Local Football/Non-League Thread 2011-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Local Football/Non-League Thread 2010-11

Easy to say when they're not your clubs. The clubs may be smaller, but does that mean the fans' love for them should be in some way smaller too? After all, we're 'tiny' compared to Man Utd, Real Madrid etc.

Why is it so difficult to understand that neither the Hinckley fans nor the Rushden/Irthlinborough fans did not object to either merger? They saw it as a sensible move to try to advance their teams, notwithstanding the fact that they were only a part of a greater whole.

Last edited:

My understanding has always been that Max Griggs merged the two in order to have a plaything that he could ride up the league ladder.

Obviously. But you'd be wrong.

Why is it so difficult to understand that neither the Hinckley fans nor the Rushden/Irthlinborough fans did not object to either merger? They saw it as a sensible move to try to advance their teams, notwithstanding the fact that they were only a part of a greater whole.

Some fans did object to those mergers and said they wouldn't go to support the new team.

jb5000 said:
My understanding has always been that Max Griggs merged the two in order to have a plaything that he could ride up the league ladder.
You seem to know better so do enlighten...
Obviously. But you'd be wrong.

You seem to have missed part of my quote there. Could you perhaps respond to it rather than make sarky comments. Or feel free to take a seat on my ignore list.

Some fans did object to those mergers and said they wouldn't go to support the new team.

But the fact remains that the combined club was watched by more people than the two former clubs put together.

You seem to have missed part of my quote there. Could you perhaps respond to it rather than make sarky comments. Or feel free to take a seat on my ignore list.

I haven't bothered to answer your question because I see it as a pointless exercise. You have demonstrated such a lack of understanding of the issues appertaining to the two clubs and the newly formed one, while at the same time holding such strong negative views, that I don't believe anything I contributed to the thread would change your blinkered viewpoint. You have made no effort to discover the true basis behind the merger before this point in time which indicates to me that you couldn't give a toss about the actual reasoning.

Now I must go and prepare for life after being added to your ignore list. I'm hoping it doesn't leave me feeling as crushed as when Jade Goody died.

But the fact remains that the combined club was watched by more people than the two former clubs put together.

MK Dons get bigger crowds than AFC Wimbledon, does that make moving the original Wimbledon 60 miles+ away from it's home ok? That's the same problem to me as it is here.

I haven't bothered to answer your question because I see it as a pointless exercise. You have demonstrated such a lack of understanding of the issues appertaining to the two clubs and the newly formed one, while at the same time holding such strong negative views, that I don't believe anything I contributed to the thread would change your blinkered viewpoint. You have made no effort to discover the true basis behind the merger before this point in time which indicates to me that you couldn't give a toss about the actual reasoning.

Now I must go and prepare for life after being added to your ignore list. I'm hoping it doesn't leave me feeling as crushed as when Jade Goody died.

So apart from asking you to enlighten me twice, as you seem to feel you know more than me, 'I have made no effort'.

You are right that I have a negative view of R&D, but least I have made that clear and said why I hold that opinion. You dismiss the, what I understand to be, facts on which I base that opinion but do nothing when I ask you to rectify those facts. Hardly blinkered behaviour on my behalf, but your approach is simply petty.

MK Dons get bigger crowds than AFC Wimbledon, does that make moving the original Wimbledon 60 miles+ away from it's home ok? That's the same problem to me as it is here.

Might be worth mentioning then that at the time of the merger, Rushden Town were told that their ground was too poor of a state for their level. It's either merger or bottom of the pyramid (as Mawsley mentioned the fans which stood by the club ended up in another merger with Higham as they
were struggling). The Diamonds were tiny, 50 fans tiny but they had the ground. Griggs was invited to sponsor the Diamonds and came up with the idea of a merger.

Hinckley, both clubs were just missing out on promotion each year. The club has grew had a result.

Last edited:

yes well done, that was the bit I was questioning. Now would you care to answer it?

Sorry, you've lost me there. I was trying to say that just as (as I see it) merging Rushden and Irthlingborough created one team with a wider catchment area/possible number of fans, which allowed enough money to be made to service playing football at a higher level; a theoretical merger of City and Forest would create one team with a wider catchment area/possible number of fans, which would make enough money to...

Sorry, you've lost me there. I was trying to say that just as (as I see it) merging Rushden and Irthlingborough created one team with a wider catchment area/possible number of fans, which allowed enough money to be made to service playing football at a higher level; a theoretical merger of City and Forest would create one team with a wider catchment area/possible number of fans, which would make enough money to...

Yes that's what I was worried you meant.

KTFC youth team players are out in the car park with brooms while a decorating and signage team try to shift the old corporate image as quickly as they can.

With the Poppies chairman trying to trump the Cobblers ticket offer to old R&D fans, the reception has been taking applications for season tickets non-stop for two days.

On the back of a highly successful pre-season (with a couple of very decent signings) the future is looking good for Kettering.

If out of all of this shit Northants can have a second team which is able to stand on its own, with a secure future, in the Conf/Div.IV I'll be a happy man.

577212dc-2e40-22e0.jpg

577212dc-2e65-b26c.jpg

577212dc-2e82-a4dc.jpg

577212dc-2e9d-9830.jpg

R.I.P. Diamonds, you weren't forever.

Maybe if they had put their name on the side of the stadium more people would have known who they were and where the stadium was?

:tumbleweed:

Friar Lane & Epworth have dropped out of the Midlands Football Alliance because of lack of players. They will play in the Leicestershire Senior League Division 1 this year with mostly the reserve squad from last year.

They spent five years in the MFA, and it is too bad things have happened this way.

Meh, their left midfielder a few years ago decided it was a good idea to clean me out above the ankle and wreck my ligaments and tendon whilst I was playing for Holwell so I won't shed too many tears.

(plus I got bitten by a chicken when I was about 6 watching my dad play there so that annoys me too :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669