Leicester City 4 - 0 Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, Yakubu is not going to be the kind of player who will chase everything down, anyone who wants him to chase down balls and win headers and such like needs to accept that's not his job. People seem fine to accept that Howard's job is not to score goals or that it's not Mee's job to dribble past 6 opponents, but yet these constant criticisms Yakubu gets for not doing certain things wrangle with me. What's the point of him wasting energy chasing the ball down as someone like Waghorn constantly does? Yakubu's job is simply to score and create goals.

Simple fact is: 7 goals and 4 assists in 14 games are both absolutely fantastic ratios, especially for such a low scoring league as the Championship where even the division's top scorers often don't get 1 in 2. If he kept that level up for an entire season he could easily end up challenging for both top goalscorer and top assister in the division. A player who can play such an important part in so many goals is someone who is worth a lot, lot more than £4mil.

I love PR, because he saves me having to write what I think of Yakubu.

From other posts, we seem to have very similar views on what he brings to the team and his value to us, so I might just ditto everything you're going to say about the Yak in this post ;)

I agree. Anyone who complains about lack of chasing from the Yak would have been furious with Frank Worthington - yet Frank was one of the best and surely the most loved centreforward we have had in my time as a City fan. I have just realised that the last comment could be read two ways and both would be right.

Never saw Worthington but my mum and dad both agree he was the most over rated player they have ever seen wearing a City shirt.

Never saw Worthington but my mum and dad both agree he was the most over rated player they have ever seen wearing a City shirt.

Do they also think Yakubu doesn't run around anywhere near enough, and have "HUUUUUUUUUME" printed across their City shirts? ;)

PR spot on....Yak is a very good footballer at this level. Causes ALL SORTS of problems for defenders, would be great to have him next season. He is easily the best striker we've had since Brian Deane or Sir Les....and probably a bit better given he is only 28.

Comparisons to Howard are downright silly.

Frank Worthington had the best first touch that I have seen from a Leicester player.

Jimmy Bloomfield an excellent judge of a player always picked Frank for what was perhaps the most talented Leicester side of my time..
Brian Clough once expressed his admiration.
Bill Shankley rated Wortho so highly that he almost bought him but backed down for non-football reasons - a Frankie-Keegan combination would have been devastating.
Alf Ramsey greatest of England managers rated him as did the next England manager Joe Mercer. Frank lost his England place under Don Revie who distrusted flair players.

Obviously your mum and dad's criticism will have a harmful effect on Frankie's reputation but hopefully the opinion of Bloomfield, Clough, Shankley, Ramsey and Mercer will lessen the damage.

Obviously your mum and dad's criticism will have a harmful effect on Frankie's reputation but hopefully the opinion of Bloomfield, Clough, Shankley, Ramsey and Mercer will lessen the damage.

:icon_lol:

PR spot on....Yak is a very good footballer at this level. Causes ALL SORTS of problems for defenders, would be great to have him next season. He is easily the best striker we've had since Brian Deane or Sir Les....and probably a bit better given he is only 28.

Comparisons to Howard are downright silly.

An excellent post. With all due respect to Muzzy and Dickov I enjoyed watching Brian Deane more than any other player in the last ten years.
I very much hope we will sign the Yak permanently partly because I think he is a very effective player and partly because I enjoy watching him.

Bit harsh to single out Frank - but considering the received opinion of how that team was stuffed full of legends - and never won owt whilst the Sheep prospered up the road - some of them must have been considerably over-rated.

Bit harsh to single out Frank - but considering the received opinion of how that team was stuffed full of legends - and never won owt whilst the Sheep prospered up the road - some of them must have been considerably over-rated.

Considering our lack of achievement in the last ten years it is a bit harsh to knock a Bloomfield team that did well in the equivalent of the Premiership.

It was a team of tremendous talent. Shilton was arguably the best goalkeeper in the world - certainly the best I have ever seen. Weller and Worthington were good enough for any team in the country while Whitworth, Birchenall, Rofe and Glover were not far behind. It would however be true to say that they did not have the talent through the eleven of the Liverpool and Leeds sides of that time.

It is true that they never won anything. One reason is that they lacked depth. If a player was injured it weakened the team in a way that was not true of other top sides.
The second problem was that they were too willing to let the other team play. They did not have a Tommy Smith or a Norman Hunter. This reflected Jimmy Bloomfield's philosophy. There was a joy in the Bloomfield sides play - a surge of excitement whenever the ball went to Keith Weller on the wing.
It could be argued that it was unwise to go into a match allowing the other side to play if your opponents included Bobby Charlton or Kevin Keegan.

The other great team of my time as a supporter was the MON side. They had good players but not as gifted as Bloomfield's. On the other hand they would grind out results against more talented opposition. It is interesting to wonder what Martin would have achieved with Shilton instead of Keller, Weller for Savage and Frankie for Marshall (no disrespect to Marsh who I liked).

I thought it was interesting that Gallagher wouldn't let Yakubu have the ball for the penalty when he was clearly asking for it.

I thought it was interesting that Gallagher wouldn't let Yakubu have the ball for the penalty when he was clearly asking for it.

Good. A penalty taker should be confident and Gallagher is an excellent penalty taker.

Profondo please notice the compliment to Gallagher is not backhanded.:icon_bigg

Frank Worthington had the best first touch that I have seen from a Leicester player.

Jimmy Bloomfield an excellent judge of a player always picked Frank for what was perhaps the most talented Leicester side of my time..
Brian Clough once expressed his admiration.
Bill Shankley rated Wortho so highly that he almost bought him but backed down for non-football reasons - a Frankie-Keegan combination would have been devastating.
Alf Ramsey greatest of England managers rated him as did the next England manager Joe Mercer. Frank lost his England place under Don Revie who distrusted flair players.

:icon_lol:

Don't get me wrong they liked him and thought he was a good player, just not as good as was made out.

Considering our lack of achievement in the last ten years it is a bit harsh to knock a Bloomfield team that did well in the equivalent of the Premiership.

It was a team of tremendous talent. Shilton was arguably the best goalkeeper in the world - certainly the best I have ever seen. Weller and Worthington were good enough for any team in the country while Whitworth, Birchenall, Rofe and Glover were not far behind. It would however be true to say that they did not have the talent through the eleven of the Liverpool and Leeds sides of that time.

It is true that they never won anything. One reason is that they lacked depth. If a player was injured it weakened the team in a way that was not true of other top sides.
The second problem was that they were too willing to let the other team play. They did not have a Tommy Smith or a Norman Hunter. This reflected Jimmy Bloomfield's philosophy. There was a joy in the Bloomfield sides play - a surge of excitement whenever the ball went to Keith Weller on the wing.
It could be argued that it was unw*s* to go into a match allowing the other side to play if your opponents included Bobby Charlton or Kevin Keegan.

... it was only occasionally joyful (IIRC very occasionally in 74-75). And apart from Dirty Leeds/Arsenal/Liverpool (Man U and Spurs being in self-destruct mode), plenty of minnows - Derby and Ipswich, and arguably Norwich and QPR - have a stronger claim to how "well" they did in the top flight during the mid 1970s.

Whilst Frank was fannying about, the Sheep won two championships with first John O'Hare and then Roger Davies ffs, partnering Kevin Hector up front.

FWIW - my recollections are that Jon Sammels (an all time fave of mine), and FW's strike partners (particularly Chris Garland) were on the whole underrated - so bearing in mind that Bloomfield's City were consistently goal-shy - they rarely scored more than 50 goals in a season - there must be quite a bit of overrating somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669