Leicester City vs Tranmere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the winger had a pretty good at left back

he did indeed have a pretty good at left back, you could tell he isn't a proper full back though, just in the way every clearence went twenty yards and straight to the edge of his own box :icon_bigg did ok all things considered, good call by nige to stick him their

Last edited:
Martin-did well took some good catches and did what he had to do
Gibert-looked far more secure defensivily did well
Morrison-played ok caught napping for their goal but held on in the last 10 minutes
Hobbs-Good, dealt with that big striker well but was also caught napping for their goal.
Dyer-ok as a stand in left back but wouldnt trust him away from home
Gradel-good free kick for the second goal and smart play on the first as well
King-needs to get more involved in the game, gave the ball away too much in the first half
oakly-much improved this season, gets forward more and put his foot in
Porter-looked nervous in the first half and stood off them alot, deserved to get subbed
Howard-did very well won everything in the air and was unlucky not to score a second
fryatt-scored 2 goals but overall was poor, but i will forgive him.

Regarding attendance why were we around 6-7k down on the Mk Dons game. We have had a decent start, and MK didnt bring that many fans:102:. Bank holiday weekend possibly? or is this to be the norm this season ?

LIke you say, Bank Holiday weekend and still holiday time for a lot of folk. I reckon as long as the points keep coming we will maintain around the 20,000 mark which would be damn good for the third tier.

Anyway, the atmosphere with the 17½ today was better than many of the bigger gates in the past few seasons.

A godd result for us today. It wasn't pretty for the first 20 mins or so, and our midfield distribution and tackiling was generally crap. But we did well defensively and got a lot of crosses in.

Gilbert and Gradel played well, and Howard did ok apart from his wayward flick-ons. I think Fryatt had a good game, he actually pressed the defenders and the goalkeeper several times, which is nice to see. Wasn't very impressed with King, he was crap. And I think porter didn't see much of the ball, to be fair to him. Tranmere bossed the middle of the park for most of the game, but our wingers won back the ball more often then not, and went right back at them.

I would be pissed off I were a Tranmere fan, their defence was woeful.

Looking forward to seeing the 3rd goal on the highlights tomorrow. We sat behind the goal and it looked quite comical before Fryatt actually managed to put it in the net.

Tranmere brought less than MK I thought. I can only see being the norm esp. when you consider that it's still £23 quid to watch third tier football.

I had this discussion with someone today: Would you rather pay £23 to watch us win in the third tier or £23 to lose in the 2nd like last year ? It seems more people were prepared to do it last year.

I had this discussion with someone today: Would you rather pay £23 to watch us win in the third tier or £23 to lose in the 2nd like last year ? It seems more people were prepared to do it last year.

My Dad wasn't very happy at having to cough up that amount. He thought they would bring it down for the drop. I know he's going to pick his games this season and it clearly starts next Saturday with Cheltenham. £18 which I think is far. £15 to £18 seems about right to me.

What irks me is that we used adopted a category policy - then we just generally had a standardised price because we knew sell-outs would simply never happen. I reckon the same should be done this season because there is seems to be two lots of teams in this division. The likes of Carlisle, Leeds, Huddersfield, Oldham would may warrant £23 and then the likes of Cheltenham, Tranmere, Walsall, Hereford who certainly aren't.

We won, and that's about it

Oakley and Howard were very good - as were the two centre halves

Dyer at full back was a joke selection

King and Porter atrocious

But 3 points is 3 points, I guess

Was it all really that bad? The mockery describe our 'thrashing' of Tranmere as 'pulsating' :icon_lol:

Was it all really that bad? The mockery describe our 'thrashing' of Tranmere as 'pulsating' :icon_lol:

The mockery's write-up in the link to the right of the page is ****ing terrible!:icon_lol:

Again, a satisfied customer. Whether it's the players or the manager, after the porter/dickov switch i think we actually looked more of a team.

The worst thing about this match (and I'm sure we've all said it without meaning it), but the referee was genuinely shocking. Nearly every decision after our second was completely biased and i don't think we deserved to concede.

All in all though, a good performance again, save from first 20mins.

come on boys! :038:

The Mockery don't do a report immediately after the match.

I think the one that appears on their site comes from the press association, and the same report can be found on loads of sites, such as ITV.com, Soccernet, Football365 etc.

The ref was a complete and utter c**t today.

2 cast iron penalties waved away, a clear cut corner waved away. Dickov pulled up for handball whan he was 2cm away from hard hit ball as he was clear on goal. (x) amount of wrong offside decisions in the second half against our forwards.

Shocking performance from the officials.

The linesman in front of us second half couldn't even keep up with the line of play.
The worst one was when he was at least 5 yards behind play and there's no way he would've been able to tell if anyone was offside from where he was, yet he stuck his flag up anyhoo. He was utter poo.

