Pre Match Leicester City v Sheffield Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now he's back where he started - single-handedly engineering a club's relegation to League One
Actually now I look at it, even though in his time at Millwall they've gone from 21st place to five points adrift of safety in 23rd, their points per game has gone up since he arrived. It was 0.917 up to his appointment, and since then it's 0.929. The man's clearly a miracle worker. I hereby take back everything I said about him.

I was going to say after BM's post that the crazy thing was, quite a lot of fans wanted Holloway to be given a crack at League 1.

What's even crazier than that craziness is that some people still think he should have had a crack at it!

Crazy.

Not crazy at all. The same notion of keeping Holloway on was similar to Pearson staying this Summer. Some fans just wanted stability in a manager after a complete clusterfuck of a season. He's a clown mind.

Harry Worley playing central midfield away at Stoke in that final game, cheers Ian.
I was nervous enough on the day, had just calmed myself down with a few comforting beers in the minibus on the way up from London ( cheers Boc! ) and then a couple in a village outside Stoke and then heard that tactical masterpiece. If for nothing else, that is why Holloway is a laughable manager.

Not crazy at all. The same notion of keeping Holloway on was similar to Pearson staying this Summer. Some fans just wanted stability in a manager after a complete clusterfuck of a season. He's a clown mind.

Mental more fitting then?

He had to go, no question. He was absolutely terrible for us and didn't show any glimpse of anything positive.

I understand where you're coming from for the stability but at least Pearson almost got us there last year, Holloway just failed big time.

Harry Worley playing central midfield away at Stoke in that final game, cheers Ian.

Not forgetting Ashley Chambers coming on for his debut with about 2 minutes to go!

Lunacy of the highest order.

I seem to recall that IH has a poor record when going to a club mid-season. When he starts out in the close season, he's been far more effective. I don't think that this is coincidence. His approach is one that requires him to get a group together that will play for him and that's difficult to do with predominantly other people's players.

I also recall being disappointed that we sacked IH on being relegated. Much as he'd made a mess of things in his first few months here, the club was a total shambles and I've never held him especially responsible for it. I'd argue much more strongly that he shouldn't have got the job in the first place based on what I said above. Mad Mandy was far more responsible for our relegation than any manager or player.

Actually, I also think that if he'd kept us up that season and retained his position, I expect we'd have been in the Premier League (at least for a season) before now.

I seem to recall that IH has a poor record when going to a club mid-season. When he starts out in the close season, he's been far more effective. I don't think that this is coincidence. His approach is one that requires him to get a group together that will play for him and that's difficult to do with predominantly other people's players.

I also recall being disappointed that we sacked IH on being relegated. Much as he'd made a mess of things in his first few months here, the club was a total shambles and I've never held him especially responsible for it. I'd argue much more strongly that he shouldn't have got the job in the first place based on what I said above. Mad Mandy was far more responsible for our relegation than any manager or player.

Actually, I also think that if he'd kept us up that season and retained his position, I expect we'd have been in the Premier League (at least for a season) before now.
Hindsight is a nice sight. At the time of his appointment his poor record of taking over clubs mid-season didn't excist :icon_wink

Edit; I was also a bit disappointed about sacking him at the time. But hindsight has changed my mind.

Last edited:
I was nervous enough on the day, had just calmed myself down with a few comforting beers in the minibus on the way up from London ( cheers Boc! ) and then a couple in a village outside Stoke and then heard that tactical masterpiece. If for nothing else, that is why Holloway is a laughable manager.

I'm sure you didn't have any beers (comforting or otherwise) in the minibus. That would have been illegal!

I'm finding it somewhat mind blowing that it's actually possible we could be promoted half an hour after the Grand National! An entire month of the season rendered irrelevant.I'm just intensely happy & determined to enjoy it as its highly doubtful It'll happen again in my lifetime.

Last 20 games form:

D W W W W W W W W W D D W W W W D D W D

1 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 1 1 3 3 3 3 1 1 3 1

48 Points from 60 available.

I'm finding it somewhat mind blowing that it's actually possible we could be promoted half an hour after the Grand National! An entire month of the season rendered irrelevant.I'm just intensely happy & determined to enjoy it as its highly doubtful It'll happen again in my lifetime.

Come here and give us a big kiss you old softie.

Had we lost two nil last Saturday instead of won two nil, Burnley would have gone top.

If we win tonight, we're ten points clear of them. Potentially a huge swing in six days.

Only one win in 4 then ! Need some wins to rebalance the sequence.

IF they are truly focused tonight, it will be a victory. One wonders if, mentally, the season was left at turf moor.

Fwiw, qpr have a smallest sniff of catching burnley with their injury woes. I expect them to go for it at Bournemouth which should dictate a positive result either way.

This is brilliant. 10 years of frustration (apart from one) and too many of those filled with mediocrity. Come on fellas - lets do this in style but you have to earn it each time you cross the white line.

I genuinely believe if we'd won that day we'd be in a much worse position now. Holloway might have got another season to bury us even further. The relegation might have been a year late. Pearson would have ended up somewhere else and we could have been stuck with John Gregory or someone equally awful.

I had not realised that Holloway had a season. I still maintain that given a pre-season Holloway would have done a good job at Leicester. He was the right manager at the wrong time. However, I accept that we replaced Holloway with an even better manager.

I see that Joe Mattock is with Sheffield Wednesday. How did leaving Leicester for the big time work out Joe. He left Leicester in an ungracious way and behaved dreadfully in an incident soon afterwards. For this he has been roundly booed whenever he has returned.

He was very young at the time and is not a serial offender like Marlon King or a pantomime villain like Neil Warnock. It is time to give the booing a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566