Match Thread Leicester City v Leeds United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

Schmeichel; Moore, Morgan (c), Whitbread; De Laet, Drinkwater, James, King, Konchesky; Vardy, Nugent.

Subs: Dyer, Waghorn, Schlupp, Danns, Knockaert, Logan, Wood.

Guessing 'Iggy' wasn't available for this one?

Vardy for Wood is an interesting one, but Vardy scored last time out and Wood hasn't been good. I think it's fair enough.

Yeah, no complaints with Wood sitting a couple out, he's not been a major threat for a while now, some time out may do him some good.

Let's hope no defenders get injured then

and with Whitbread :100:

We have 3 central defenders and 2 full-backs on the pitch and one potential full-back on the bench. Plenty of cover.

We have played 1 game?

Subs: Dyer, Waghorn, Schlupp, Danns, Knockaert, Logan, Wood.

I really hope that we get away with it but, this is why I do not fancy our chances of being anywhere near promotion this season. Third game of the season, and we do not have enough players to put a defender on the bench. Our benches, so often, look like whatever is left: it would not be possible to replace seven first team players with the subs and still have a balanced team!

I really hope that we get away with it but, this is why I do not fancy our chances of being anywhere near promotion this season. Third game of the season, and we do not have enough players to put a defender on the bench. Our benches, so often, look like whatever is left: it would not be possible to replace seven first team players with the subs and still have a balanced team!

We have 3 central defenders and 2 full-backs on the pitch and one potential full-back on the bench. Plenty of cover.

We also have Miquel and Bakayogo to come in if needed, ignoring SSL's injury. Plenty of cover.

Yes, yes it would. Those 7 would easily replace fiesta steamers and keep the balance. The only iffy one would be schlupp at LB, but he's done it enough times to provide cover if needed in a match. Not that your point has any relevance to real life, where you can't swap 7 players.

Fiesta steamers?

Are they what happens after you go to the toilet after a long drive?

Last edited:

Would be Konch to centre back and Schlupp/dyer on at LWB if needed.

Only concern for me is that I think RDL is a major part of this formation working.... No one could adequately cover if he was injured I think.

We also have Miquel and Bakayogo to come in if needed, ignoring SSL's injury. Plenty of cover.

Presumably, Bakayogo is well down the pecking order if he is not on the bench when Miquel is, I would guess awaiting registration and SSL injured. Schlupp is NOT a full-back, he is a striker and I can only see it hindering his development to be played at the back.

The balance of our benches is my main concern. Heaven forfend, but were Whitbread to pick up an early injury today (given his history, not beyond the bounds of possibility!) we either play someone out of position, or change the formation, to which we have (hopefully) been working all week!

Presumably, Bakayogo is well down the pecking order if he is not on the bench when Miquel is, I would guess awaiting registration and SSL injured. Schlupp is NOT a full-back, he is a striker and I can only see it hindering his development to be played at the back.

The balance of our benches is my main concern. Heaven forfend, but were Whitbread to pick up an early injury today (given his history, not beyond the bounds of possibility!) we either play someone out of position, or change the formation, to which we have (hopefully) been working all week!

SSL, Moore, Morgan, Whitbread, Bakayogo and the new guy give us more than enough options for centre back, even playing 3. Pearson knows as well as anyone that SSL is injury prone and cat be relied upon to last a whole season. However, due to his reportedly high wages and said injury prone-ness, he have proved impossible to shift on so we cannot bring in someone better/healthier.

Last edited:
Heaven forfend, but were Whitbread to pick up an early injury today (given his history, not beyond the bounds of possibility!) we either play someone out of position, or change the formation, to which we have (hopefully) been working all week!

Yes, when a first team player is injured you often have to play someone out of position. But many players are capable at playing in many positions. If Whitbread was injured, Konchesky could easily drop into the back 3, and Schlupp or even Dyer are plenty competent at Championship level.

There are at least 8 positions as first choice (GK, LB/LWB, CB, RB/RWB, LM, CM, RM, FWD) - how do you propose we cover those with 7 subs?

Have you had a look at Leeds' bench - do they have cover for every position?

The balance of our benches is my main concern.

Surely that's a good thing?! Heaven forbid you were concerned about our starting XI.

5 CBs, 3 LBs, & 1RB plus youth players - yeah we are definitely short at the back with our squad.

Surely we must be losing by now? Pisson Out!

Who was cover for CB in the 1999/2000 season for us when we regularly played 3 at the back? Walsh, Marshall, .......?

Who was cover for CB in the 1999/2000 season for us when we regularly played 3 at the back? Walsh, Marshall, .......?

Phil Gilchrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570