Pre Match Leicester v Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beckford appeared to be the preferred choice, understandably, up until the Huddersfield rumours started. Something must've happened for him to be so far down the pecking order now. Whatever the reason, NP needs to sort it out before it starts affecting the rest of the squad.

Unfortunately it's far to late for this, I fear he can only persist with him to avoid destroying his confidence.

The thing is you can't just throw in a lower league player into the first team and expect the to excel. He's done alright, but at what cost? Look at Le Fondre for Reading, he didn't just waltz into their first team, he was gradually integrated into the side. McDermott did it the right way. Pearson's tried to get the same result but more rapidly and it's not paid off and ruined the attacking options we already had.

I'd go:

Schmeichel

De Laet Morgan Moore Schlupp

Marshall King Danns Dyer

Beckford Vardy

The critical points being that Konchesky is still fecking terrible - and Schlupp is much better at left back from the little I've seen. I've been fairly impressed with Vardy but Nugent has been well off form. I think Beckford needs a start as well. It's a real shame Pearson broke up what was looking a decent partnership between Beckford and Nugent to accomodate Vardy. I don't think Vardy has been a bad player for us by any means but it was a silly decision and as Lako says it's probably not going to help a great deal going back on it now.

Beckford is a player that has that extra bit of quality to produce something from nothing.. I don't see that in Vardy or Nugent. Indeed I'd say only him, Marshall and Knockaert look to have this extra level in their game somewhere.

I like the look of Knockaert but he needs to learn to be a bit less greedy, lost the ball too often yesterday with his showboating. It's nice when it comes off, but very frustrating when it doesn't. Needs to get the basics right first.

Last edited:
I'd go:

Schmeichel

Marshall King Danns Dyer

Beckford Vardy

The critical points being that Konchesky is still fecking terrible - and Schlupp is much better at left back from the little I've seen. I've been fairly impressed with Vardy but Nugent has been well off form. I think Beckford needs a start as well. It's a real shame Pearson broke up what was looking a decent partnership between Beckford and Nugent to accomodate Vardy. I don't think Vardy has been a bad player for us by any means but it was a silly decision and as Lako says it's probably not going to help a great deal going back on it now.

Beckford is a player that has that extra bit of quality to produce something from nothing.. I don't see that in Vardy or Nugent. Indeed I'd say only him, Marshall and Knockaert look to have this extra level in their game somewhere.

I like the look of Knockaert but he needs to learn to be a bit less greedy, lost the ball too often yesterday with his showboating. It's nice when it comes off, but very frustrating when it doesn't. Needs to get the basics right first.

I didn't really see Knockaert do too much showboating at all. He played some delightful little balls around the box. If anyone was greedy yesterday it was Marshall.

What surprises me, is the fact that some of you seem to be surprised. When we were acquiring the bulk of the close season signings, many posts suggested that these were the back up players and that the quality would come later. When it didn't, the 'back up players' became mythical giants (Someone, I can't remember whom, referred to Matt James as the new Paul Scholes!)

Do any posters look at this group of players and think it is a Championship winning squad (Not that Pearson has brought in some good players - but that we have the squad)?

The one and only dpjfox! Tbf he was only saying what his Preston mates told him.

I'd go:

Schmeichel

Marshall King Danns Dyer

Beckford Vardy

I fear that his goal has made Konchesky untouchable at least for another week.

Last edited:
I'd go:

Schmeichel

Marshall King Danns Dyer

Beckford Vardy

Completely agree! He was definitely an improvement on Dyer, but he too often he would take one touch too many and run into trouble. I still think he should be given the nod ahead of Dyer for tomorrow. Especially with it being a home game.

Completely agree! He was definitely an improvement on Dyer, but he too often he would take one touch too many and run into trouble. I still think he should be given the nod ahead of Dyer for tomorrow. Especially with it being a home game.

And Marshall didn't? Knockaert was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. I lost count of the number of times Marshall tried to cut inside to take a shot that got charged down when there were better options available to him. Marshall is a fantastic player and prospect for us but he is also the greediest player we have and that needs to be remedied for him to develop into a real asset

Last edited:

I'd say he has that nailed anyway. Realistically who would take his place anyway? I'd rather have him there than a makeshift for the sake of it. He needs some proper competition.

Cheer up. On current form, it is going to be an average season just like so many before. Enjoy the wins and forget the losses. Some of the language by some on here after a loss suggests that their mood for the next three days is dependant on City's results.

When did you get so sensible? I don't like it. I blame your missus.

Who would you replace him with? Schlupp? A striker who looked average there in one substitute appearance this season? Same as Moore ar RB. The end of the Blackpool game was more nerve wracking than at any point against Wolves, goals against excluded.

And Marshall didn't? Knockaert was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. I lost count of the number of times Marshall tried to cut inside to take a shot that got charged down when there were better options available to him. Marshall is a fantastic player and prospect for us but he is also the greediest player we have and that needs to be remedied for him to develop into a real asset

If Gallagher was that greedy he'd have been shot. Literally shot.

I reckon all we'll see is James in for King and Danns replacing James on the bench. All the rest will be the same.

Cheer up. On current form, it is going to be an average season just like so many before. Enjoy the wins and forget the losses. Some of the language by some on here after a loss suggests that their mood for the next three days is dependant on City's results.

That's all well and good if you've discovered how to live forever. Unfortunately, I haven't and I am among the generation witnessing our worst run of seasons in history.

And quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. There is also no reason for it. The standard in the Championship is dreadful, the standard in the bottom half of the Premier League is poor, we've got money, we've got the players, we've got the stadium, training facilities and support.

I'm sick of underachievers wasting my time. I'm quite capable of separating football from real life but, for many, football is more significant than you are insinuating. A lot of the time, like many others, I have a challenging and difficult life. Football is supposed to be one of few releases from that. I don't expect us to be world beaters, but we're bigger and better than the shite we've been served up for the last decade.

Who would you replace him with? Schlupp? A striker who looked average there in one substitute appearance this season? Same as Moore ar RB. The end of the Blackpool game was more nerve wracking than at any point against Wolves, goals against excluded.

I don't quite get this. Is a nervy win not as good as a clear cut loss?

From what I've seen Schlupp could make a decent full back. Konchesky is garbage, the amount of times he gets skinned I lose count of every game. We all know he can be pretty reckless too and yesterday showed up his marking frailties too. Does he offer that much going forward? Not in my book.

Schlupp is quick, and from what I've seen can put in a tackle. That already makes him a better bet for the left back slot IMO.

I think this is the most important change we could make for the next game. Konchesky is pissing me off that much.

That's all well and good if you've discovered how to live forever. Unfortunately, I haven't and I am among the generation witnessing our worst run of seasons in history.

And quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. There is also no reason for it. The standard in the Championship is dreadful, the standard in the bottom half of the Premier League is poor, we've got money, we've got the players, we've got the stadium, training facilities and support.

I'm sick of underachievers wasting my time. I'm quite capable of separating football from real life but, for many, football is more significant than you are insinuating. A lot of the time, like many others, I have a challenging and difficult life. Football is supposed to be one of few releases from that. I don't expect us to be world beaters, but we're bigger and better than the shite we've been served up for the last decade.

If you go to a football match to get release from stress then I think you need to make a new choice. You speak as though we have a right to be challenging for promotion, we don't. We have been an average club for a long time, to expect differently when we keep doing the same thing (sack manager, replace squad, repeat) is just insanity. We aren't bigger and better than we have been, that arrogance puts you in the same bracket as the "we once won in Europe" Forest fans and the "we're a huge club in Europe" Liverpool fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669