opening".

Speaking of things people get up to in toilets, there was a bloke at a packed urinal earlier just checking his phone and not having a piss. He was there for the entire duration of my wait and piss, so well over a minute.

Cheers for the summary. They seemed very impressed with Knockaert on RL. How did Schlupp do at left back?

Not bad actually, one excellent slide in the box but they offered very little. His best moment was a great run and pull back for Nuge but poor old Nugget went and fell over.

Knockaert's awful stepovers were hilarious, right under NP's nose too. I bet he got a clip round the ear for trying to showboat.

A beautiful day.

A cheese salad baguette and a glass of Elderflower (not at the stadium I hasten to say), Kasper looking really sharp (my man of the match) a deserved win an impressive start by De Laets, Vardy and Knockaert, a lovely walk back along the river and now a glass of Glenmorangie.

I do like summer football.

A beautiful day.

A cheese salad baguette and a glass of Elderflower (not at the stadium I hasten to say), Kasper looking really sharp (my man of the match) a deserved win an impressive start by De Laets, Vardy and Knockaert, a lovely walk back along the river and now a glass of Glenmorangie.

I do like summer football.

Kasper's catching was superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673