"Manager Speaks" - The Fall of Martin Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Connolly

Having been shocked, and maybe disappointed at the departure of Martin Allen in the week, I've been thinking what could have been the factors that led to him leaving.

We all knows the rumours of the 'rifts' and 'bust-ups' between Milan and Martin, but I am sure, along with many other fans, that there is way more depth to this, and that there is certainly more to this than meets the eye.

So I was thinking - possibly one of the factors that caused him to leave was his "Manager Speaks" updates.

Having enjoyed them myself which included the infamous Alex Ferguson and Steve Bruce joke, and many other stories told by Martin himself, it actually simply devalued the forms of media that are offered to us such as Leicester City World.

Being a subscriber myself, I sometimes felt I had wasted my money on what seemed to be an exclusive way of getting the thoughts of the manager through interviews and after match press conferences.

So maybe the point of Leicester City being a club 'too big' for him, and the communicative Allen was the architect of his own downfall.

I think he was just a shit Manager, a loud mouthed buffoon, a pain in the arse of the club, a pain in the arse of MM, a barrier to MM's one year plan, an all round lunatic, and somebody who was too fond of his own voice.

I don't think it was anything more than that TBH.

Last edited:
I think he was just a shit Manager, a loud mouthed buffoon, a pain in the arse of the club, a pain in the arse of MM, a barrier to MM's one year plan, an all round lunatic, and somebody who was too fond of his own voice.

I don't think it was anything more than that TBH.

Bollocks to all of those reasons. I mean, MM may have felt that, but I'd disagree.

So I was thinking - possibly one of the factors that caused him to leave was his "Manager Speaks" updates.

Having enjoyed them myself which included the infamous Alex Ferguson and Steve Bruce joke, and many other stories told by Martin himself, it actually simply devalued the forms of media that are offered to us such as Leicester City World.

Being a subscriber myself, I sometimes felt I had wasted my money on what seemed to be an exclusive way of getting the thoughts of the manager through interviews and after match press conferences.

So maybe the point of Leicester City being a club 'too big' for him, and the communicative Allen was the architect of his own downfall.

A Brentford fan confirmed this to me - he likes to run the whole show from PR and marketing to management. The finicial position at Brentford and the naive new-wave feel of MK Dons allowed him to do this. The fact they were smaller clubs also helped - people had jobs which covered 2 or 3 areas, at City everyone has a specific job.

I think 'Manager Speaks' is/has been a power tool at every club he's managed. It allows him to get the fans on his side and in his corner.

i'll put it simply, MILAN MANDARIC = C*NT.....

yes we have his money and yes if he goes we can't afford the new players' wages, im not stupid, but, getting rid of a man with such passion and desire was, in my opinion, a ridiculous decision especially this early on in the season. We NEED someone with his sort of firepower and determinaton and if we get a prick like Glenn Roeder, or Megson, i'm afraid it wll be a very boring season, one with no adventure or suspense and above all, we'll probably end up mid table, rather than pushing for promotion. At east with Allen in charge we had that belief that we were going somewhere and he was 110% determined to get the best from the players and provide us, the paying audience, with a spectacle to enjoy until the next game. i.e standing on the pitch before Watford and getting us fired up, then stuffing them 4-1! I just hope Mandaric can sort this mess out TODAY!!! :mad:

yes we have his money and yes if he goes we can't afford the new players' wages, im not stupid, but, getting rid of a man with such passion and desire was, in my opinion, a ridiculous decision especially this early on in the season. We NEED someone with his sort of firepower and determinaton and if we get a prick like Glenn Roeder, or Megson, i'm afraid it wll be a very boring season, one with no adventure or suspense and above all, we'll probably end up mid table, rather than pushing for promotion. At east with Allen in charge we had that belief that we were going somewhere and he was 110% determined to get the best from the players and provide us, the paying audience, with a spectacle to enjoy until the next game. i.e standing on the pitch before Watford and getting us fired up, then stuffing them 4-1! I just hope Mandaric can sort this mess out TODAY!!! :mad:

managers come and go chairman too, loyal fans are here till the death.
dont burn your season ticket or tear it up in front of mm.instead give it to a fan that would like to watch our great club, but cant afford to, and then close the door on your way out.

Been talking to a Pompey fan this morning. He took the pi** then said -"to be expected" ! . they had 6 managers in 4 years before 'Arry went there and got them promoted. - Rix, Claridge, Bob Wilson , 2 foreign blokes + 1 other ,,, non are what I'd call top experienced people , until Harry went there - and even then i remeber he left and went back. !

So the writing could be on the wall here lads.... the 1 year plan might need 6 managers to get there !!

:icon_eek:

So the writing could be on the wall here lads.... the 1 year plan might need 6 managers to get there !!

:icon_eek:

But if we do actually get there I couldn't give a toss - and neither will most of the 'outraged' and 'devastated' fans we have heard from over the last 48 hours

managers come and go chairman too, loyal fans are here till the death.
dont burn your season ticket or tear it up in front of mm.instead give it to a fan that would like to watch our great club, but cant afford to, and then close the door on your way out.

do u want my ticket? :098:

standing on the pitch before Watford and getting us fired up, then stuffing them 4-1!

I would think that was more for MM's benefit, 'the fans love me and you would be stupid to sack me' ego.

Your post would have been expected as a knee jerk reaction straight after the event, but two days later seems very naive IMO.

MM feels he was not right for the job, end of.

A Brentford fan confirmed this to me - he likes to run the whole show from PR and marketing to management. The finicial position at Brentford and the naive new-wave feel of MK Dons allowed him to do this. The fact they were smaller clubs also helped - people had jobs which covered 2 or 3 areas, at City everyone has a specific job.

I think 'Manager Speaks' is/has been a power tool at every club he's managed. It allows him to get the fans on his side and in his corner.

Exactly - Martin may have been able to do this at a 'small club' like Brentford or MK Dons - but not at a club with a high profile, multi-millionaire chairman and an army of staff behind him all in their own departments.

Top post. ;)

I can see where your coming from but I'm sure that Milan wouldnt get rid of Allen like that, at this time, if it wasnt for constant problems and argueing - and therefore I believe there is/was more depth to this.

But if we do actually get there I couldn't give a toss - and neither will most of the 'outraged' and 'devastated' fans we have heard from over the last 48 hours

agree , I didn't say I would be one of the "devastated brigade"...

i was preparing them for the "counselling" they may need !

I would think that was more for MM's benefit, 'the fans love me and you would be stupid to sack me' ego.

Your post would have been expected as a knee jerk reaction straight after the event, but two days later seems very naive IMO.

Great post NF.

I only heard about MA standing on the pitch Yesterday. The first thought that jumped into my head was "What an egostistical, self appreciating, big headed, manipulative prick", so I stopped thinking about myself for a moment and thought about MA instead and I still drew the same conclusion.

Last edited:

MM's or MA's?

Great post NF.

I only heard about MA standing on the pitch Yesterday. The first thought that jumped into my head was "What an egostistical, self appreciating, big headed, manipulative prick", so I stopped thinking about myself for a moment and thought about MA instead and I still drew the same conclusion.

at least its good of you to admit it :icon_lol::icon_wink

I only heard about MA standing on the pitch Yesterday. The first thought that jumped into my head was "What an egostistical, self appreciating, big headed, manipulative prick",

I thought that when he did it - it really pissed me off actually

Now I understand why he did it. It was a desperate attempt to force Milan's hand - but he underestimated just how ruthless the bloke is

Big mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570