Pre Match Leicester v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am going to carry on in the same vein as last season. We are going to be found quite lacking tomorrow. Everton are an extremely efficient unit with several very good players. For these reasons, they will comfortably dispatch us - 3-0 to the Toffees. :(
I concur. On both points, when I predict a win, we lose and visa versa. So 3.0 win to Everton is my prediction.

We don't have a great record against Everton? I know we beat them opening game when lineker came back but apart from that, I don't recall too many victories, especially at filbert st.

I hope the players are able to keep their nerve better than me at the moment. Haven't slept well and I can only assume its nervous energy in anticipation. been a long time coming and if we get badly found out today, it won't bode well considering we have laid out our stall re continuity.

I have no idea how this afternoon will pan out. I am hoping that their better (wc) players are unable to make it through a high tempo game, considering they may not have had much of a pre season.

Last edited:
We beat them at last time the fixture was the first game of the season and also the last time it was first home game of the season, I see no reason why this trend won't continue.

past performance is not a guide to future returns

Last edited:
Twenty years ago, we were in a very similar position to today. In the top league for the first time in too many years. We had a manager that was new to it but who had earned our trust. We had a bunch of players with some potential, some cloggers and a lot of top level inexperience.

We began at home to a highly rated team that were on the up, Newcastle. As the game began, there were gasps of excitement, not from what was happening on the pitch, but from the futuristic sight of electronic advertising boards revolving. We were so naive. We'd knocked on the door of promotion for a few seasons and finally we'd got there but were a bit in awe of it all.

What happened that day was that we froze on and off the pitch. The team selected was overly defensive and appeared to be fearful of the opposition. Newcastle obliged us first half and it was 0-0 at the break. Keegan must have ripped into them at half time because they came out and blew us away. Beardsley and Cole did for us that day and we eventually lost 1-3. The final score flattered us.

Why is this relevant?

Well, the point is that today is going to be much, much tougher than many people think. Everton have masses of quality and experience and we don't. Over recent seasons, we've been used to controlling games at home. That's not going to happen very often this time round. We've got to hang in there on and off the pitch. Some teams will batter us. Maybe Everton will today. But it's how we support them and how we all stick together this season that will determine our fate.

I've been one of the more critical fans on here since I joined eight years ago. And I reserved the right to do this because I thought we ought to be doing better. For me, anything below the top league is a disappointment. Settling for second best isn't right as far as I'm concerned.

In all honesty, I think we're very vulnerable and will need plenty of good fortune to get by. We've been promoted to the Premier League three times before and on two of those occasions, came straight back down. The only exception was when we had an exceptional manager. But that isn't relevant. From today onwards, I'll cheer them to the rafters every game because that's my job this season. The ground will be full, the tension will be obvious. But we need to encourage and try to give the players confidence and belief. We need to be noisy in a good way.

After a ridiculously long slumber, it's time to wake up and get involved in some real football again.

Last edited:
Everton are a big strong Premiership unit. It will not end well for you.
You'll do well to keep them down to 2 goals.

The thought of it all makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. How satisfying would it feel to be sat with a beer tonight and 3 points in the bag.

Can you not allow me to fantasize for at least a couple of minutes.

Pipe down little league

Well here it is then.

Our return to the top table after a decade away rotting in the lower divisions. We haven't signed as many players as many of us on here would have expected or indeed thought required.

BUT today is special and I am very jealous of those of you who are attending the game. Today is our cup final and although it would be ridiculas to suggest this is a must win game, we must ensure that we play high tempo on and off the pitch.

The crowd MUST play its part and be supportive even if things don't go according to plan.

Let's ensure we enjoy today and with the right approach from the team there is no reason whatsoever why we can't get three points on the board.

Good luck City and don't leave that pitch today having not given it your all.

Last edited:
We've been promoted to the Premier League three times before and on two of those occasions, came straight back down. The only exception was when we had an exceptional manager.

As we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570