Leicester miss out on 4G in the first wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffa Bacon

EE today announced 16 cities will get 4G LTE mobile before Christmas, the list includes Nottingham, Derby and Hull but not Leicester.

EE today announced 16 cities will get 4G LTE mobile before Christmas, the list includes Nottingham, Derby and Hull but not Leicester.

Ah yes, but don't forget it's designed to help those places where everything is slow.

Ah yes, but don't forget it's designed to help those places where everything is slow.

Having second rate infrastructure isn't going to make Leicester an attractive city

Will anyone else be rolling out their own? Or were EE just releasing the news, rather than the service?

EE have spare spectrum because they merged T-Mob and Orange spectrum so the regulators have said they can go ahead and start 4G LTE (800Mhz) from 11th September, all the other networks have to wait until they get new spectrum in an auction which hasn't taken place yet but is planned for later in the year. I don't expect 3, Vodafone, O2 and a new player to have 4G until mid 2013 at the earliest.

EE have spare spectrum because they merged T-Mob and Orange spectrum so the regulators have said they can go ahead and start 4G LTE (800Mhz) from 11th September, all the other networks have to wait until they get new spectrum in an auction which hasn't taken place yet but is planned for later in the year. I don't expect 3, Vodafone, O2 and a new player to have 4G until mid 2013 at the earliest.

I'm with tmob so hopefully they'll hit Leicester by the time I upgrade in December.

Having second rate infrastructure isn't going to make Leicester an attractive city

What difference would it make for a person like me who just surfs basic sites on the net from home, and rarely uses the internet on my phone? Will I even notice a difference when it arrives?

There is also some speculation as to whether the new iPhone will work on the EE spectrum.

Did you notice a difference when 3G arrived?

I did. It made my phone slower, rinsed the battery and I found the internet connection slower than before. Orange helpfully told me to switch the 3G off as it wasn't a good signal over here in the wilds of Melton, so it is now permanently turned off.

Meh, don't really see the need for it anyway. I'm sure it will have some very good uses in certain industries but for the average 'home-user', I'm not fussed about web pages opening slightly quicker than before as it's pretty sharp as it is.

I'm sure there are much more worthy causes for investment rather than getting a few extra mB download speed for mobile and home. Compared to where we were 5 years ago everything is lightening quick!

Meh, don't really see the need for it anyway. I'm sure it will have some very good uses in certain industries but for the average 'home-user', I'm not fussed about web pages opening slightly quicker than before as it's pretty sharp as it is.

I'm sure there are much more worthy causes for investment rather than getting a few extra mB download speed for mobile and home. Compared to where we were 5 years ago everything is lightening quick!

It's only as quick as it is because money was spent in the first place.

It's only as quick as it is because money was spent in the first place.

haha that doesn't even deserve replying to but I thought I would acknowledge your post anyway. :)

haha that doesn't even deserve replying to but I thought I would acknowledge your post anyway. :)

Yeah we should all've stayed with dial up, there is obviously no advantage to faster communications and data transfer, in fact why we ever moved away from telex I don't know.

This is an equally big step. Offering 50 times faster speeds.

I'm sure there are much more worthy causes for investment rather than getting a few extra mB download speed for mobile and home.

Companies don't invest in 'worthy causes', they invest in causes that will earn them revenue and profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566