Any supporter is going to be happy with a win and on the whole I'm satisfied by today's game. I think the fact that not only was a victory recorded today but that it was by a 2 goal margin is significant. If this season is to come to anything then not only do LCFC have to beat the likes of Tranmere, but they have to do it by a decent margin if only to show there's goals in the team for a long campaign - and for when the going gets tougher. Leicester today had the 'grinding out results' feel to them that they had under Brian Little in my opinion. Leicester only perhaps had 2 or 3 purple patches when they did really well and played exciting football, but they kept the game steady at other times and rarely allowed Tranmere to get on top.

My own view of the players is as follows.

Martin - I liked the look of him. He flapped once as noted by several, but I generally saw encouraging signs. There was one point blank save I seem to remember he made.

Gilbert - up until about the 62nd minute I thought it was a competentish display with a couple of poor passes thrown in to spoil it a little, but not too bad overall. And then... he suddenly morphed into a totally different player who turned in a geat performance for the last part of the match. Suddenly his every pass seemed to find his man - and he made a lot more tackles. Finally, he went on one blinding forward surge that was very impressive.

Dyer - there seem mixed views on how he did so far on here. I'm with those who think he did very well. I don't agree that he looked like a makeshift or out of place at all. A very good piece of judgement to play him left back by NP when the more obvious option was to play Porter there. There was one electrifying run forward from him that was good to watch. If Dyer adds being prepared to shoot to his game then he will be very dangerous - he seems reluctant to do so at present and yet, as on one occasion today, his pace is going to get him to positions with a good chance of shooting and scoring - provided he finds the nerve and the confidence to give it a go.

Hobbs - very impressed. Strong, read the game well, and as noted by more than one person, very good distribution. I think If Tunchev is recalled then Hobbs in my book just gets the edge above Morrison, but this is no denigration of the latter who was good today as well.

Morrison - impressive as noted above. I think he has probably had to step up further than Hobbs and his development at this level after just a couple of games is very encouraging. I think I noticed a slight fitness issue with him. I saw him puffing hard and holding his ribs at one point well before the final whistle - and it wasn't at the end of a run or a chase with another player either. Someone somewhere went to sleep for their goal - it may well have been him though he may be no less to 'blame' than Hobbs to be fair. Good game without a doubt though.

Gradel - some very good input. Not as scinctillating as some might have been hoping today, but flashes of being special. Big hand in either the opening or 2nd goal. Injury meant early withdrawl from match.

Oakley - I thought he had a classy, composed game. And that is the level the team are going to need from him because I doubt any of the other midfielders are up to that standard (King or Weso). For me, he was still short of quite reaching the standard of 'midfield general', which I think the team needs for a promotion campaign but this early in the season perhaps we are seeing signs that he may be capable of this role. It seems clear he is being told to get forward and his partner (currently King) has been told to hold back and cover. Had a shot cleared off the line I recall.

King - a big disappointment, well below expectations. I had thought at the start of the season that the boy was good enough to grab his chance in midfield immediately but his games have been distinctly damp squib affairs so far. Perhaps NP's orders to keep an eye on the defensive midfield role and watch for how far advanced Oakley gets before he ventures forward is inhibiting him. But on the evidence today, I'd say his place is under threat from Kish and Weso.

Howard - a good game. If he maintains this scoring rate you can't complain about the fact that he occasionally looks a bit sluggish. Those moments are often offset by a good knock down or some other useful contribution as evidenced today. I'd certainly give his performance a thumbs up today.

Fryatt - well some have said, c*ap performance but 2 well taken goals. I think Fryatt deserves a better ranking than that (and I'm no easy praiser of Fryatt). I thought he was very involved in the game and put himself about a lot. He still infuriatingly doesn't think quickly enough about which option to go for when in a dangerous position... and he still gets caught off side too much. But plenty of effort and involvement. 2 goals also says he has more than done his job today. Also, I thought he'd earned a stonewall penalty.

Porter - I thought there was plenty of industry and involvement from Porter. Criticised by one or two here but I thought he did ok. True, he never really made things happen but I never felt that he was incapable of doing so - I'd be in favour of giving him another chance.

Subs
Adams - looked pretty good, he got involved in fairly limited time, and there was one tremendous goalbound shot I think that was blocked.
Dickov - played out of position and with limited time and not enough match practice yet it's probably unfair to pass any comment

Last edited:
... err, when were we last second in any league to go back up to?!
That post got shunted off the end of the match thread. We were previously 2nd in the league about ten minutes before I posted that, when we were 2-0 up. Down to 4th at 2-1, back to 2nd at 3-1. I was looking at a live table. Yes, I'm that sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670