Leicester City stars try Blind Football to celebrate the London 2012 Paralympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitcho_uk

Hi all,

I thought that you might like to see the film that we made with LCFC last week.

http://youtu.be/C0grxiIL0Vs

To celebrate International Paralympic Day (8th September) and the launch of the London 2012 Paralympic Games ticketing process (9th September), a selection of Leicester City first team players took on a group of visually impaired local footballers, including 2 players in the England Development Squad, in a blind penalty shootout competition.

Jermaine Beckford, Lee Peltier, Sean St Ledger, Paul Gallagher and Franck Moussa donned blindfolds to help level the playing field in a post-training shootout at Belvoir Drive, which proved to be a searching test of technique for the city stars.

The visually impaired squad of players also took part in a skills showcase to demonstrate some of the technical qualities which will be on display at next year’s London 2012 Paralympic Games.

Five-a-side Football made its Paralympic debut at Athens in 2004. At London 2012, all matches will be played at the brand new Hockey Centre in the Olympic Park, which will stage both the 5-a-side and 7-a-side Football competitions on alternating days.

Dan Mitchinson, Inspire LeicesterShire’s 2012 Games Co-ordinator, said: “The excitement leading up to the London 2012 Paralympics is building momentum and this a great way to highlight these two important dates in the run up to the Games, which is now less than one year away, together with promoting the local opportunity we have for visually impaired players”.

Mary Rudkin - Football Development Officer (Disability) at the Leicestershire and Rutland County FA and Inclusive Football Charity said

“It is fantastic that Leicester City are supporting us to raise the profile and awareness of Blind Football and the opportunities we have for potential players, not only in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland but across the East Midlands. We have recently been awarded the status of a Football Association, Centre of Excellence for Blind Football, which is to be based at Judgemeadow Community in Leicester, so the support of Leicester City FC will really help us to promote the game, locally and regionally and recruit new players, who maybe one day have the opportunity to play Blind Football in a Paralympic Games in the future.”

We would like to thank Leicester City Football Club, Leicestershire and Rutland County FA and the staff and players from both clubs for taking part on the day.

A huge thank you goes to the team at Soar Media for helping us to organise the day and for producing the highlights video.

London 2012 Paralympic Tickets

Applications for tickets to the London 2012 Paralympic Games will open on Friday 9 September 2011 and will remain open until Monday 26 September.

For further information please visit: www.tickets.london2012.com

Blind Football Taster Sessions

Leicestershire and Rutland County FA are holding a number of blind football taster sessions throughout September and October. Visit www.inspireleics.org.uk/events or www.leicestershirefa.com for further information and to get involved.

Last edited:
Re: Leicester City stars try Blind Football to celebrate the London 2012 Paralympic G

Hi all,

I thought that you might like to see the film that we made with LCFC last week.

http://youtu.be/C0grxiIL0Vs

To celebrate International Paralympic Day (8th September) and the launch of the London 2012 Paralympic Games ticketing process (9th September), a selection of Leicester City first team players took on a group of visually impaired local footballers, including 2 players in the England Development Squad, in a blind penalty shootout competition.

Jermaine Beckford, Lee Peltier, Sean St Ledger, Paul Gallagher and Franck Moussa donned blindfolds to help level the playing field in a post-training shootout at Belvoir Drive, which proved to be a searching test of technique for the city stars.

The visually impaired squad of players also took part in a skills showcase to demonstrate some of the technical qualities which will be on display at next year’s London 2012 Paralympic Games.

Five-a-side Football made its Paralympic debut at Athens in 2004. At London 2012, all matches will be played at the brand new Hockey Centre in the Olympic Park, which will stage both the 5-a-side and 7-a-side Football competitions on alternating days.

Dan Mitchinson, Inspire LeicesterShire’s 2012 Games Co-ordinator, said: “The excitement leading up to the London 2012 Paralympics is building momentum and this a great way to highlight these two important dates in the run up to the Games, which is now less than one year away, together with promoting the local opportunity we have for visually impaired players”.

Mary Rudkin - Football Development Officer (Disability) at the Leicestershire and Rutland County FA and Inclusive Football Charity said

“It is fantastic that Leicester City are supporting us to raise the profile and awareness of Blind Football and the opportunities we have for potential players, not only in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland but across the East Midlands. We have recently been awarded the status of a Football Association, Centre of Excellence for Blind Football, which is to be based at Judgemeadow Community in Leicester, so the support of Leicester City FC will really help us to promote the game, locally and regionally and recruit new players, who maybe one day have the opportunity to play Blind Football in a Paralympic Games in the future.”

We would like to thank Leicester City Football Club, Leicestershire and Rutland County FA and the staff and players from both clubs for taking part on the day.

A huge thank you goes to the team at Soar Media for helping us to organise the day and for producing the highlights video.

London 2012 Paralympic Tickets

Applications for tickets to the London 2012 Paralympic Games will open on Friday 9 September 2011 and will remain open until Monday 26 September.

For further information please visit: www.tickets.london2012.com

Blind Football Taster Sessions

Leicestershire and Rutland County FA are holding a number of blind football taster sessions throughout September and October. Visit www.inspireleics.org.uk/events or www.leicestershirefa.com for further information and to get involved.

first time this season city players have played a blinder

Last edited:
Re: Leicester City stars try Blind Football to celebrate the London 2012 Paralympic G

My cynical grandad used to say "Who were they playing, St Dunstan's ?" whenever I came back from Filbert Street and told him we'd won!

All of them had a go last saturday.

They mentioned this the other day on commentary I think. Good thing for the team to get involved with.

I think some of the Paralympic sports, like blind football and Goalball sound like they'd be good fun to watch. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the sports.

While we're vaguely on the topic of the Olympics (I found this out yesterday and just wanted to get it in somewhere), Chris Weale has a twin brother, Sam, who is likely to be representing Team GB in the Modern Pentathlon at the Olympics. I was watching a video of Sam being interviewed and thought he looked familiar, then when the name popped up realised. Fascinating...

officer_barbrady_move_along_sm.jpg

They mentioned this the other day on commentary I think. Good thing for the team to get involved with.

I agree, we should look into doing it more often

I think some of the Paralympic sports, like blind football and Goalball sound like they'd be good fun to watch. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the sports.

While we're vaguely on the topic of the Olympics (I found this out yesterday and just wanted to get it in somewhere), Chris Weale has a twin brother, Sam, who is likely to be representing Team GB in the Modern Pentathlon at the Olympics. I was watching a video of Sam being interviewed and thought he looked familiar, then when the name popped up realised. Fascinating...
Yeah I'm sure I've seen him at the WS/KP a couple of times. Sidekick, being a part-time Yeovil fan, knew everything about CW before he signed and this is one of the few things I found interesting...

in the dark, does a goal taste as sweet?

Do you think that when Chris Weale goes in goal, we could use one of those balls with the bell in it?

Do you think that when Chris Weale goes in goal, we could use one of those balls with the bell in it?

Not worth it. With Weale, we've already got a bell in goal.

i took a coach load of blind footballers to a game once, they went for a kick about at Toddington while i had a sandwich

some bloke came up to me and said "are they your bloody blind people?"

"yeah, why?"

"cos they're kicking the sh1t out of my Morris dancers"

no I shall not get off, Cate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690