Martin's strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...so we should spend it wisely on quality rather than throwing wages away on unproven players as we have been doing for the past 7-8 years.

Am I being really stupid?

Proven quality players aren't likely to come here unless we offer them higher wages than 'better' clubs (or longer contracts), so it's not really going to be value for money.

Martin O'Neill did it by spending money on quality unproven players. If you have a manager / scout who can spot this kind of player it's the best way to get value for money. Whether we have that at the moment I don't know.
Signing young unproven players can be a good investment if we can sell them on for a profit in a couple of years (like McCarthy for example).

Really I think we need maybe a couple of quality older players who can hold the team together, with some younger players who are enthusiastic have something to prove. If we can get the balance right, and get the right players, it should be possible to build a promotion challenging squad without spending a fortune. But the most important thing is having a manager who can spot players with potential, and get them playing to the best of their ability.

Proven quality players aren't likely to come here unless we offer them higher wages

Even with higher wages, how many proven quality players in their right mind are going to opt for a struggling championship club that has narowly missed relegation in the last two seasons and could well be in the same position for the next two seasons.

Let's face facts, we are no longer the sort of club that MoN took to the Premiership, in fact, I would say that we are about as far away from it as we could get, so, people, start facing facts and accepting the sort of club that we have become and stop expecting miracles ... there ain't gonna be any.

Even with higher wages, how many proven quality players in their right mind are going to opt for a struggling championship club that has narowly missed relegation in the last two seasons and could well be in the same position for the next two seasons.

Let's face facts, we are no longer the sort of club that MoN took to the Premiership, in fact, I would say that we are about as far away from it as we could get, so, people, start facing facts and accepting the sort of club that we have become and stop expecting miracles ... there ain't gonna be any.

Interesting interpretation.

My take is similar except that the assumption was that Milan was going to tempt in a better quality player on the back of high wages.

So far it seems - either he is not prepared to spend the money on wages these days or alternatively better players (albeit on Bosmans/ frees etc) are not willing to sign for Leicester.

Also is Martin Allen the sort of manager experienced. quality players want to sign for? Not a very nice question but one which i think is valid.

Of course, people like me could be panicking and just round the corner there could be a string of genuinely impressive signings.....but I somehow doubt it.

Good points SJN and Redditch. We look at the goings on as fans but players will look at things differently. If you are a class player are you going to plump for a team that has been K wrap for the last 3 years and have a manager that is untried at this level? I think that before we can even start to get in the sort of player like that we need to get some credibility as a club within player circles which will take a good season. Wolves are now in this position where they are seen as serious promotion contenders, they will not have problems attracting quality players where-as with us it will either take a good season (like Wolves) or at least if we are in the mix come January when we might attract the right kind of player. I think that MD (can't stand the term MA) is being astute in not collecting has beens unlike some other managers do. I am in agreement with the others, we can't comment on these players untill we see them play!! Have patience !!

Good points SJN and Redditch. We look at the goings on as fans but players will look at things differently. If you are a class player are you going to plump for a team that has been K wrap for the last 3 years and have a manager that is untried at this level? I think that before we can even start to get in the sort of player like that we need to get some credibility as a club within player circles which will take a good season. Wolves are now in this position where they are seen as serious promotion contenders, they will not have problems attracting quality players where-as with us it will either take a good season (like Wolves) or at least if we are in the mix come January when we might attract the right kind of player. I think that MD (can't stand the term MA) is being astute in not collecting has beens unlike some other managers do. I am in agreement with the others, we can't comment on these players untill we see them play!! Have patience !!

erm...who's MD & what does K Wrap mean??

So the signings we've made so far are not good enough...?

If we are being realistic about it (which we are not!) then let's look at the players we have "missed". I've made a hasty list of players signed by other Championship clubs so far (excluding one or two foriegn names I'd never heard of and the innevitable load that I've missed - please fill in)

Karl Hawley, Jon Otsemobor, Billy Jones, Paul Hayes, Andy Johnson, Robbie Simpson, Paddy McCarthy, Jobi McAnuff, Kayode Odejayi, Gabor Kiraly, Mart Poom, Tony Capaldi, Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, Matt Jackson, Douglas Rinaldi, Luke Varney

One or two decent prospects in there, but nothing that would really get me going. But that's it, between 23 other clubs. And some of these have gone for fairly large slices of cash too.

In summary... what's the problem? Chill yer beans!

Last edited:
It's like crap, but it takes longer to type.

Gotcha, :icon_conf, after further guessing & head scratching I'm going to go for MD = Mad Dog?

Why do people need to be cryptic on a Monday morning?

Proven quality players aren't likely to come here unless we offer them higher wages than 'better' clubs (or longer contracts), so it's not really going to be value for money.

Martin O'Neill did it by spending money on quality unproven players. If you have a manager / scout who can spot this kind of player it's the best way to get value for money. Whether we have that at the moment I don't know.
Signing young unproven players can be a good investment if we can sell them on for a profit in a couple of years (like McCarthy for example).

Really I think we need maybe a couple of quality older players who can hold the team together, with some younger players who are enthusiastic have something to prove. If we can get the balance right, and get the right players, it should be possible to build a promotion challenging squad without spending a fortune. But the most important thing is having a manager who can spot players with potential, and get them playing to the best of their ability.

I agree with every ounce of that post.

Interesting interpretation.

My take is similar except that the assumption was that Milan was going to tempt in a better quality player on the back of high wages.

So far it seems - either he is not prepared to spend the money on wages these days or alternatively better players (albeit on Bosmans/ frees etc) are not willing to sign for Leicester.

Also is Martin Allen the sort of manager experienced. quality players want to sign for? Not a very nice question but one which i think is valid.

Of course, people like me could be panicking and just round the corner there could be a string of genuinely impressive signings.....but I somehow doubt it.

I'm inclined to agree with this - no point in splashing any cash at the moment on 3-4 players when we need 10 for a decent squad. Mak ethis year the consolidation year to mid table, show ambition and improvement and then maybe next year the 3-4 quality signings would make the difference required.

If we only get a 3-4 this year and don;t get up, which givent he rest of the squad would be highly likely, would these new guys be willing to play another year or two in the Championship? If they left we'd be back at square one.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670